Stephen Colbert

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 17, 2005, 10:42:49 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This show is hilarious.

I was wondering if it would stretch thin with comedy having a dual Daily Show/Colbert Report, but the show is still very hilarious. 

"Books are all fact, no heart."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Weird. Oh

I think having a studio audience was the only bad part. Best debut: Stone Philips in an anchor-off.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Tonight's was pretty damned hilarious as well.

I see good things coming from this show.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

Quote from: walruSThis show is hilarious.

I was wondering if it would stretch thin with comedy having a dual Daily Show/Colbert Report, but the show is still very hilarious.  

"Books are all fact, no heart."

i saw that. it was some funny shit. only weird thing was when they turned the camera on the camera operator (or something) and you could see the teleprompter in the background.  kinda ruined the vibe for a split second.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Hedwig
i saw that. it was some funny shit. only weird thing was when they turned the camera on the camera operator (or something) and you could see the teleprompter in the background.  kinda ruined the vibe for a split second.

Yeah, I wondered if they were going to use a joke on that, but they didn't, so it really just destroyed the mysticism of them making it up on the spot.

Tictacbk

My standards for this show weren't necessarily low...but I wasn't too sure what to expect.  These last to episodes have been hilarious.  I was worried it'd be the daily show 2.  But its almost like its more fake than the daily show and makes fun of the news instead of the people in the news.

Yea thats the best i can explain it for now...

"I Should be on 60 minutes, I just nailed you!"

hedwig

one other thing - i've got high hopes, however, i do think there's some validity in this paragraph (particularly the bold)  from Slate:

Quote from: this Slate articleThe whole joke of Colbert's persona is that he deliberately avoids asking those questions, or indeed, any questions at all. Stephen Colbert (or "Stephen Colbert," the character he plays) is proudly ignorant, aggressively obtuse—qualities that make him perfectly suited for parodying the new breed of cable-news bloviators. But by its very nature, the position Colbert occupies—the butt of his own show's joke—seems more difficult to sustain than Stewart's role as the eternal observer.

i'm curious to see how he'll pull it off.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

While I agree that Colbert was hilarious in small doses, his satire on pompous news reporters has yet to let me down.  

The new guy that filled in for him on the Daily Show last night is sort of iffy.  I mean, it was his first one, so I'll have to warm up to him (I'm just recently adjusting to the guy that filled in for Carrell.)

As long as Colbert will have the The Word of the day with those bullet points when he talks, I will watch the show.

Ravi

Its a pretty funny satire on the blowhards of the industry.  He's great at playing the smarmy asshole.

Gamblour.

He's got some amazing lines:

"Open wide baby bird, cuz momma's got a big fat nightcrawler of truth."

"And with any luck, these two will mate, uniting America with the vastness of space in a beautiful but unholy, galactic sexual congress."

Edit:
I have to add that "The Word" is just fucking brilliant. the way the text counterpoints and justifies what he says, it's so damn smart. Like the text is its own autonomous entity.

And the word bacchanalia is coming up too much lately. I love that word.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

This show is proving to be fantastic.  I look forward to it as much as or more than I do The Daily Show.

Gamblour.

See what I did? I nailed you.

Bears!
WWPTAD?

72teeth

Colbert doing the walkout insted of the guest = funny shit
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

polkablues

Something was driving me crazy last night: does anybody know how... when he's debating himself and they're cutting back and forth, a la Gollum... how the righteous fuck do they make his tie change color?  My ability to sleep at night may depend on getting an answer to this question.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

Quote from: polkablues on November 16, 2005, 08:34:27 PM
Something was driving me crazy last night: does anybody know how... when he's debating himself and they're cutting back and forth, a la Gollum... how the righteous fuck do they make his tie change color?  My ability to sleep at night may depend on getting an answer to this question.

They probably tape him saying all his lines for one side, then he changes his tie, then they tape him saying the lines for the other side.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Or a wizard did it.