What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

Cecil

any movie that i would buy i would like a criterion edition of. but i doubt criterion would ever release, say, a 2-disc showgirls

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: cecil b. dementedany movie that i would buy i would like a criterion edition of. but i doubt criterion would ever release, say, a 2-disc showgirls

they would if i ran the company. and i would put in a commentary track  by Quentin Tarantino , who understood that movie for what it was . Just goofy fun. And anyone who grew up watching saved by the bell.........

life_boy

Cecil

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesand i would put in a commentary track  by Quentin Tarantino

tarantino should do more commentary tracks. is "rolling thunder pictures" dead?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesand i would put in a commentary track  by Quentin Tarantino

tarantino should do more commentary tracks. is "rolling thunder pictures" dead?

the guy just talks so much about films, he is born to do this

i love the idea of him doing commentary tracks

aurora

Badlands

With a audio commentary by Terrence Malick

That would be the greatest DVD of all time.

lamas

so we're basically listing our favorite films right?  why would you not want Criterion to release EVERY film DVD?  they simply do the best work.  

has anyone else actually sent an email to Criterion requesting they release a certain film?  i requested Louis Malle's Le Feu Follet.  i figured of all the films i could think of it's chances of actually being released would be the highest since it's never been released on DVD and the VHS copy is very rare so i would assume they could get the rights.  plus it influenced the royal tenenbaums (richie's suicide scene).

Duck Sauce

Quote from: lamasso we're basically listing our favorite films right?  why would you not want Criterion to release EVERY film DVD?  they simply do the best work.  

Your right, so I guess a better question would be which movies are most likely to see a criterion release.

life_boy

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: lamasso we're basically listing our favorite films right?  why would you not want Criterion to release EVERY film DVD?  they simply do the best work.  

Your right, so I guess a better question would be which movies are most likely to see a criterion release.

That's one reason I listed mainly old Criterion Laserdiscs.

cowboykurtis

antonioni's BLOW UP (why isnt this on dvd?)

bertolucci's The Conformist & Last Tango in Paris

Roeg's Don't Look Now
...your excuses are your own...

Gold Trumpet

I posted that one of the movies I would love love to see released by Criterion was Antonioni's L'Eclisse. Now comes word from the official spokesman, Jon Mulvaney on it in repliance to an email:

"We hope to release L'Eclisse sometime in the future, but nothing is definite at the moment."

Considering the man's elusiveness at saying anything, this is wonderful news.

~rougerum

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

Breathless
Sunrise

all the great Chaplin: Gold Rush, City Lights, Great Dictator, Modern Times..........buttttttttttt, the original versions......no Chaplin narration on Gold Rush.....original music, etc.....close to the originals as possible

The Graduate? if there are more things out there than is on the SE now.

Orson Welles - The Trial......i have a very cheap DVD by Laserlight i got for 7 bucks i think.....the film is great considering its bugdet......i'm just not sure if they could fix it much, well i'm sure they could fix the picture quality, but i think Welles ran out of money and had to do all voices post dubbed........it would be great if they could though

Bonnie and Clyde (is there a dvd out now?)
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Vivian Darkbloom

First of all, if you have no problems with region 2 releases, check the play.com website, you can find a decent copy of Pandora's Box with a great documentary about Louise Brooks...

So... Besides all the titles you listed (SIDNEY !), I would like to add to the list :

_ BLOW OUT, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT...

_ LOST HIGHWAY

_ LA DOLCE VITA (and whatever bits of MASTORNA they could find)

_ ALIEN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT (you talked about dreaming so let's be unrealistic for a minute and throw in a little STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY request)

_ ANNIe HALL (with deletd scenes even though I know this request is as realistic as a special edition of the man WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE's rough cut)

What do you say ?

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasall the great Chaplin: Gold Rush, City Lights, Great Dictator, Modern Times..........buttttttttttt, the original versions......no Chaplin narration on Gold Rush.....original music, etc.....close to the originals as possible

Warner Bros has announced that they'll be releasing the first four (in a series of ten) two-disc Chaplin Collection DVDs on July 1st: The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, Limelight and Modern Times (SRP $29.95 each). Four more films in the series will follow in the fall (titles TBA). Details on these first titles are as follows:

The Gold Rush will include both the 1942 re-release and the original silent version (with the cut footage reinstated and Chaplin's original score, newly reorchestrated in Dolby Digital 5.1 by Neil Brand). Extras will include the Chaplin Today - The Gold Rush: MK2TV retrospective documentary, an introduction by Chaplin biographer David Robinson, theatrical trailers from around the world, galleries of film posters and photos, an interview with Lita Grey Chaplin (his wife at the time of the film) and the original "scenario" written by Chaplin prior to filming (The Lucky Strike - A Play in Two Scenes).

Special features on The Great Dictator will include The Tramp and the Dictator: Acclaimed Turner Classic Movies documentary, rare color home movies shot on the set by Chaplin's half brother Sydney, a deleted scene from Chaplin's short film Sunnyside (1918 - which inspired his creation of the Jewish barber character), a Hitler/Mussolini excerpt from Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux, Chaplin's original story notes, drafts of scripts and production records documenting his creation of the film's impassioned final sequence, the soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1, a poster gallery and a 1933 Fox Movietone newsreel about Adolf Hitler.

Limelight will feature the Chaplin Today - Limelight: MK2TV documentary, a featurette on the seven other Chaplin family members in Limelight, 1952 and 1959 home movies of Chaplin's children and Chaplin in London, deleted scenes cut after the premiere (including "One-armed Man" scene), an introduction to the film by Chaplin biographer David Robinson, theatrical trailers from around the world, galleries of posters and photos, the soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1, and audio-only track of the film's score, sections of Chaplin's working text for the novel on which the film is based, a six-minute excerpt of the unfinished 1919 film, The Professor (which mirrors the Limelight fleas and flophouse scenes) and a production summary.

And finally, Modern Times will include the Chaplin Today - Modern Times: Insightful documentary, an introduction to the film by Chaplin biographer David Robinson, alternate scene (including the complete version of the nonsense song Chaplin sings in the cafe scene), the soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1, never-before-available original story notes, shooting log and production reports for the "feeding machine" sequence, a "video reminiscence" by musical arranger/composer David Raksin, theatrical trailers from around the world, galleries of film posters and photos and extensive production notes.

Each of the above sets will feature the film in full frame (1.37:1) aspect ratio, with English and French audio (dubbed in Québécois) and subtitles in English, French and Spanish.

Quote from: bigideasBonnie and Clyde (is there a dvd out now?)

Yes, but cheap snapper case version with just the trailer. Definitely deserves better:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks