After Hours

Started by Ernie, March 13, 2003, 06:52:37 PM

Ernie

I wanna see this film so fucking bad. I definitely would have rented it by now if it had a DVD. I've been hoping to catch it on TV or something.

Are there any fans of it here? Just wondered what some of you guys thought of it. I think it sounds fucking awesome...like a really fun movie.

SoNowThen

I saw it back when I knew nothing about film, but I remember laughing a lot. I didn't love it, but I'm sure I would now. Griffin Dunne (sic??) is spot-on, and the little cameos (Cheech & Chong, et al) are cute.

Kinda reminds me of what a friend said about Punch Drunk Love: you laugh harder in the parking lot after the movie. In other words, the more you think about what you saw, you remember how certain parts were just hilarious.

Hope this helps...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

bonanzataz

what is sic? I see it all the time and never know what it means. I hate the internet lingo of lol, lmao, imo, fyi. it gets old after a while, imo, but do whatever your little fingers desire.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

actually, doesnt (sic) mean that you didnt change the text from how it was originally written and theres a spelling mistake?

i think he meant to write (sp?) for "spelling???"

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazwhat is sic? I see it all the time and never know what it means. I hate the internet lingo of lol, lmao, imo, fyi. it gets old after a while, imo, but do whatever your little fingers desire.

[sic] is not an internet term. It is used widely in the world of journalism. It basically means: "I/We know this word or phrase is wrong, but we are quoting in context."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

one of the first time i ever smoked weed, i was at this chicks house and we put on tv and Griffin Dunne  was in this movie where he was talking to his dick and his dick would talk back to him and so help me his dicks voice was larry from " Perfect strangers"

Ohh man that film fucked me up for a while , The weird part is this film really exsists

At first i thought someone slipped me some P.CP

MacGuffin

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesone of the first time i ever smoked weed, i was at this chicks house and we put on tv and Griffin Dunne  was in this movie where he was talking to his dick and his dick would talk back to him and so help me his dicks voice was larry from " Perfect strangers"

Ohh man that film fucked me up for a while , The weird part is this film really exsists

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

'Sic' officially means Submitted In-Correct. When journalists quote something that has a grammar or spelling error, they add it so that the public doesn't think they made a mistake.

Anyway, 'After Hours' is hilarious. One of Scorsese's lighter efforts, for sure, but its brilliantly madcap and inventive. A nice cinematic upper.

SoNowThen

oops, Cecil is right. I meant "sp".

oh well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

After Hours is one of Scorsese's lesser efforts, although it is still worth viewing, and should be put on DVD.  The film starts out promisingly, but grows repetitive in the second half.  Visually, it's well-done (especially considering its low budget), and Rosanna Arquette is great.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

The quick shots of the medical book in "Rules Of Attraction" are a direct rip off of the burn book in "After Hours".

Laserdiscs are a great thing...and in widescreen too.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

OOOH! I know this movie. It was on TV the other day and I caught 30 mins of it. I really liked it but had to turn it off and do some work. I didn't know it was old Marty.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

i havent seen this yet.  but since its not out on dvd, i just bought it for 2.50 on VHS at the local video store here. which, is cool, since it would cost me more to have to rent it.   BUT, i missed a copy of la dolce vita for 2.50 by just a few minutes.  regrets...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I enjoyed the movie. It seems like an effort you really have to judge on how inventive it is to get you to like it. It isn't really that inventive, but still a fun movie. A great deal of the movie didn't really rely on wit and cleverness or invention, but just a storyline following this guy through the night. The results of what he would do were always absurd and by the end of it, (spoiler) he just ended up back at his job for his next day's shift. When I saw that, I was kinda dissapointed with everything I saw before. Was the movie trying to be a satire of some sorts on society? Was it trying to make any points? With the ending, I thought it maybe could have attempted something. Oh well, the ride was still fun. A very very very minor effort.

~rougerum

modage

just watched this. it was okay, i liked it better at the beginning when it was funnier and wackier before it spiraled into some sort of hellish nightmare.  the believability even for a wacky premise went further out the window too.  i dunno, it got too dark for my tastes.  some stylish camerawork, but i'll have to stick by my preference for disliking scorseses 81-89 work.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.