Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

SiliasRuby

I was a completely emotional wreck at the end...Man, that was satisfying...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

jtm

i'm happy with how it turned out.  :yabbse-smiley:

i can officially say it was a great series.

but i'm sad the rides over.  :(

modage

Quote from: polkablues on May 24, 2010, 01:42:03 AM
Ditto. I don't know if it all holds together intellectually, but that's a question for tomorrow and the day after. It was as emotionally satisfying a finale as we could have possibly hoped for. For now, I'll just say it was perfect.

This is exactly it.  I'd like to watch the series from the beginning and see how well you can follow all the characters arcs/motivations as well as how many mysteries are tied up and how many left as loose ends.  But the finale was SO satisfying emotionally it managed to shift the focus away from all the nagging mysteries and back onto the characters.  A brilliant act of misdirection.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Myxo on May 24, 2010, 01:55:14 AM
Since this thread has a (SPOILERS) tag on it, I'll open up.

I'd never seen a single episode of the series but watched the final tonight. I figured hey, I'll just see what I can follow. A co-worker of mine spent the better part of an hour this past Friday explaining things to me. I remembered telling her "what if they're all just dead and none of what your'e watching is really real? What if their experiences are just some sort of purgatory? Like a process of letting go?" She seemed mad at me for that notion. But from everything she had told me, I sensed enough religious allegory to make some good guesses. She was mad at me because everyone being dead all along seemed like the "easy route" to her. For a series with so many loose endings she just felt like that would be too easy an ending. I can't comment myself yet.

Seems like a good series. Even though I've seen how it ends, I'd like to watch the whole thing now.

..oh and the music for the finale was absolutely spot on great. It made the show engaging for me, even when I was confused. Was like a road map telling me how I should feel. An interesting way to watch a TV show.

I don't think they were in Purgatory. They were definitely alive on the island and the island is definitely a real place; if they died it was when the show killed them off. It looks like Sawyer and Kate and the others might actually go on to have long lives after the island. I'm choosing to believe (foolhardy, maybe) that the sideways life isn't death either. 

I totally cried my eyes out last night, too. I'm fine with the fact that the show did misdirect from the island to the characters, so we don't know why a lot of things had happened but it doesn't even really matter, anymore. So sad the show's ending. I's been so long since I haven't had LOST to look forward to  :yabbse-sad:. Let's see if I can concentrate at work today!

cinemanarchist

I will say that while it wasn't perfect, it was immensely moving and cemented its rightful place as one of the best tv shows every created. It's one of those sad/happy endings like Six Feet Under, that I just want to watch a few more times and let the tears flow. 
My assholeness knows no bounds.

diggler

I wasn't sure how to feel about it at first, but after a second viewing i absolutely loved it, warts and all. I've never seen a room full of people so reduced to emotional rubble, only to spring up and yell "bullshit!' when it was all over. Perhaps these people have some things to work out...

Favorite moment? Ben apologizing to Locke, and the realization that even though he had lived a long happy life with Hurley, he died a man still having a lot to atone for. A perfect coda for one of televisions most complex characters.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

abuck1220

i've wondered for years how this show can appeal to smart people and dumb people. i've known people who love both lost and the wire and who love both lost and two and a half men. it looks like the finale has finally divided those two groups. i've found that most people whose opinions i respect liked the finale, and people who i thought were stupid didn't like it.

Derek

It was emotionally satisfying, but I can't shake the feeling that we got Bobby in the shower for half of the season.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

RegularKarate

Lost was the best Network television drama.

You just have to keep in mind the limitations with being a prime-time show on ABC or any network run by old men and idiots who don't even like television.  Lost did the best they could with that in mind.

The series was so compelling that pretty-much any end is going to be hugely disappointing to a lot of people.  If you end the series how people want it to end, you get called out for being predictable and pandering, but if you don't pander at least a little, you're going to get it from the other side.

I agree with a lot of what this review says except that the reviewer was over-reacting and not dealing with the fact that things didn't go "how he wanted".  It was a snap reaction to not getting his way.

I had some issues with this finale... I wanted a bigger final fight.  I wanted it to be more difficult to kill Smokey.  I wanted Jack to reveal some kind of power that we never knew Jacob had, giving more weight to "Now you're like me", but mostly I wanted more reason to care who gets off the island (other than Claire, who we've been forced to lose interest in getting back to Aaron).

I'm not going to be angry about it, though.  I'm still sitting on how I feel about the last 15 minutes and how I interpret it, but I'm accepting it.  That's what happened. 
Now I can go back and watch, knowing what I know and put things together.  That should be fun.

Cuse and Lindelof were initially each given a different half of the information about how the series ends and had to keep each other in check without revealing to the other what they knew.

I don't know which is which, but clearly they're Jacob and MIB and we're the Losties.  They were thrown into this position without really knowing why or where exactly it would end.  They make up the rules even though some of the rules don't make much sense.  They've been sending us through different tests and mazes, some worth it, some not.  Some of us lost faith and quit early, some of us stuck around until the end only to feel betrayed, and some of us were saved.  What's undeniable though is that it was something special and different... it was a unique experience and I'm glad to have had it.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on May 24, 2010, 12:02:20 PM
Cuse and Lindelof were initially each given a different half of the information about how the series ends and had to keep each other in check without revealing to the other what they knew.

From who? JJ?  Where did you hear/read this?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on May 24, 2010, 12:48:54 PM
From who? JJ?  Where did you hear/read this?

I don't know that it was JJ, but maybe.
They talked about it a lot on the lost podcast around season 2 or 3.  To be honest, it could have been a joke/wink considering the direction the show went, but it made sense at the time.

modage

I think it was a joke.  Anyway, can you guys believed I loved it too?  I think the finale will separate the cynical viewers from the fans rest.

Derek

Oh man, I dislike comments like that. It draws a line in the sand where if you have criticisms, you're not a fan.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

modage

I don't think that's true at all.  I've had criticisms most of the season (and going back several seasons).  I just believe the finale brought things together successfully.  When it ended I thought EMOTIONALLY it worked for me, but I could imagine the reaction being that it was too sentimental and not enough "mysteries were solved".

Derek

Well it was emotional, which was good...but that was probably the easiest payoff for the creators to have resolved regarding all aspects of the show. They say it is a character piece at the core, and that the island is merely a catalyst for their arcs/redemption. Which is fine to a point. The only problem I have is that they have spent a lot of time/energy teasing about the mythological and sci-fi aspects of the show only to have it boil down to a broad good vs. evil, Jack. vs. MIB fistfight in the end. I do agree with the IO9's statement that it has been like watching a sporting event where you are not familiar with the rules.