Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

JG

i too have been on the bandwagon all season and have held out hope that this was finishing  strong -- and for a few weeks it seemed like it was -- but that was awful! It was LOST's old testament and it sucked. i felt like i was in ccd class. it obviously didn't have a fighting chance with the costumes (i've long thought they had bad costumes, but here..) and with the terrible CGI.. but why even shoot it that way? if you insist there needs to be "the light", then shoot around it. And its true, it didn't answer any questions, it only added vague mythic status to the same questions. Everything about this was so vague, not ambiguous, which is the way LOST should and use to be. it might've been my least favorite episode, if only because the stakes were so high. about halfway through my friends and i started imagining tim heidecker as jacob and eric wareheim as smokie and the lines actually started to work.

^^ i once said that LOST was my star wars and i certainly sound like an angry fan boy. ha!

my only hope is that it doesn't sour the final few hours because those could still be satisfying as long as they don't start talking air again.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

diggler

so they're just not going to address the outrigger shootout at all? that's pretty stupid. i thought that was one of the cooler teases they've done on the show, apparently it was never meant to be anything special.

DL and CC are having a tough week i bet. that interview was pretty harsh. every answer starts with "we're telling the story we want to tell.... etc."
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

OrHowILearnedTo

i agree with pretty much everything mod said.

what pisses me off is that Jacob and MiB acted like completely different characters in other episodes. Are we supposed to believe all those other instances are supposed to take place during this timeline? Or were they after MiB became the smoke monster? If that's the case why does MiB have the same body if his is the one found in the caves? Wouldn't he need a new body (ie. the reason he's using Locke's)?

I think i would've preferred it if Jacob and MiB were more supernatural. I guess they sort of are, but clearly they are human right? And if they aren't i didn't understand what made them different. I don't really get why they're not allowed to die, or why Allison Janney got all weird when MiB was born. Did she sense some evil? but then she appears to think he's chosen for greatness or something.

man, just a bad episode, made even more frustrating since there's only 2 left.

Pubrick

this is gearing up to be one of the most epic shark jumping endings of any show in the history of tv.

i didn't bother catching up in time cos i just don't care anymore, i'll see it at my leisure spoilers or no spoilers.

i'm eager to see how bad they fuck up the ending tho. this is gonna be huge. the fucked up part will be that there will be heaps of ppl who care even less than me and just like to tune in to see the final episodes of things. that always happens, otherwise why is it that series finales are such huge ratings hits? where were all these ppl before? they'll get their moneys worth of shitty endings alright!

i'm tempted to watch it myself just to be there when it happens. and to join the millions of disappointed voyeurs.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

I asked my wife this morning, after sleeping on this episode, "What kind of assholes think they can get away with writing 'It's the light that's inside every man'?" This episode had such fucking terrible dialogue, as has been said, it made Allison Janney look bad. Could not agree more with what's been said so far.

After reading that article, they are way too fucking defensive of the show. Why is every answer "that was/wasn't our intent"? Why can't they just say, "Yeah we fucked up and we sucked at writing that week"? Some episodes are great, some are terrible. Across the Sea was terrible because, as Devin at CHUD points out, they just plain wrote a shitty fucking episode. The Hitfix guy should've asked if it was their intent to write a terrible episode. Quality of writing is different from quality of story, and they should learn to differentiate the two. But to be egalitarian, the quality of the story was fucking awful too.

These guys, especially Lindelof, need to realize that the people who are pissed are not just some fringe group of Tea Partiers who think the show is terrible; it's the people who've watched from season 1 or caught up since then that are turning their backs. They're either oblivious or in denial, and it might kill their little show.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

i think they're just sick of the thing by now.

it's strange cos they didn't use to be this way. remember when they killed off those two worthless new characters several seasons ago (forget their names, some broad and some italian dude) in the one episode after audience backlash? or was that planned. i don't think so. it was them going "oh shit we're going the wrong way with this, let's stick to the classics".

i wonder if their ultra-defensiveness since then has been due to their contractual obligation to conclude the show at a given point and in a given way. ok they weren't told they had to end the show in a certain way but when they decided it was gonna die, they had to decide how to do it or it just wouldn't be professional -- in order to budget, plan, etc. so all the mistakes they're making this year were decided ages ago, and with no input from fans whom history has shown actually know the show better than the creators themselves.

sort of like what happened to the simpsons in the opposite direction. they decided at some point to NEVER end the show, and so with this infinite goal decided they never had to listen to fans cos they were here to stay no matter what, and what you get then is an insulated piece of shit with no idea what made the show good from week to week cos they're thinking decade to decade.
under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

P-
It was Nicky and Paulo and it was because of backlash.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

It was really bad.

The worst thing in my opinion is that we have watched Lost all these years and we relate to and care about all these central characters, and they cannot be all gone for an entire episode when there are two episodes left. No way. Plus, that scene towards the end seemed so forced. They really spent more time thinking how they can give answers and make it look good, than to worry if it makes sense or not to explain that.

After last episode, which I also did not love but with a lot of shit that went down, I want to go back and see what happens with all these people, the flash sideways, etc. There doesn't seem to be enough time to finish this.

mogwai

They should've done an episode of Jacob and Smokie of this video instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JBYlNTf-Q&playnext_from=TL&videos=ZXaV3amElyg

RegularKarate

I'm not going to defend this episode, but I'm still excited to see what happens now that the last bit of mythology is out of the way.

I really think that with TV, bad episodes sometimes just happen.  They're not allowed to admit to it so they have to just brush off the hate and move on.

Mod is still overreacting.

polkablues

It's just a disappointment when the bad episode happens this close to the end, and on such an important part of the story. And it didn't HAVE to be bad; with some restructuring and a good rewrite, it could have been something special. How bad it actually was is magnified by knowing how good it could have been.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

I just watched it last night and my gf had seen it tuesday. So when I went to bed last night I told her : ''Well that was useless!'' and she replied: ''well... it was nice to see Kate and Jack in the old episode, they looked different''

I thought that was pretty evocative of how useless the episode was.

socketlevel

ya pretty much everything about this episode was bad, which is unfortunate because by and large this season has been really good.
the one last hit that spent you...