2005 Golden Globes

Started by MacGuffin, November 09, 2004, 05:06:00 PM

MacGuffin

Moore, Gibson Films Ineligible for Hollywood Prize

They may have triggered controversy and packed theaters, but two of the year's hottest films -- "The Passion of the Christ" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" -- have been ruled ineligible for one of Hollywood's top prizes.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which on Jan. 16 hands out the Golden Globes, an important precursor to the Oscars , said on Tuesday its rules bar "Passion" from consideration for the group's best drama category and "Fahrenheit" from being eligible for any award, including best drama.

The group said "Fahrenheit," Michael Moore's searing denunciation of President Bush and the Iraq war, was ineligible because it is a documentary and the Foreign Press Association does not give awards to documentaries.

"Passion," Mel Gibson's movie about the death of Jesus filmed in Aramaic and Latin, did not qualify for the best drama award because that category is limited to English-language films.

But "Passion" could be eligible for best foreign language film -- even though no country speaks Latin and Aramaic -- and its actors, screenwriter and director would be eligible for awards in their categories.

Lawrie Masterson, the chairman of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's board of directors, said in an interview the group's rules limited its actions.

"As you know 'The Passion of the Christ' is not in English and under our rules it qualifies as a foreign language film even though it was produced and directed by an American .... We also do not have a documentary category so we could not consider 'Fahrenheit.' It is a shame but we cannot change the rules in the middle of a race," he said.

With the race for February's Oscars still wide open, many in Hollywood wonder if the films by Gibson and Moore could compete for top prizes despite the controversy they have engendered.

Gibson's film sparked a storm before it even opened as some Jewish leaders claimed it was anti-Semitic because it suggested that Jews were collectively responsible for the death of Christ.

Gibson denied that this was the case, and said after accepting an award from a Catholic journalists' group on Sunday: "Sometimes when you just want to tell the truth you're going to get walloped around a lot. In many respects, the aftermath was more furious than making the film."

Moore's movie, denounced by Republicans as political propaganda that distorted Bush's record, won the top prize in May at the Cannes film festival and has been submitted for consideration for the best-picture Oscar.

While the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's membership is small -- just over 90 members -- many in the film industry say its Golden Globe Awards can often foreshadow the Oscars in February.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

2005 GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS NOMINATIONS

BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

THE AVIATOR

CLOSER

FINDING NEVERLAND

HOTEL RWANDA

KINSEY

MILLION DOLLAR BABY

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

SCARLETT JOHANSSON - A LOVE SONG FOR BOBBY LONG

NICOLE KIDMAN - BIRTH

IMELDA STAUNTON - VERA DRAKE

HILARY SWANK - MILLION DOLLAR BABY

UMA THURMAN - KILL BILL VOL. 2

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA

JAVIER BARDEM - THE SEA INSIDE

DON CHEADLE - HOTEL RWANDA

JOHNNY DEPP - FINDING NEVERLAND

LEONARDO DICAPRIO - THE AVIATOR

LIAM NEESON - KINSEY

BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

THE INCREDIBLES

Andrew Lloyd Webber's THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

RAY

SIDEWAYS

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

ANNETTE BENING - BEING JULIA

ASHLEY JUDD - DE-LOVELY

EMMY ROSSUM - Andrew Lloyd Webber’s THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

KATE WINSLET - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

RENEE ZELLWEGER - BRIDGET JONES: THE EDGE OF REASON

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE -MUSICAL OR COMEDY

JIM CARREY - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

JAMIE FOXX - RAY

PAUL GIAMATTI - SIDEWAYS

KEVIN KLINE - DE-LOVELY

KEVIN SPACEY - BEYOND THE SEA

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

THE CHORUS (LES CHORISTES) (FRANCE)

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS (CHINA)

THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (BRAZIL)

THE SEA INSIDE (SPAIN)

A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT (FRANCE)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE

CATE BLANCHETT - THE AVIATOR

LAURA LINNEY - KINSEY

VIRGINIA MADSEN - SIDEWAYS

NATALIE PORTMAN - CLOSER

MERYL STREEP - THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE

DAVID CARRADINE - KILL BILL VOL. 2

THOMAS HADEN CHURCH - SIDEWAYS

JAMIE FOXX - COLLATERAL

MORGAN FREEMAN - MILLION DOLLAR BABY

CLIVE OWEN - CLOSER

BEST DIRECTOR - MOTION PICTURE

CLINT EASTWOOD - MILLION DOLLAR BABY

MARC FORSTER - FINDING NEVERLAND

MIKE NICHOLS - CLOSER

ALEXANDER PAYNE - SIDEWAYS

MARTIN SCORSESE - THE AVIATOR

BEST SCREENPLAY - MOTION PICTURE

CHARLIE KAUFMAN - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

JOHN LOGAN - THE AVIATOR

DAVID MAGEE - FINDING NEVERLAND

PATRICK MARBER - CLOSER

ALEXANDER PAYNE & JIM TAYLOR - SIDEWAYS

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE - MOTION PICTURE

CLINT EASTWOOD - MILLION DOLLAR BABY

JAN A.P. KACZMAREK - FINDING NEVERLAND

ROLFE KENT - SIDEWAYS

HOWARD SHORE - THE AVIATOR

HANS ZIMMER - SPANGLISH

BEST ORIGINAL SONG - MOTION PICTURE

“ACCIDENTALLY IN LOVE” –- SHREK 2
Music & Lyrics by: Adam Duritz, Dan Vickery, David Immergluck, Matthew Malley & David Bryson

“BELIEVE” — THE POLAR EXPRESS
Music & Lyrics by: Glen Ballard & Alan Silvestri

“LEARN TO BE LONELY” — Andrew Lloyd Webber’s THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Music by: Andrew Lloyd Webber
Lyrics by: Charles Hart

“MILLION VOICES” — HOTEL RWANDA
Music by: Wyclef Jean, Jerry “Wonder” Duplessis, Andrea Guerra
Lyrics by: Wyclef Jean

“OLD HABITS DIE HARD” — ALFIE
Music & Lyrics by: Mick Jagger & David A. Stewart

BEST TELEVISION SERIES - DRAMA

24 (FOX)

DEADWOOD (HBO)

LOST (ABC)

NIP/TUCK (FX)

THE SOPRANOS (HBO)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES - DRAMA

EDIE FALCO - THE SOPRANOS

JENNIFER GARNER - ALIAS

MARISKA HARGITAY - LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT

CHRISTINE LAHTI - JACK & BOBBY

JOELY RICHARDSON - NIP/TUCK

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES - DRAMA

MICHAEL CHIKLIS - THE SHIELD

DENIS LEARY - RESCUE ME

JULIAN MCMAHON - NIP/TUCK

IAN MCSHANE - DEADWOOD

JAMES SPADER - BOSTON LEGAL

BEST TELEVISION SERIES - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (FOX)

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (ABC)

ENTOURAGE (HBO)

SEX AND THE CITY (HBO)

WILL & GRACE (NBC)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

MARCIA CROSS - DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

TERI HATCHER - DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

FELICITY HUFFMAN - DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

DEBRA MESSING - WILL & GRACE

SARAH JESSICA PARKER - SEX AND THE CITY

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

JASON BATEMAN - ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

ZACH BRAFF - SCRUBS

LARRY DAVID - CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

MATT LEBLANC - JOEY

TONY SHALHOUB - MONK

CHARLIE SHEEN - TWO AND A HALF MEN

BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

AMERICAN FAMILY – JOURNEY OF DREAMS (PBS)

IRON JAWED ANGELS (HBO)

THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS (HBO)

THE LION IN WINTER (SHOWTIME)

SOMETHING THE LORD MADE (HBO)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

GLENN CLOSE - THE LION IN WINTER

BLYTHE DANNER - BACK WHEN WE WERE GROWN UPS

JULIANNA MARGULIES - THE GRID

MIRANDA RICHARDSON - THE LOST PRINCE

HILARY SWANK - IRON JAWED ANGELS

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

MOS DEF - SOMETHING THE LORD MADE

JAMIE FOXX - REDEMPTION

WILLIAM H. MACY - THE WOOL CAP

GEOFFREY RUSH - THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS

PATRICK STEWART - THE LION IN WINTER

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

DREA DE MATTEO - THE SOPRANOS

ANJELICA HUSTON - IRON JAWED ANGELS

NICOLLETTE SHERIDAN - DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

CHARLIZE THERON - THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS

EMILY WATSON - THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

SEAN HAYES - WILL & GRACE

MICHAEL IMPERIOLI - THE SOPRANOS

JEREMY PIVEN - ENTOURAGE

OLIVER PLATT - HUFF

WILLIAM SHATNER - BOSTON LEGAL
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Isn't it interesting that the movies nominated for best comedy or musical aren't really comedies (except for maybe The Incredibles, which had its fair share of drama).  Ray?  Just because of some concert scenes?  And so forth.

ono

It just reinforces my belief that trying to organize movies by genre is a terrible idea.

A minor annoyance of mine is going into a store that sells DVDs and having to dig through the genres ascribed by that particular store to find the DVD I'm looking for.  With places like Best Buy and Circuit City, I'd understand, but you'd think Borders would know better.  If it were me I'd just arrange all DVDs alphabetically.  Maybe some cross references for Criterions, documentaries, and more other valid subsection than the ubiquitous "Drama" and "Comedy" (and heaven forbid "Sci-Fi," "Thriller," "Mystery," and "Western").

The up-side for organizing things in this way is that more movies may be nominated.  Still, that they think Sideways is a comedy and Ray is a musical shows their ignorance.  Sideways and Eternal Sunshine are dramas that happen to be funny.  Ray is a drama that just happens to have music in it.

analogzombie

Typical, safe, broing nominations. It's great to see Eternal Sunshine get some love, but I doubt it will win anything but best screenplay,a nd that's more of a nod to Kaufman than the film. If Carridine doens't win for supporting actor there is no god. If Sideways wins it all, i'' mutilate the first overweight wine drinking wuss bag I find.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

cine

Quote from: wantautopia?The up-side for organizing things in this way is that more movies may be nominated.  Still, that they think Sideways is a comedy and Ray is a musical shows their ignorance.  Sideways and Eternal Sunshine are dramas that happen to be funny.  Ray is a drama that just happens to have music in it.
If they're going to throw those in the comedy category, I'm not complaining. Especially when I see article headings like "'Sideways' leads Golden Globe nominations" If this helps create more buzz for the Oscars, then I'll be a happy man.

Ghostboy

I'm just happy to see Eternal Sunshine and Million Dollar Baby getting those nods. Before Sunset is absent, but oh well. Oh, and Kill Bill getting acting noms is pretty cool.

Stefen

Fuck the Golden Globes. I hate these asshole awards shows. All it is is an event so the gossip mongers at E! can still have a job. The golden globes aernt about movies, they are about recognition. Whos on the red carpet? Who looks pregnant? Who shows up with who? Whos wearing what? It sickens me that our world has such a fascination with that bullshit.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

oakmanc234

Happy to see Vol. 2 and Eternal Sunchine get some love. Collateral deserved a picture nom, goddammit. Shocked that the excellent Spanglish wasn't eating up all the noms (one measly nom wtf?!). Zellweger for Bridget Jones 2?! Which was maybe the most irritating performance of the year?! Tom Cruise & Adam Sandler deserved nods. I gotta say though, looking at the noms it makes me think what a pretty lousy year its been for movies, some goodies but overall.....eh.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

cine

Quote from: oakmanc234looking at the noms it makes me think what a pretty lousy year its been for movies, some goodies but overall.....eh.
Looks like you should've went out and seen more movies...

Pozer

Eternal Sunshine..happy but com-e-dy? I'm Ron Burgandy?

Jeremy Blackman

No Dogville? No Huckabees? No Tarnation?

SIGH.

ono

It's the Golden Globes, JB.  Not the Independent Spirit Awards.

Jeremy Blackman

Okay, but what about Huckabees? You even have Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin in there.

ono

I'm with you and all, but I really don't think Huckabees is the kind of movie that the Golden Globes is going to appreciate.  Missed them by a mile.  That's what happens a lot of the time - good performances get overlooked in movies because they movies didn't mesh with certain people.