Favorite Music Videos

Started by BonBon85, January 22, 2003, 05:13:32 PM

i'm currently obsessed with this video and song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjwXXCJs7PU&mode=related&search=

new order & the chemical brothers - here to stay
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

I'm not so much a fan of the song, but this video is pretty awesome. Especially the VHS jogs.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Ghostboy on May 06, 2007, 02:37:05 PM
I'm not so much a fan of the song, but this video is pretty awesome. Especially the VHS jogs.
Yes, yes, the jogs. Definitely the jogs. And nothing else but the jogs....
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

"Seems like this record came out like four years ago, right? "Juicebox" leaked and set an underwhelming first impression of First Impressions in late '05, so in blog years it was ages ago -- but when a Lucasfilm art director (Warren Fu) says he's "determined" and inspired, why not take him up on his intergalactic cinema chops. The vid is composed "entirely of CGI ... [paying] homage to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey as well as the NASA spacecrafts of the 1970's." After a cool use of the abrupt outro cut from Impressions track "Ize Of The World," Fu's film unfolds, giving a futuristic spin on possibly the best Strokes song to date (i.e. 1977 A.D.)."

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/video/new-strokes-video-you-only-live-once.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

http://www.youtube.com/user/spoonfedcornbread

High-lights being The Delfonics and Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixy Down....

Seriously, there's something pretty beautiful about this collection and the way its presented.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

davidchili

guys check out this low-tech music video which only has one shot, showing only two hands...

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
link:

an old song, I know, but the video is a pretty recent one. crazy idea and great execution.
good dreamer, bad sleeper.

Pubrick

Quote from: davidchili on August 29, 2007, 04:08:25 AM
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
link:

for the first minute i was thinking "this is woeful", the reason why fan clips probly shouldn't appear in this thread.. then the actual gimmick began and i gotta say it's pretty well done. dude handling the camera had the easiest job of keeping the guy's head out of the shot and he failed miserably, so boo-urns to him.. but the idea was great, i especially like the combination with -ER words.
under the paving stones.

diggler

blue states - allies

a pretty low budget, yet creative video (is there any other kind nowadays?) for a great song

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

davidchili

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on August 29, 2007, 12:54:23 PM
blue states - allies

a pretty low budget, yet creative video (is there any other kind nowadays?) for a great song

i thought the guy would die 4 times at first, maybe it would be more interesting that way
good dreamer, bad sleeper.

picolas

Pubrick

^classic picolas.

Bat For Lashes - "What's A Girl To Do"

or if you like it. 

this is a video directed by Dougal Wilson who has previously made vids for Benny Benassi, The Streets, and Jarvis.

all downloadable from his page on the colonel blimp site.

i became a really big fan of the Benassi ("Satisfaction") because it was such a brilliant improvement on its original video which consisted of pretty much a static image of loser nobodies. the new concept by wilson was obvious but it's also one of the best of those made in the last few years. i didn't think much of the streets one or jarvis especially. then i caught this new one for Bat For Lashes late one nite and i was kinda blown away.

it took what i'd seen used in and made it spooky. i don't think the video has much to do with the lyrical content but it matches the music perfectly in atmosphere. i love the lights that pass by the far right/left edges of the frame and enhance the foreground via matching-coloured lens flares. most ppl would prolly prefer the feist video cos it looks more complicated but this hits a different spot just as well if not better.

the song's great too.
under the paving stones.

Pedro

Quote from: Pubrick on October 29, 2007, 03:46:52 AM
Bat For Lashes - "What's A Girl To Do"

Great video, I concur with the recommendation. Imagine the blooper reel.

Ghostboy

My new favorite video is the one I just did for Ola Podrida. I'll probably hate it in about a week, though, once the relief at having finished it fades away.

Watch it!

Pubrick

Quote from: Ghostboy on November 29, 2007, 06:55:56 PM
My new favorite video is the one I just did for Ola Podrida. I'll probably hate it in about a week, though, once the relief at having finished it fades away.

Watch it!

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Sweatband
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This was from earlier in the year, but I had just heard it.  I remembered hearing Robyn came out with a new CD, but being the girl that did "Show Me Love," I didn't really take it seriously.

I guess that's all behind her now and she's always been a huge fan of breakbeats and grime.  The sad part is... it's actually pretty cool.  I wish she would've at least changed her name so I wouldn't have to admit listening to Robyn.

Robyn - Konichiwa Bitches
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye