THE NOMINEES

Garden State
Napoleon Dynamite
Shaun of the Dead
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Tarnation

modage

who are you people?

*finds another board who can appreciate the horror/comedy genius of shaun of the dead.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

I can't comment too harshly about whether this is a bad thing or not, because the other debut films I was interested in I couldn't see, and I doubt many other people could, either.  But still, this was an okay film.  Not the best "anything" of the year.

Gamblour.

Yeah, fuck Garden State. My vote stands with Primer.
WWPTAD?

Kal

Vote for Pedro... you freakin IIDIOTS!!!!!!!!  :kiss:

socketlevel

this is absolute bullshit, look beyond the box people.  this movie is nothing.

tarnation blows this away.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

ono

Few were able to see Tarnation, that's the problem.  So, we're left with mediocre leftovers for winners.  Most accounts point to you being right, though, what little consolation that is.  And I will be checking Tarnation out as soon as I can.

Tarnation fun fact ... SPOILERS!
(swipe to read)
Tarnation and Tarantino are anagrams.

cine

to be different, i'm going to nag that Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow didn't win over the fanboy garden state.

Pubrick

Quote from: ono mo cuishleFew were able to see Tarnation, that's the problem.  So, we're left with mediocre leftovers for winners.
this might be news to u freaks that voted, but u didn't hav to vote for mediocre contenders just because u hadn't seen any others. sumtimes NOT voting is actually a good thing, forget that south park episode.
under the paving stones.

pete

tarnation is such a piece of shit film.  have you guys seen any experimental video diaries before?  they're all over the place and they're all pretty much the same thing, except Tarnation has subtitles.  That shit was experimental like 30 years ago.  Here's a kid who obviously has some heartaching problems, but has already decided to blame it all on his grandfather and the hype of shock-therapy, with frequent recycled images for ironic uses and good candid footages.  He was too insecure to be honest and too unoriginal too actually be experimental, all we get instead are these plot points and seemingly staged shots to tell us how we're supposed to feel.

spoiler.
that last shot with him opening his eyes to the music cue was every bit as contrived as the Garden State shit

seriously, look for Joe Gibbons' "Confession of a Sociopath" or Jon Jost's "Six Easy Pieces."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Quote from: petethat last shot with him opening his eyes to the music cue was every bit as contrived as the Garden State shit
I thought so too. The more he realizes he's making a documentary the more contrived it becomes. Like the scene in the bathroom toward the end... I really thought he was fake crying... though I'm sure he wasn't. And now that I think about it, he could have done much greater things with his footage. And really, why not just spend the $1000 on Final Cut Pro?

I still want to like the movie, though.

RegularKarate

This one might make me the saddest.

Film Student

I really liked Garden State, but this should have gone to Shaun of the Dead or Sky Captain.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

meatball

The horror... the horror...

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02*finds another board who can appreciate the horror/comedy genius of shaun of the dead.

When you find it, send me the link.