Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

JG

this.  show.  is.  so.  awesome. 

Ravi

I don't know what to make of the season premiere.  Unlike most other episodes, this one had nothing recognizable to grab onto.  We're thrown into a completely foreign situation with no idea of what's going on.  And I thought the hatch was weird...

Kal

Wow... where the hell is everyone?

It's very late, just finished watching tonights episode and I was expecting already something here about it...

Anyways, I didn't like the episode that much. It was one of those episodes where nothing really happens... but they are leading to.... whatever the fuck huge thing will happen next. The only big thing was Sawyer-Kate, but it was too short to make an impact.

Jack-Ben and the redsox was stupid... it suddenly seemed like a different show... but I love this shit so I'm hoping this episode was necessary so that we can get to the next one... thats all I can say... and Sayid is smart enough to detect the footsteps on the dock but he doesnt think they may come from a differet direction...

Where is Desmond, Locke and Hurley!!!!!

polkablues

Quote from: kal on October 12, 2006, 02:04:04 AM
Jack-Ben and the redsox was stupid... it suddenly seemed like a different show...

I loved that part.  Somehow, suddenly tying it in to "the real world" had a very unsettling effect.  Like we, as an audience, can't afford to dismiss it as fantasy, because they know about real stuff that's happened!!!  It was a nice moment of levity, for sure, but oddly uncomfiting at the same time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

grand theft sparrow

And that's why we all should have realized before the season 2 finale that nothing happened to the outside world.  Because it's set in our world.

SPOILERS

At first I was really pissed off that Sun wound up fucking the bald dude when she had convinced Jin (and the rest of us) that she hadn't been with another man, but that was justified pretty well by the opening flashback; she can lie through her teeth and not give a fuck.  So I was satisfied.  Not happy but satisfied.

And let's talk about the fact that Ben/Henry has been living on the island all his life?!!!

diggler

yea i like the fact that they've kept what's been happening in real time, which rules out the whole apocalyptic storyline.  sayid was a retard for thinking they wouldn't come from the water. nathan did it in the first season. 

anyone else think they bald guy's "suicide" was fishy?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Chest Rockwell

OK, I liked this episode. The Red Sox moment was actually quite sweet for just the reason polka said. It's much more unsettling for some reason to see that all this stuff is happening in conjuction with all the events of the rest of the world still going on. No longer can we expect to see this show as an insular (pun) piece of fiction, even though they tried to prevent that through the flashbacks, but I think that moment really hit home the fact that they aren't simply isolated in this little pocket world.

Kate-Sawyer didn't piss me off as much as I thought it would, mostly because it was difficult to ascertain her emotions in the whole thing. That one lady that held the gun to Kate is clearly not as sweet and naive as the first episode might have suggested. In both episodes there've been hints that she's just as unsympathetic and manipulative as ny of the other Others...but I wonder how her part will play out.

I think Sun is suddenly a much more interesting character. Her fear of her father seems to have affected her pretty deeply, what with her lying and/or hiding the truth to escape blame.

Ben is cool. I'm sure he'll be one of the highlights of the season. Living on the island his whole life....hmm...

Desmond Locke and Hurley will be next episode, kal. At least, Locke, Eko, and Hurly will be next episode, going by the preview.

Pozer

best line of the show, "you never made me soup."  Which tells us benny's been in Jack's place? 

episode was pretty darn great the more I ponder on it.  sun's first flashback showing how she was easily capable of lying to her father as a child.  at first, it left you feeling, "I don't care about this, I don't wanna see her flashback, what the hell is going on with des/locke/ecks?!"  then of course how easy it was to lie to her husband and progress those lies.  and did she really get pregnant on the island or is it baldy's baby?  and the action with jin beating baldy but not killing him then his body landing on his car - i didn't think sucide, i thought father having concerns of jin not getting the job done, someone else took care of it.  and then the whole ben telling jack what happened in the last sixty days thing - laughing at the remarks of the sox winning the series then seeing it happen bit.  i thought that was really good.

i initially thought it was an okay 'build up to' episode, but the more I think about it, it may have been better than the opener.  longer and less commercial breaks that's for sure.  aaah, the magic of this show...   

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on October 12, 2006, 12:07:37 PM
anyone else think they bald guy's "suicide" was fishy?

Actually, my first thought was, "Damn, Sun's dad sent a guy after Jin to make sure the job was done."  Because it just seemed too soon for him to jump.  He's an Ivy League educated guy, he can't think this through? 

But sometimes a bald Korean falling out of a window is just a bald Korean falling out of a window.

polkablues

Quote from: pozer on October 12, 2006, 01:21:14 PM
best line of the show, "you never made me soup."  Which tells us benny's been in Jack's place? 

Nah, he was just flirting with her.
My house, my rules, my coffee

A Matter Of Chance

I think you have to be somewhat masochistic to enjoy this show (which I do). Every week I go back for a beating.

Kal

Quote from: polkablues on October 12, 2006, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: pozer on October 12, 2006, 01:21:14 PM

Nah, he was just flirting with her.

I think they were together before and something happened... that is why Ben is "out of the book club" and that is als why when the other woman (the one that got shot by Sun) goes downstairs and sees them talking... Juliet acts like what the fuck you care...

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on October 12, 2006, 02:46:37 AM
Quote from: kal on October 12, 2006, 02:04:04 AM
Jack-Ben and the redsox was stupid... it suddenly seemed like a different show...

I loved that part.  Somehow, suddenly tying it in to "the real world" had a very unsettling effect.  Like we, as an audience, can't afford to dismiss it as fantasy, because they know about real stuff that's happened!!!  It was a nice moment of levity, for sure, but oddly uncomfiting at the same time.

What I thought after that scene played out was, Are they planning to do to Jack what they did to Michael and have him turn against his friends?  :ponder:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i also thought of kals interpretation.  and like mac am wondering WHAT THE FUCK are they doing to the 3 of them.  like some sort of human psychology experiment?  and also, do you think the others WANTED kate and sawyer to hook up?  methinks: maybe.  but i cannot figure out how the others got onto the boat without being seen by sayid and jin.  they couldnt have come from the woods or walked up the beach and if they sailed up in another boat they wouldve seen that too.  the only other way is to swim, but nobody was soaking wet.  i'm so glad sun shot the deadwood chick, because never let anyone tell you that you wont shoot them.  because that just makes me want to shoot them more.  i HATE elizabeth mitchells character of michelle rodriguezian proportions.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on October 12, 2006, 03:58:52 PMand like mac am wondering WHAT THE FUCK are they doing to the 3 of them.  like some sort of human psychology experiment?  and also, do you think the others WANTED kate and sawyer to hook up?  methinks: maybe.

I think so. Then they tell Jack something like, "See, Kate made her choice. There's nothing for you here. We'll send you back to your wife and home if you do this for us." They already hinted to this last night. Ben says, "If you cooperate, we'll send you home." Jack later says, "Home? Is that where you sent Walt and Michael?" Ben, "Yes."

Also, Danielle's daughter asked about the guy opposite Sawyer's cage from last week's episode (Carl), and said that Kate's dress was hers. Maybe the Others did this experiment with the two of them previously?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks