Author Topic: Xixax Awards 2005  (Read 29249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10693
  • Respect: +1171
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
0
Hopefully this clears things up. Vote away!


Closer
LEADING: Jude Law, Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts

Collateral
LEADING: Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Dogville
LEADING: Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
LEADING: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Garden State
LEADING: Zach Braff, Natalie Portman
SUPPORTING: everyone else

I Heart Huckabees
LEADING: Jason Schwartzman, Mark Wahlberg, Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Isabelle Huppert
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Kill Bill Vol. 2
LEADING: Uma Thurman
SUPPORTING: everyone else

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
LEADING: Bill Murray
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Ocean's Twelve
LEADING: Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Catherine Zeta-Jones
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Sideways
LEADING: Paul Giamatti, Thomas Hayden Church
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Catwoman
LEADING: Halle Berry, Sharon Stone
SUPPORTING: The French guy from The Matrix Reloaded.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

SHAFTR

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 2337
  • You brought two too many
  • Respect: +4
    • rmlumley.com
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2005, 12:51:55 AM »
0
I'm not a big fan of all the leading.  Most of the people I would vote for, in supporting, are listed as leading.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10693
  • Respect: +1171
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2005, 01:01:22 AM »
0
Quote from: SHAFTR
I'm not a big fan of all the leading.  Most of the people I would vote for, in supporting, are listed as leading.

It's really a misnomer, though. We don't have a "leading" category. We have "best performances" and "best supporting performances." I think we've been trying to move away from the single lead idea, because so many movies (especially those listed above) have a pair or a triangle of characters that dominate. Our "supporting" categories are meant to be small.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

SoNowThen

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 4536
  • Respect: +9
    • 24/30 Cinema
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2005, 02:53:26 PM »
0
Those categories, as far as I can tell, are perfect.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 2337
  • You brought two too many
  • Respect: +4
    • rmlumley.com
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 04:30:52 PM »
0
Is Million Dollar baby on the ballot for this year?  I know, technically it is, but the truth is very few of us will have seen it by the time initial nominations are decided.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 4199
  • ...
  • Respect: +166
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005, 05:00:03 PM »
0
Yes, which is why it's still a bit early for nominations to be taken.  A lot of the best/most anticipated films are still making their ways around.  The Oscars aren't for another month, at least.

Kal

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3271
  • Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +186
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 05:31:58 PM »
0
are we supposed to vote already?

ono

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 4199
  • ...
  • Respect: +166
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005, 05:38:07 PM »
0
No, currently nominations are due Friday (see the first page).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 5894
  • :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 05:38:40 PM »
0
When it gets down to voting, it's hard to recall the movies that came out in 2004 and not 2003, and just recap the entire year without leaving something out...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

life_boy

  • The Ultimate Boon
  • ***
  • Posts: 581
  • Christmas has always smelled like oranges to me.
  • Respect: +1
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005, 05:42:49 PM »
0
Has there ever been any thought given to adding a 'Best Ensamble Casting' or 'Outstanding Performance by a Cast' to the awards?


Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Hopefully this clears things up. Vote away!


Closer
LEADING: Jude Law, Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts

Collateral
LEADING: Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Dogville
LEADING: Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
LEADING: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Garden State
LEADING: Zach Braff, Natalie Portman
SUPPORTING: everyone else

I Heart Huckabees
LEADING: Jason Schwartzman, Mark Wahlberg, Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Isabelle Huppert
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Kill Bill Vol. 2
LEADING: Uma Thurman
SUPPORTING: everyone else

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
LEADING: Bill Murray
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Ocean's Twelve
LEADING: Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Catherine Zeta-Jones
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Sideways
LEADING: Paul Giamatti, Thomas Hayden Church
SUPPORTING: everyone else

Catwoman
LEADING: Halle Berry, Sharon Stone
SUPPORTING: The French guy from The Matrix Reloaded.


So, when in doubt...it's a leading performance.

MacGuffin

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 22985
  • Respect: +636
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2005, 06:12:53 PM »
0
Quote from: life_boy
So, when in doubt...it's a leading performance.


The admins will sort if out when we count, but...

WE WANT EVERYONE'S NOMINATIONS!!!
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol


Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 5894
  • :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2005, 09:58:28 PM »
0
I feel like I'll leave something out... is there a list of all the movies that came out in 2004 that I could look at to help refresh my memory?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10750
  • Respect: +689
    • Floating Heads
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2005, 10:21:44 PM »
0
http://movieweb.com/movies/releases/year.php?2004

thats one.  just skimming 100 other 'best of' lists and your tix stubs, dvd shelf is another way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10693
  • Respect: +1171
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2005, 10:59:09 PM »
0
Quote from: wantautopia?
Yes, which is why it's still a bit early for nominations to be taken.  A lot of the best/most anticipated films are still making their ways around.  The Oscars aren't for another month, at least.

The Xixax Awards have always directly preceded the Oscars. This year, Oscar nominations will be announced January 25 (a week from today).
"Hunger is the purest sin"

life_boy

  • The Ultimate Boon
  • ***
  • Posts: 581
  • Christmas has always smelled like oranges to me.
  • Respect: +1
Xixax Awards 2005
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2005, 11:05:27 AM »
0
Quote from: Walrus
I feel like I'll leave something out... is there a list of all the movies that came out in 2004 that I could look at to help refresh my memory?


Academy Awards Eligible Nominees Reminder List

Note that the list is only for films eligible for Academy Award nominations, not for every film released in 2004.  But, it is a helpful guide for digging up some forgotten films from earlier in the year.

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy