Spaced

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 25, 2004, 05:45:05 PM

MacGuffin

Watch This: A Peek at the Doomed 'Spaced' Remake
Source: Cinematical

In 2008, there was an underground roar bubbling over the news that Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes, and Edgar Wright's Spaced was getting a U.S. remake produced by McG. As Pegg explained in an official statement, he wasn't against the idea of American remakes, but he wasn't happy with how this one was coming about. In the push to get the show made, they'd all signed away future rights, and Warner Bros. went ahead without so much as a consultation. However, although they didn't contact the trio behind the scenes, Wright's and Pegg's names were used to promo the remake, while completely disregarding the essential contribution by Hynes. Classy, eh?

Ultimately, the series was quashed only a few months later -- a true blessing -- but not before a pilot was made. Thanks to the wonder of the Internet, Pegg found a clip from it and tweeted the YouTube link today. The Americanized version starred Josh Lawson and Sara Rue as the faux married couple, with Federico Dordei playing the creepy artist neighbor, and Will Sasso in Nick Frost's fighting-obsessed role. The best comparison I can make is that the U.S. Spaced is the real-life embodiment of what Michael did to Lelaina's documentary in Reality Bites. You know -- the swirling heads on pizza, drama for marketing, and other atrocities.

Just goes to show you -- the implementation is just as important as the idea.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Wow.  That's almost as bad as the American remake of Peep Show starring Johnny Galecki and Josh Meyers would have been.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Profound sadness radiated through my body while watching that.

It's so weird to watch them do the exact same jokes, but with about half the commitment and none of the enthusiasm.  Also, they lost the wonderfully clever and fun camera work.  And they picked the most generic looking person I've ever seen to play the Pegg role.  Oh whatever, at least it wasn't picked up.