The Stanley Kubrick Archives

Started by Gold Trumpet, February 10, 2005, 05:07:09 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: FernandoDamn, that really sucks! Where did you order it?

If it wasn't through amazon you should try that, I had no problem at all with it.
i ordered it through amazon's market place, the dealer was superbookdeals (they had a faster shipping rate than amazon which says they will ship within 1-2 months that's SHIP, then i'd hav to wait another 3 weeks for it to get here). two weeks after i placed the order and supposedly while the item was already on its way, they email me to tell me they don't really hav it in the first place.  so.. i'm gonna get it from another place. to tell u the truth i'm getting kind of over it..
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

I had a good experience ordering straight from Taschen. Took about 2 weeks to arrive.
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

What is everyone's opinion of the editing of the book?

I think overall the book is put together pretty well. However, im not crazy about the first half - specifically the image choices - the sizes that were chosen (and not) are not always the best descision.

There are many frame grabs that are blown up bigger than others that are not dynamic, where other frames/shots that are much more interesting and derrivitave of the film's style/texture, are left smaller.

I think the second half is much more valuable.

sickfins

the book is very delicious.  one of my favourite picture sets is one from ews
i have taken a picture of the book with a digital camera

if you think that looks amazing, you should see the rest of this motherfucker.  it will blow you away
ps note cruise's sneakers (ha ha ha)

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

sickfins

i've seen those...
but i don't see my special pictures there

abuck1220

this thing is amazing...i'd cuddle up with it and sleep next to it like a teddy bear if it wasn't the size of a suitcase. i honestly can't believe that such a cool book exists. the pictures, the interviews, the behind the scenes shit...wow. you'll see more pictures of kubrick on the set in two pages of this book than you have in your entire life previously.

and for those wondering, i just ordered mine last week (from amazon), and i got the 70 mm film frame thing.

Pubrick

Quote from: abuck1220and for those wondering, i just ordered mine last week (from amazon), and i got the 70 mm film frame thing.
was it $126?
under the paving stones.

abuck1220

Fernando

Quote from: abuck1220and for those wondering, i just ordered mine last week (from amazon), and i got the 70 mm film frame thing.

What frame did you get?

And P, buy it, you won't regret it.

Pubrick

Quote from: FernandoAnd P, buy it, you won't regret it.
i already bought it once. and i just did again.. second time lucky  :yabbse-undecided:.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: FernandoAnd again P, buy it again, you won't regret it again :?: .

:shock:  :yabbse-wink:  :yabbse-grin:  :kiss:

cowboykurtis

I'm really happy with the frame I got - It's the image of Dr. Bowman in the Pod with a horizontal sliver of light framing his eyes.

abuck1220

Quote from: Fernando

What frame did you get?

it's the hand of one of the astronauts flipping a switch or something. it may be when he's shutting down HAL...i can't tell for sure. i'll have to look for it when i watch the movie again.

i didn't realize that the strip came from a 70 mm print owned by kubrick until i read it on the page that the strip comes in. i don't know if that means it came from one of 1,000 prints stacked in a warehouse somewhere, but that kubrick technically 'owned', or if it was one of a few prints he viewed at his home or something.

picolas

i got Poole floating away after Bowman releases him from the pod, then cut to Bowman watching.

( )