Aquaman

Started by Kal, November 14, 2005, 10:55:05 AM

Kal

'Smallville' heads get OK for Aquaman pilot at WB

13 November 2005 (The Hollywood Reporter)
WB Network has given a put pilot commitment to a live-action rendering of the DC Comics character Aquaman from Smallville executive producers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough and Warner Bros. Television. The project is envisioned as a contemporary reinterpretation of the character who lives in the deep sea and enlists sharks and other oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors. Millar and Gough have deftly handled the same chores for WB and WBTV during the past five seasons of Smallville, which tells the story of Clark Kent's teenage years and his coming-of-age as Superman. The new-model Aquaman will be a man in his early twenties. As is the case on Smallville, there won't be any presto-chango into costumes or other superhero accessories when his superpowers are invoked, a WB Network spokesman said.
---

I think this is a stupid idea and it will fail. Smallville does ok and has decent ratings, but you cannot compare Superman with Aquaman and the popularity and story of both superheroes. Who the fuck cares about Aquaman? Whats the story? Where is the movie? It doesnt make any sense in my opinion.

I would rather see the series about a young Bruce Wayne (which was another project that Millar and Gough wanted to do at some point). Bruce Wayne is a more interesting character, and Gotham, and Alfred, etc. You can really develop a character, showing how the guy grew up with no parents, in school, with that constant strange feeling. Aquaman is bullshit!

MacGuffin

Aquaman Star Washes Up
Newcomer cast in WB series.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed rumors that first began circulating online over the weekend that unknown actor Will Toale has been cast in the title role of The WB Network's forthcoming series, Aquaman.

With the casting of Toale, THR says the WB has now ordered a pilot for Aquaman. The trade reminds us that the series is "a contemporary reinterpretation of the character who lives in the deep sea and enlists oceanic creatures to help him in his crime-fighting endeavors."

Smallville vets Miles Millar and Alfred Gough will serve as the series' writers and executive producers.

Toale's best known effort has been a supporting role in the Broadway revival of A Streetcar Named Desire.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

This cracks me up.  Every time I remember there's gonna be an Aquaman show, I crack up.

Aquaman... he's lamer than Captain Planet.

grand theft sparrow

They should have gone with Vincent Chase.

Ultrahip

I would see anything with Vinny Chase in it, even if it was a big piece of shit.

grand theft sparrow

I heard Queens Boulevard was great.

Kal

I still dont get the fucking decision to make this show... WHO WILL WATCH?

Smallville is doing OK, but doesnt have great ratings... never did. But thats Superman... how far is that from Aquaman?

Ultrahip

If J.C agreed to do it in an alternate T.V reality, it makes sense that someone in this reality thought it should actually be made.

pete

wow, Aquaman is like Surface meets Smallville.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

If the theme song is by Jethro Tull, I'm watchin' this!

Ultrahip

There's a BUNGLE! / In the WATER!

...someone with more inspiration than I, feel free to finish that tune.

MacGuffin

Aquaman Pilot
Miami has a brand new vice. Details straight from the producer.

Smallville writer-exec producer Al Gough has spoken to two Web sites about his next small-screen DC superhero collaboration with partner Miles Millar and The WB Network, Aquaman. In an interview with Television Without Pity, Gough confirmed that he and Millar will remain on Smallville as they work on Aquaman.

"We're going to be doing both shows. The nice thing about Smallville is it'll be in Season 6, so definitely it's a well-oiled machine. We have a terrific writing staff and great production staff in Vancouver. I don't think it'll require as much of our time. Aquaman, being a new show, will. I think we can balance both given we have a lot of good people on Smallville and some of them we'll move over to Aquaman."

When asked if Aquaman would air as a regular series in the fall, Gough replied, "The plan would be that if we don't violently (expletive) it up in the pilot by next fall."

In a separate interview with TV Guide, Gough confirmed that "we are prepping to start shooting in March in Miami." He also revealed that Aquaman, a.k.a. Arthur Curry (Will Toale), "lives in the Florida Keys, and again, it's a guy in his twenties who really doesn't know about his destiny and has these abilities. He uses them to have fun and get laid, but then in the pilot, destiny comes knocking at his door and he realizes what his true calling is, which is that he's the exiled prince of Atlantis. We liken him to Prince Hal in Henry IV, before he becomes Henry V. It's about getting his act together because his future holds bigger things than running a dive shop."

"There will be a fair amount of tank work, but we're not going to Atlantis or anything like that. Plus, you obviously also have the Bermuda Triangle down there as well, so that plays a part."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 24, 2006, 12:02:58 PM
it's a guy in his twenties who really doesn't know about his destiny and has these abilities. He uses them to have fun and get laid, but then in the pilot, destiny comes knocking at his door and he realizes what his true calling is, which is that he's the exiled prince of Atlantis.

He uses the ability to communicate with fish to get laid?
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

reverse mermaids, dude.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee