Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

Adam0199

I think Lars Von Trier deserves his own category here. He is one of the most unique filmmakers working today. His work is very dense and intriguing and deserves close scrutiny and discussion. Emily Watson in Punch Drunk vs. Breaking the Waves? PT Anderson has agreed that it was the film, her debut, where he first took notice. Nothing is wasted in his films, everything is important and everything crucial.

How original was The Idiots?

Interested in your comments.

Peace,
Adam
Brian De Palma “Repeat yourself-only better.”

I knew that if I had the chance to direct a film that it would be an unpleasant experience, which it was and still is and never ends because one has a million chances to control things and people. Especially people and things, things and people. Controlling people . . . it's just hateful, it's the most horrible thing in the world and I'm very vindictive and unforgiving and punishing and it's horrible. And I knew I would be sucked in and I would have to control the food at craft service and I would have to control everything and if one thing didn't go right I would have to punish everyone. -Vincent Gallo

Rudie Obias

that's agreed.  i loved DANCER IN THE DARK.  in fact i just bought the dvd the other day, i'm letting my buddy borrow it cuz he's never seen it.  good film.  rock!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Gold Trumpet

Of course Breaking the Waves would be the first movie PTA took notice of her, because it was her first film.

I've only seen his last two films, but I wish he would get away from the Dogme 95 influence and understand that it is doing him no good at all. Realism and emotion can be shown in a much better way than just have a shaky camera and bad lighting all the time. Dogme 95 has no understanding at all of how to show realistic emotion in a movie.

~rougerum

New Feeling

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
I've only seen his last two films, but I wish he would get away from the Dogme 95 influence and understand that it is doing him no good at all. Realism and emotion can be shown in a much better way than just have a shaky camera and bad lighting all the time. Dogme 95 has no understanding at all of how to show realistic emotion in a movie.

~rougerum

There are many people who find these films to be among the most devitstating works of art they have ever experienced.  Maybe you should learn to realize that just because you can't accept something doesn't mean it's not working...

(btw, I'm not a big fan of either of these movies, but there is no denying their effectiveness)

Gold Trumpet

hah, my opinion.  This is a discussion board, right? i didn't  say anyone who likes the movie is terribe, just that they don't work. Should I say "in my opinon" before everything I say or tell you to understand the obvious?

~rougerum

Rudie Obias

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetthe Dogme 95 influence

can someone explain this to me?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

phil marlowe

Quote from: The Gold Trumpethah, my opinion.  This is a discussion board, right? i didn't  say anyone who likes the movie is terribe, just that they don't work. Should I say "in my opinon" before everything I say or tell you to understand the obvious?

I believe we have had this discussion before so please don't bring it up. It's boring and pointless.

Quote from: rudieob

I believe Trier shot on DV long before the dogme concept was born. And wasn't it Trier who gave birth to the dogme ideals? Trier Influenced dogme 95. Not the other way around.

I agree that Dancer didn't work completely at times though. To me, it tended  to get a little bit boring.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Adam0199I think Lars Von Trier deserves his own category here.

I agree. Trier is brilliant :-D

MacGuffin

The Vow Of Chastity

"I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by DOGME 95:

1. Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).

2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot).

3. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; shooting must take place where the film takes place).

4. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).

5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.

6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)

7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)

8. Genre movies are not acceptable.

9. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.

10. The director must not be credited.

Furthermore I swear as a director to refrain from personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear to refrain from creating a "work", as I regard the instant as more important than the whole. My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and settings. I swear to do so by all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations.
Thus I make my VOW OF CHASTITY."

Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995

Lar Van Trier
Thomas Vinterberg
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Phil Marlowe

I believe Trier shot on DV long before the dogme concept was born. And wasn't it Trier who gave birth to the dogme ideals? Trier Influenced dogme 95. Not the other way around.

I agree that Dancer didn't work completely at times though. To me, it tended  to get a little bit boring.

ummm...  i don't think you've answered my question.  what is dogme 95?

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Phil Marlowe

ummm...  i don't think you've answered my question.  what is dogme 95?

nevermind.

Cecil

i find the dogme 95 rules interesting, and respect the reason for its existence. but again, i feel that in filmmaking there are no rules. i would like to make a film some day breaking all of the dogme rules. i dont think the result would be a more "mainstream" film, au contraire

RegularKarate

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi find the dogme 95 rules interesting, and respect the reason for its existence. but again, i feel that in filmmaking there are no rules. i would like to make a film some day breaking all of the dogme rules. i dont think the result would be a more "mainstream" film, au contraire

Most films break all the dogme rules and I believe the rules that were set were supposed to be ironic.

Cecil

Quote from: RegularKarate
Most films break all the dogme rules

i meant to purposefully break the rules. for example, the hand held rule. well the camera would be on a tripod, but the viewer would be aware that a tripod is being used (the scene is happening as the camera is being screwed on, during the scene the cameraman picks up the tripod, takes a few steps closer to the actors, sets it back down).

RegularKarate

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: RegularKarate
Most films break all the dogme rules

i meant to purposefully break the rules. for example, the hand held rule. well the camera would be on a tripod, but the viewer would be aware that a tripod is being used (the scene is happening as the camera is being screwed on, during the scene the cameraman picks up the tripod, takes a few steps closer to the actors, sets it back down).

That would be hilarious.

Especially if they pulled the macho, tripod over the shoulder move with the cam going.