Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

rustinglass

It sounds way way cooler. And if you think that makes him egocentric....

Quote from: Lars von TrierMy very first film, the short film The Orchid Gardener, opened with a caption stating that the film was dedicated to a girl who had died of leukaemia, giving the dates of her birth and death. That was entirely fabricated. A complete lie. And manipulative and cynical, because I realised that if you started a film like that, then the audience would take it a lot more seriously.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ono

That's not egocentric, that's really quite perceptive and creative.  Reminds me of some of the Coens' antics.

rustinglass

Of course. But one thing doesn't rule out the other.
I think that, however a horrible person he may be, he is one of the most intelligent and creative people in the business.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

modage

Quote from: rustinglassOf course. But one thing doesn't rule out the other.
I think that, however a horrible person he may be, he is one of the most intelligent and creative people in the business.
and that would be the business of lying about sicknesses.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pastor Parsley

I agree it's a little immature to judge a piece of art by judging the artist.

Thankfully I have yet to lose a loved one to cancer.  But I have known others who have, and to watch someone's life crumble after losing someone they loved to such a disease is unbelievable.  I think for Lars to pull such a stunt is awful and really disrespectful.  Creativity and skill, done with integrity is how you get an audience to take your work seriously.  If you have to resort to cheap stunts to do so, you're no better than Tarantino.  

I've never been too impressed by most of his films with the exception of Dancer in the Dark which is absolutely incredible.

Alethia

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyI've never been too impressed by most of his films with the exception of Dancer in the Dark which is absolutely incredible.

see The Idiots right now.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pastor Parsley

I agree it's a little immature to judge a piece of art by judging the artist.

Thankfully I have yet to lose a loved one to cancer.  But I have known others who have, and to watch someone's life crumble after losing someone they loved to such a disease is unbelievable.  I think for Lars to pull such a stunt is awful and really disrespectful.  Creativity and skill, done with integrity is how you get an audience to take your work seriously.  If you have to resort to cheap stunts to do so, you're no better than Tarantino.  

I've never been too impressed by most of his films with the exception of Dancer in the Dark which is absolutely incredible.
it was his first film. a short film that no one will ever see or care about except as a curio.

who cares, sheesh.
under the paving stones.

pete

I don't think von trier is in "the business."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

He's not in the business of making films?  Then OMG, what the hell have I been watching?  :(

MacGuffin

Wellspring loading 'Wendy' for U.S.

Wellspring, a division of American Vantage Media Corp., has acquired U.S. rights to "Dear Wendy," a film collaboration between Dogme 95 comrades Thomas Vinterberg and Lars von Trier. "Wendy," described as an acerbic commentary on American gun culture, appeared at this year's Sundance Film Festival and stars Jaime Bell, Bill Pullman and Mark Webber. It was directed by Vinterberg and written by von Trier. Nimbus Film and Zentropa produced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

analogzombie

Quote from: MacGuffinWellspring loading 'Wendy' for U.S.

Wellspring, a division of American Vantage Media Corp., has acquired U.S. rights to "Dear Wendy," a film collaboration between Dogme 95 comrades Thomas Vinterberg and Lars von Trier. "Wendy," described as an acerbic commentary on American gun culture,

I still find it interesting that Von Trier comments on a society he has never actually visisted.

what it really is, is a comment on his perception of America's gun culture, a perception that he has developed from exposure to American entertainment and news
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

kotte

Quote from: analogzombie
Quote from: MacGuffinWellspring loading 'Wendy' for U.S.

Wellspring, a division of American Vantage Media Corp., has acquired U.S. rights to "Dear Wendy," a film collaboration between Dogme 95 comrades Thomas Vinterberg and Lars von Trier. "Wendy," described as an acerbic commentary on American gun culture,

I still find it interesting that Von Trier comments on a society he has never actually visisted.

what it really is, is a comment on his perception of America's gun culture, a perception that he has developed from exposure to American entertainment and news

But I think it's true that, to an extent, everyone knows America.
It's not just about the entertainment and news. It's about everything, it's about a culture that is, well I wouldn't go as far as to say America force their culture on the world, but close and the world embraces it as something godsent. It's easy to hate America, it's an easy target but it's old now. Why can't people take responsibility for their own life and live it their own way. Drink Coke, hate McDonalds...whatever. It doesn't matter.

context, context, context.

The Perineum Falcon

From Twitch Film

Von Trier Delaying Completion of America Trilogy To Shoot New Dogme Film

Some interesting news out of Cannes today from Screen Daily ... Danish auteur Lars Von Trier is reported stalling Wasington - the third film in his America trilogy - until 2007 so that he can shoot a new Dogme-style film in February titled Direktoren For Det Hele, which translates roughly to Managing Director Of It All. From the sounds of things it will be a film about people in the film industry, a topic Von Trier knows plenty about considering his production companies have a finger in just about every major production to come out of Scandanavia.

In other Von Trier news, the word on the street is that his Antichrist horror project is dead, though I can't find solid confirmation of that. It's sad if true ... his Kingdom mini-series is one of the strangest and most compelling horror entries of the past few years ...
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.