Greatest Films Ever

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

modage

The American Film Institute commemorates the first century of American films, with this made-for-TV special, highlighting the greatest 100 American movies. In their latest ranking, the critics' darling, Citizen Kane, has been pushed aside in favor of a far more inspired choice...

WARNING: HUMOROUS VIDEO BELOW!

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on August 11, 2010, 06:37:05 PM

appropriately loud warning for a video that is only humorous if you think yelling is funny.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

100 movie icons.

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/2010/08/100-movie-icons/

there's a few I don't know, in that link they give away all of them.

mogwai

Quote from: P on August 11, 2010, 07:55:34 PM
Quote from: modage on August 11, 2010, 06:37:05 PM

appropriately loud warning for a video that is only humorous if you think yelling is funny.

Wtf is Julia Robers doing in a public library? Did they film her at her actual job or something?

MacGuffin

Vertigo > Citizen Kane? Sight & Sound Declares the Greatest Film of All Time
By Movieline

Here comes the cinephile debate of the day: After polling 846 film experts, BFI's Sight & Sound declared Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo to be the #1 greatest film of all time, topping Orson Welles' Citizen Kane, Yasujirō Ozu's Tokyo Story, and classics from Renoir, Murnau, Kubrick, and more of your favorite all-timers. It's a triumph long in coming for the Hitchcock pic, which only first made Sight & Sound's once-a-decade list in 1982 and has been working its way up the ranks of critical opinion since. Does the 2012 poll finally have it right?

Culled from Top Ten lists from 846 critics, academics, writers, and programmers, Sight & Sound's GOAT survey is at its widest to date. The full ten:

The Critics' Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
1. Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
2. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
3. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
4. La Règle du jeu (Renoir, 1939)
5. Sunrise: a Song for Two Humans (Murnau, 1927)
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
7. The Searchers (Ford, 1956)
8. Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
9. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1927)
10. 8 ½ (Fellini, 1963)

Somewhere out there, Kim Novak is raising her fist in victory while William Friedkin – who told Movieline Citizen Kane set the bar for cinematic greatness so high, trying to match it is what keeps him going – is probably shaking his damn head.

Meanwhile, 358 filmmakers were polled for a separate director's choice, yielding some interesting differences in opinion:

The Directors' Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
1. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) and Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) (tie)
4. 8 ½ (Fellini, 1963)
5. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1980)
6. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
7. The Godfather (Coppola, 1972) and Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958) (tie)
9. Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1974)
10. Bicycle Thieves (De Sica, 1948)

It's interesting to note the divide between critics' and filmmakers' ranking of Vertigo, which is a more populist-romantic choice in ways than Citizen Kane; perhaps unsurprisingly, the directors' list is much more auteur-heavy in its leanings. But let's open this up to discussion: Is Vertigo really the best film of all time? (Is it even the best Hitchcock of all time?)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Both of those are great lists and Vertigo is definitely Hitch's greatest achievement.

2 coppolas in the directors top ten? damn, really shows how far the dude has fallen.
under the paving stones.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2012, 06:53:11 PM
Vertigo > Citizen Kane? Sight & Sound Declares the Greatest Film of All Time
By Movieline

Here comes the cinephile debate of the day: After polling 846 film experts, BFI's Sight & Sound declared Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo to be the #1 greatest film of all time, topping Orson Welles' Citizen Kane, Yasujirō Ozu's Tokyo Story, and classics from Renoir, Murnau, Kubrick, and more of your favorite all-timers. It's a triumph long in coming for the Hitchcock pic, which only first made Sight & Sound's once-a-decade list in 1982 and has been working its way up the ranks of critical opinion since. Does the 2012 poll finally have it right?

Culled from Top Ten lists from 846 critics, academics, writers, and programmers, Sight & Sound's GOAT survey is at its widest to date. The full ten:

The Critics' Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
1. Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
2. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
3. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
4. La Règle du jeu (Renoir, 1939)
5. Sunrise: a Song for Two Humans (Murnau, 1927)
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
7. The Searchers (Ford, 1956)
8. Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
9. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1927)
10. 8 ½ (Fellini, 1963)

Somewhere out there, Kim Novak is raising her fist in victory while William Friedkin – who told Movieline Citizen Kane set the bar for cinematic greatness so high, trying to match it is what keeps him going – is probably shaking his damn head.

Meanwhile, 358 filmmakers were polled for a separate director's choice, yielding some interesting differences in opinion:

The Directors' Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
1. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968) and Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941) (tie)
4. 8 ½ (Fellini, 1963)
6. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
7. The Godfather (Coppola, 1972) and Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958) (tie)
9. Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1974)
10. Bicycle Thieves (De Sica, 1948)

It's interesting to note the divide between critics' and filmmakers' ranking of Vertigo, which is a more populist-romantic choice in ways than Citizen Kane; perhaps unsurprisingly, the directors' list is much more auteur-heavy in its leanings. But let's open this up to discussion: Is Vertigo really the best film of all time? (Is it even the best Hitchcock of all time?)

No mention of "The Last Airbender"?....  I am disappointed...
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

polkablues

For once a list that you really can't argue too hard about.  You can certainly nibble around the edges, but there's nothing fundamentally out of place.  Interesting that Rules of the Game is on the critics' but not the directors' list, and Bicycle Thieves is on the directors' but not the critics'.  Also, Man With a Movie Camera continues to be overrated, while 8 1/2 continues to be underrated.  And of all the films on these lists, The Searchers has aged the least well by far.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2012, 06:53:11 PM

I was so pissed when Ordinary People took the oscar from it that year..

Neil

Quote from: polkablues on August 05, 2012, 02:01:56 PM
And of all the films on these lists, The Searchers has aged the least well by far.

Can you just expand on this for a couple more sentences?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

It comes off as fairly hammy and mannered in a very specifically 1950's Hollywood sort of way.  There are moments in it (for example, the girls "brainwashed" by the Indians) that very much feel a product of their time and, to a modern eye, are impossible to take seriously as they were intended.  There's no question that John Ford was at the top of his game visually, and the story was much richer and more thematically complex than your typical Western of the era, but it fails the test of timelessness that a movie like 8 1/2 or even Citizen Kane achieved.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Some other people's lists

Tarantino's is the best

Everyone else is just like " Well, Citizen Kane has to go on there. I mean, it's a list "

Jeremy Blackman

The only thing that bothers me about these polls is that people are so afraid to name contemporary movies. Does the test of time really require 40-70 years?

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 06, 2012, 12:28:32 AM
The only thing that bothers me about these polls is that people are so afraid to name contemporary movies. Does the test of time really require 40-70 years?

I think the problem is that these lists, for them to have any credibility, are made by film experts and directors and other kind of professionals. Most of these people would have been active in the industry for more than 30 years. For them to praise a contemporary movie they would have to admit that someone has been doing a better job than them.

In the case of film scholars the same thing applies. Films made before they started talking shit professionally have always been historical artefacts, they had no stake in critically appraising their status. It's easier to pile on the praise received by Citizen Kane than to take the huge risk of being the first to champion the actual greatest movie of all time, Eyes Wide Shut.

No one wants to lead the charge, it would mean admitting they got it wrong the first time.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on August 06, 2012, 02:04:32 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 06, 2012, 12:28:32 AM

I think the problem is that these lists, for them to have any credibility, are made by film experts and directors and other kind of professionals. Most of these people would have been active in the industry for more than 30 years. For them to praise a contemporary movie they would have to admit that someone has been doing a better job than them.

In the case of film scholars the same thing applies. Films made before they started talking shit professionally have always been historical artefacts, they had no stake in critically appraising their status. It's easier to pile on the praise received by Citizen Kane than to take the huge risk of being the first to champion the actual greatest movie of all time, Eyes Wide Shut.

No one wants to lead the charge, it would mean admitting they got it wrong the first time.

Well said, pub.

Quote from: Pubrick on August 06, 2012, 02:04:32 AM
It's easier to pile on the praise received by Citizen Kane than to take the huge risk of being the first to champion the actual greatest movie of all time, Eyes Wide Shut.

This especially.

edit: damn you new page!