Thomas Edison (Short Film Available for Viewing)

Started by matt35mm, January 01, 2005, 04:15:06 PM

Pozer

I disagree, I like the rock throwing bit.  You should change up the color and speed and do three or four quick jump cuts-- wait, no just leave it.

Gamblour.

I'm not trying to deconstruct this too much, but how is the rock throwing good?
WWPTAD?

killafilm

Quote from: GamblourI'm not trying to deconstruct this too much, but how is the rock throwing good?

I'll agree with you.  I think it's the fact that he's just standing there during the dissolve.  It's ackward.  If it cut/dissolved straight to him throwing the rock, actually in swing, I think it would work better.

matt35mm

Quote from: mdI have some technical questions for you: are you using the century optic 16x9 adaptor...those stills look like there 2:35:1....are you putting a larger matte over it in post?  What was this shot with, vx or gl?  

Were you using automatic focus...the stills, although composed very well have the hard electronic look...when shooting dv I generally try to zoom in as much as possible and use manual focus...it takes that hard edge away, and allows a much shallower depth of field

I can imagine you are probably eat, sleeping and pissing this film....i commend you....this film will have some heart and guts to it....our critisicm is just that, dont take it personal...take a day off if you need to sober up from that moviemaking high...sometimes it can make you go crazy! good luck md
16X9 adapter + in camera electronic 16X9 and then very slight cropping in post to make it 2.35:1.  Those stills are close to 2.35:1, but the final film will be, yes.

I don't mind the large depth of field, and with the anamorphic lens, you can't zoom in very far without it blurring.  The focus was a blend of automatic and manual.  I've personally chosen to embrace the medium I'm using, though, so I have little desire to lessen the depth of field.

I'm actually taking a relaxed approach to the editing, and it probably is making it better by giving me some perspective.  So the film will be better edited than the trailer.  With college and everything, I'm just taking my time, editing a little bit each day.

I'm not going to re-edit this trailer.  I'm considering having someone else (more proficient with trailers) edit another trailer after I finish editing the film.  I've learned a lot by cutting this trailer, though.  Namely that I'm not a trailer cutter.

Quote from: GamblourAnd man, I'm sorry, I'm trying to be constructive... the part where the guy throws the rock...it's hilarious, which isn't good for this trailer. It's just weird, who actually throws a rock in anger? and if they do they'd try to do more damage than crushing dead grass. I think it ends pretty well...if you took out the sound of the guy crying at the end, it could have a little more power, i think.
You and my roommate are the only two people who've said that to me.  Hmm.  I've never found it to be funny.  MAYBE it's less funny in the movie?  It works for me, though.  I like awkward moments sometimes, and they fit certain situations more than constant seriousness.  It's all about feel, and it feels better than him trying to do more damage, or not doing anything at all.  He's a kid with a lot of nervous energy... so what's he gonna do...?  He throws a rock, and feels stupid afterwards.

Reinhold

...............................................:yabbse-thumbup:

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

kotte

There is something wrong if you need to sell a short film with a trailer.

Why focus so much on a trailer...

Ghostboy

I don't think he's trying to sell the short film with a trailer...he's just trying to give us a taste of the film, which is something some of us (including myself) requested.

Marketing wise, trailers for short films are somewhat pointless (just like opening credit sequences in short films) - but if you have people waiting to see the film, a trailer is a handy way to show off what you've done before you finish post production.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyI don't think he's trying to sell the short film with a trailer...he's just trying to give us a taste of the film, which is something some of us (including myself) requested.

Marketing wise, trailers for short films are somewhat pointless (just like opening credit sequences in short films) - but if you have people waiting to see the film, a trailer is a handy way to show off what you've done before you finish post production.

You're right.
I appreciate sneek-peeks too but it seems useless to spend this much time discussing the cutting and pacing of a short film trailer.

But you know, now it sounds like I'm completely against it. I'm not...it's been an interesting discussion but now I wanna see the film.

matt35mm

I've already said that the trailer won't be re-edited, so yes, take all this discussion as just an interesting look-see into what works and doesn't for a trailer.  But my focus has been the film, and I've only spent a few days cutting the trailer and that's it.  The rest has been just a learning process.

But yes, I am using it to sell the movie.  I'm not beating around that bush.  I want to generate interest, and the trailer at least does that, regardless of the awkward bits of bad cutting I did to it.

Pozer

Alright, it's been a month since your last post on this.  What's the latest with the film, Matty?  
SOrry, but you've generated our interest.

matt35mm

ALMOST DONE!

Just color correcting/magic bulletting at this point.  Should be finished up this weekend.

JG

man i love the first shot in that trailer...very rashomon.  can't wait till your done.

matt35mm

Well.  I'm done.  And Xixax was specially thanked.

Just one or two teeny changes later to smooth out some things that few people would notice, but it's pretty much done.

Stay tuned as I determine how you can get your very own copy of Thomas Edison.  I also dunno if I should put a couple of clips up here or something... we'll see.  Maybe clips of a short film is too much.

JG

Can't you just show us the whole thing?   Clips would be good at the very least.   

kotte

If you wanna post the whole short or parts of it is up to you...as long as you don't make a DVD. I just hate it when filmmakers put one short on a dvd and then try to sell it (!).