movies assholes dig

Started by pete, October 24, 2004, 11:23:11 AM

pete

they can be good movies, and they can be liked by good people, but just somehow you have noticed a trend of assholes liking them.  

BE A SNOB AND LIST

the rock - that's like every meathead's favorite movie
shawshank redemption - it's like the da vinci code of favorite movies
big fat greek wedding

lets see how long this one lasts
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Reservoir Dogs
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
American Beauty
A Clockwork Orange
American Pie
Fight Club

cowboykurtis

boondock saints -- end of story -- they think its wicked
...your excuses are your own...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Although I like most of the movies on this list, it seems that everyone's a "movie buff" if they've seen...

Trainspotting - "So trippy, man!"
Requiem For A Dream - "It's so underground."
Fight Club - "The fights in that movie are so cool."
Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill or Reservoir Dogs - "He's the best director of the 90's!"
Donnie Darko - "It's so Indy."
Matrix series - "Messes with your head, man!"

And then the obvious...

Fast and the Furious, 2Fast 2Furious, You Got Served, Torque, Wrong Turn, things of that nature...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

rustinglass

"taking lives" was very popular with the portuguese assholes
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

When I saw the Donnie Darko screening, there were two asshole jocks sitting next to me. They obviously were fans of the movie, since they were able to quote the dialogue along with the characters -- which they did only on lines like 'go suck a fuck' and any pejorative directed towards Cherita. But after a while they just got sort of quiet. And then at the end, one of them started singing along really softly to the Mad World. It was odd and made me think that they probably were sensitive guys on the inside, far beneath their overwhelming jock facade.

magnolia.
waking life.
mulholland drive.
context, context, context.

Weak2ndAct

Ah, too many hours at a video store certainly showed me this:
- Snatch (I can't count the number of times this movie was stolen as well)
- Office Space
- Bowling for Columbine
- Rushmore
- Bourne Identity

Ghostboy

So basically, assholes like a lot of the same movies we like, plus the Boondock Saints.

Jeremy Blackman

ono

Assholes just like a lot of movies for the wrong reasons.  Fight Club, American Beauty, and A Clockwork Orange, to name three.  I wouldn't be surprised if some girl (or guy) claims to like The Brown Bunny because "that chick from KIDS sucks him off and you can totally see it!"

A lot of movies on these lists are suspect, though.  What the hell's wrong with Waking Life?  And how could you like that for the wrong reason, or like that and be an asshole?

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

How can I forget all things gangster related?

- The Godfather
- Scarface
- American Me (gotta live in a Mexican area to see this)
- The Sopranos (yeah, it's TV, but it still applies)

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Why do I dislike this thread?