Memorable theater experiences

Started by rustinglass, October 01, 2003, 01:30:02 PM

rustinglass

I don't know if this was discussed before.

List the mmost memorable theater experiences of your life.

The second time i went to see magnolia there were only 4 people in the room (myself and my friend included), no phones ringing, no coughing, no popcorn, the most peaceful I ever was watching a film.

A couple of years ago there was this portuguese film out, O delfim (the dauphin), I went to see it with my brother. There were few people in the room and one of them was VirgĂ­lio Teixeira one of the greatest actors of portuguese cinema! He's old and sick, he had the occasional cough-attack. But there he was, this forgotten god, watching the biggest portuguese film of the year in the same shitty room as I was(bastards didn't even invite him to the preview). I felt special

some other experiences, I will not share 8)
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

My early preview of Magnolia, packed to the brim. Grand!

And right up there is when I drove across the city (which I generally never did because I hate driving) in Vancouver to this old theatre when it was playing Apocalypse Now Redux. It was also packed. They were playing Buckets Of Rain by Dylan as I sat down. Right as the movie started, some bastard began to talk, and his hot girlfriend grabbed him, and hauled him out, telling him to shut up and that he's gonna ruin it for everyone else. He wasn't into even seeing the movie, and she wouldn't let him come back in the theatre. She left with him so the rest of us could see the flick in peace. Now that's a woman! Needless to say, the rest of the screening was wonderful. Since it was so long, and it was quite late at night, and I was so tired, I had my head in just the right near-surreal state of mind for everything to feel just perfect.

Third would be the time I finally nutted up and asked the girl I was in love with in highschool to a date. Here was me, with this popular, super-hot chick, on a date. Her friends didn't want her to go with me, and my friends coulnd't believe it. Anyway, we went to the godawful Varsity Blues, and I've never talked during a movie, but it sucked balls so bad, her and I sat in the back and made fun of it together. It was classic. Then, when she got up to go to the bathroom, she almost tripped over me and fell. It seemed so cute and awkward in such a nice way.

Too bad the rest of my relationship with her was breakneck-speed downhill from there...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Seeing "Ikiru" with an intellectual crowd of filmgoers during the Toronto International Film Festival was a very fulfilling experience for me. Only a handful of people out of approximately 250. Near sellout crowd. When there was comedy, there were big laughs, and when it came near the end, there were the tears.. it was a great experience to be apart of.. just feeling that film passion in the room.

anakin_e

Well, while not a euphoric experience, a funny thing happened when i went to see "Attack of the Clones", it was the first show on opening day, but my second time seeing the film as I got into a speacial screening the night before. Anyway, we'd all been in line for three hours outside, and after storming the front of the theater (tha manager was scared shitless) we're all sitting there, excited as hell, and the movie starts, people cheer, it's all good (I actually enjoy the film, but that's not what we're discussing here) and about ten minutes in a cell phone goes off, and everyone yells and bickers, for the next few minutes it continues to go off, we assumed that whoever is too embarrased to pick it up, after a bit people get really irritated. Eventually a guy runs downthe stairs, finds the phone in a jacket on an empty chair (the guy must have been taking a piss) and smashes the phone on the ground. The whole theatre bursts into applause and cheers, "...as if a millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." It was pretty cool.
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

Quote from: SoNowThengodawful Varsity Blues
I liked Varsity Blues.  :(

Anyway, good experiences in theatres:

Punch-Drunk Love, first time.  And second time.  And the two times I've seen it on DVD.  :D

Orange County.  Only me and one other guy in the whole room at a matinee.  Another film I like that doesn't seem to be highly regarded.  Along with Finding Forrester.  I guess I just have a soft spot for those writer themed things.

Bad experience: Chicago.  Bleh.  A whole bunch of teens sitting in the back talking to each other and on cell phones.  Don't go to mainstream theatres on Friday or Saturday night.  Lesson learned.  Almost ruined the movie for me, which I thought was pretty good, but of course no best picture.

Spike

I was alone in the theatre when I watched "Man On The Moon" and "Old School". Was quiet nice.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

MacGuffin

I'm having 'Best Cinema Experience' flashbacks from the C&C board.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoob  
Is that Colin Mochrie?

Or Churchill.. one or the other, I guess..

Banky

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: SoNowThengodawful Varsity Blues
I liked Varsity Blues.  :(

yeah that was one of the best teen films of its time

samsong

most recently, seeing Scarface at the cinerama dome on sunset (part of the arclight)... i live in california...

other experiences that i wont forget:

Lawrence of Arabia
2001: A Space Odyssey
They Live By Night
Raging Bull
The General
Battleship Potemkin
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (Herzog retrospective... he was there for the screening)
Punch-Drunk Love
Talk to Her
Adaptation (LA premiere at the Egyptian)
The Right Stuff (10th anniversary cast and crew reunion)
Mulholland Drive
Lost in Translation (sneak preview w/ Sofia Copploa and Bill Murray)
The Night of the Hunter (Festival of Preservation at UCLA)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - restored cut
Apocalypse Now Redux
Star Wars: A New Hope rerelease

cine

I am so jealous of you that it's disgusting.

Alethia

seeing PDL with a crowd of people who actually like it as much as i do, and sitting about three feet to the left of PTA, and later hearing him tell me he liked my shoes....(the rochester screening)

attack of the clones, everyone burst out laughing during the romantic scenes....

going to a theatre and seeing a sign that said "we DO NOT give refunds for adaptation"....

when i saw AI a big big big guy behind me was crying his eyes out....

my stories kinda suck.

Weak2ndAct

Amusing and geeky: I went and saw Mulholland Dr. opening weekend at the Vista on Sunset, a nice old-school 1 screen theatre.  And who should sit right in front of me?  Quentin Tarantino.  I had seen the movie already thankfully, so I did a very Quentin-thing and watched him watching the movie.  He whispered to the chica he was with during some moments (I snickered when he pointed out that Robert Forser was in 'Jackie Brown') and his enthusiasm for the film was evident.  He howled at the botched 'hitman' scene, was totally with it.  After the film was over he was the first one clapping.  I decided to not harass him after the movie (it was hard to resist), but it still was an experience I won't forget.

2nd place: Seeing 100 people walk out of Boogie Nights during Dirk's gay-trick scene.

3rd place: Seeing Magnolia and an advance screening w/ 250 people who had no idea what they were getting into.

Pas

When I went to see The Order, the mayor of my town was there. And in the middle of the movie, he got up and screamed (literally screamed) : "BLASPHEMY !" and got out almost running. The whole theater started to laugh and laugh and laugh. It was hysterical. That was awesome.

Quote from: Weak2ndActAmusing and geeky: I went and saw Mulholland Dr. opening weekend at the Vista on Sunset, a nice old-school 1 screen theatre.  And who should sit right in front of me?  Quentin Tarantino.  I had seen the movie already thankfully, so I did a very Quentin-thing and watched him watching the movie.  He whispered to the chica he was with during some moments (I snickered when he pointed out that Robert Forser was in 'Jackie Brown') and his enthusiasm for the film was evident.  He howled at the botched 'hitman' scene, was totally with it.  After the film was over he was the first one clapping.  I decided to not harass him after the movie (it was hard to resist), but it still was an experience I won't forget. .

Oh man that's just an awesome story ! I wish stuff like that happened to me... that must've been great.

Quote from: Weak2ndAct2nd place: Seeing 100 people walk out of Boogie Nights during Dirk's gay-trick scene..

Hahaha ! More than half the theater got out before the end when I saw it too...that means like 4-5 people though.