Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Neil

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 25, 2010, 04:56:14 PM
Quote from: polkablues on March 25, 2010, 04:43:01 PM
You're assuming the boat we saw before was the Black Rock.  It very well could have been any other ship from any other prior time.

They're basically Jack and Locke in the hatch.

This is the part that really needs elaboration. at least for me.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Sleepless

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 25, 2010, 10:32:19 AM
Man in Black's reaction to finding out Richard listened to Jacob... he just gave up.  I still think it's possible Jacob is the evil one.

Me too. And I hope so.

When they did the reveal that it was Loophole that freed Richard, I got quite optimistic that that is the case. Think about how cool that would be. If Jacob is the evil one it turns the entire concept of the candidates on its head.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kal

Well, the point here is that Jacob wants the other dude to stay on the island, and the other dude hasn't been able to escape for all this time. Jacob says shit will go down if they let him leave, so that is what we need to really understand. What will really happen if he leaves? And in the alternate universe when the island is under water, where are these guys?

Then the man in black said he needs to kill Jacob in order to leave. Now he is dead and he still needs to leave by taking Widmore's submarine or the plane. WTF? Why didn't he leave before then if he just needs transportation? And why isn't he attacking Widmore NOW as the black smoke and kill them all BEFORE they setup those things that New Otherton had to keep the smoke away?

I mean, I love this shit but when you really start asking question the whole thing falls apart.

polkablues

There's a big difference between "falls apart" and "hasn't been explained yet". Just because something doesn't make total sense with the information we currently have doesn't mean it's automatically a plot hole; it just mean we don't have all the information.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

Quote from: polkablues on March 25, 2010, 09:40:36 PM
There's a big difference between "falls apart" and "hasn't been explained yet". Just because something doesn't make total sense with the information we currently have doesn't mean it's automatically a plot hole; it just mean we don't have all the information.

True. And thats what we all hope for. But i don't think all these questions (holes) will be filled on time. It would be too much.

BTW I just read the title for the series finale, and for the first time these guys are being direct about something. The title for the final episode is "THE END". Good one.

diggler

Quote from: polkablues on March 25, 2010, 04:43:01 PM
Quote from: ddiggler on March 25, 2010, 12:27:18 PM
i thought the most interesting reveal was that the black rock came to the island in a storm and last season it was off the shore in clear sunny skies, apparently that was deliberate.

You're assuming the boat we saw before was the Black Rock.  It very well could have been any other ship from any other prior time.

lindelof and cuse confirmed in this week's podcast that it was the black rock in both scenes, and that the weather change was significant.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

RegularKarate

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2010, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on March 25, 2010, 04:56:14 PM
They're basically Jack and Locke in the hatch.

This is the part that really needs elaboration. at least for me.

Jacob to Man in Black: "You can't leave, if we leave, this bad thing will happen to this island."
Man in Black to Jacob: "I don't care what happens, this is ridiculous, I just want to leave."

Locke to Jack: "Jack, we have to stay here and press this button, if we don't the whole island will blow up."
Jack to Locke: "Nothing is going to happen, I'm not pressing that button, I just want to leave this island."

Interestingly enough Locke represents Jacob's POV here yet now his body is carrying the Man in Black.

Quote from: ddiggler on March 25, 2010, 10:18:20 PM
lindelof and cuse confirmed in this week's podcast that it was the black rock in both scenes, and that the weather change was significant.

I need to start listening to that podcast again... I quit after season 2 (during the summer) and just never came back.
Also, not that this was necessarily that bad, we should also remind everyone that the "(SPOILERS)" in the title of this thread refers to spoilers about episodes that have already aired ONLY.  That means you if you have any information about future episodes (outside of obvious stuff like the titles) that wasn't already explained in a previous episode DO NOT POST IT WITHOUT A GOOD SPOILER WARNING.

That's for everyone... not necessarily aimed at you, dirk

To be honest, I probably would have listened to the podcast anyway, but now that I've read that, I just got a flash of how I think this whole thing might end.

JG

diggler

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 26, 2010, 10:24:23 AM
I need to start listening to that podcast again... I quit after season 2 (during the summer) and just never came back.
Also, not that this was necessarily that bad, we should also remind everyone that the "(SPOILERS)" in the title of this thread refers to spoilers about episodes that have already aired ONLY.  That means you if you have any information about future episodes (outside of obvious stuff like the titles) that wasn't already explained in a previous episode DO NOT POST IT WITHOUT A GOOD SPOILER WARNING.

That's for everyone... not necessarily aimed at you, dirk

To be honest, I probably would have listened to the podcast anyway, but now that I've read that, I just got a flash of how I think this whole thing might end.

sorry, i figured the podcast info was fair game, considering they're talking about an episode that already aired. plus, them saying the storm was significant is really just a confirmation that the weather change wasn't a continuity error.  

RegularKarate

No need to apologize.  You're right, that wasn't really a spoiler at all.  I was just reminding because it hadn't been said in a while and I wanted to be safe this close to the end.

and JG, let's just say "I wonder who Richard's constant is"

MacGuffin

The 'Lost' weekend: Saul Bass travels to a mysterious Island
Source: Los Angeles Times

Lost vs. Saul Bass from Hexagonall on Vimeo.

Do you like "Lost"? Do you also, perhaps, like the 1950s and '60s title credits sequences designed by Saul Bass, he of the angular designs and crazy, bright color schemes? Well, then, this video (which I first saw thanks to the Twitter feed of film writer Ali Arikan) is going to be for you. It takes the visual motifs of Saul Bass, the plot elements of "Lost" and the actors' names and tosses them all into one wacky pop cultural blender. I don't think I've seen a more fascinating mash-up of general pop culture and "Lost" this year, and I hope that if there really IS a zombie season, the producers adopt this credits sequence. (Not really, but it would be cool to have it as an option on the DVD, eventually.)

And if you think you're a "Lost" super-fan, then you clearly haven't met Matt Roeser, who is perhaps the superest of super-fans. He hosts an elaborate "Lost" finale party every year, and his planning for the event involves making video invitations that do elaborate take-offs on the show's iconography and tell their own stories about Matt trying to put on the party. I genuinely have no idea where he finds the time and/or funds to put these together, but I think they're pretty great. (I also like that Matt, who's a graphic designer by trade, has come up with this pretty cool drawing of a DHARMA shark that he's using on T-shirts. So THAT'S where he gets the funds!)

This week's best "Lost" theorizing probably comes from GameZone's Louis Bedigan, who uses the phrase "God loves you as He loved Jacob" as a starting point to examine some of the show's other issues and ideas.

Bedigan writes:

"If the quote is correct – if Ben knows something we don't – there are two logical ways to explain it. One is that Jacob did something to disappoint God, such as allowing good people to die while facilitating the death of others. Thus, God once loved Jacob but no longer does, as if he were a fallen angel.

"But wait ... some fans theorize that Fake Locke was a former candidate who had a falling out with Jacob. What would that make him: a fallen angel's fallen angel? That being the case, wouldn't it make perfect sense that the smoke monster's real name is Wallace, the mysterious man who appeared next to the number '108' on the dial of the magic mirror?

"The second explanation for the quote is that Jacob has always been past tense. All these years, we've been under the impression that whoever he was, he was alive until Ben killed him. Even the smoke monster thought so. But maybe he's been a ghost since before the show even began, and in gathering all of these people, he wasn't merely trying to prove that people were good (as he claimed) – he was also trying to save himself. That would certainly fit with the show's recurring theme of redemption."

These are some interesting thoughts from Bedigan, and while I don't know how deeply the show will delve into some of these issues, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the right track with some of these thoughts. Read the full article to get even more of his theory.

If you aren't checking out sl-lost.com every so often, you're missing out on some cool "Lost" content. Here, for example, is an appearance at the Apple store in Santa Monica made by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and captured in its entirety. There are no heavy spoilers, and the whole thing is a cool look into how this show being a phenomenon has affected these guys.

Finally, it's time for March Madness. And that also means it's time for March Madness, "Lost" style. Who's winning in your bracket? Me, I don't see how Desmond loses this. He can travel through time! (The bracket comes courtesy of blog Loveology, and I found it thanks to "Lost" blogger Crit Obara.) Let us know who you pick down in comments.

http://vimeo.com/6660925
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jerome

this is pretty awesome.

Gamblour.

"No, cause that'd be ridiculous" is the best line of the series PERIOD. This episode was ok to goodish.
WWPTAD?

diggler

another "moving pieces into place" episode, but i found the off island story to be surprisingly engaging. i had assumed the reason jin was in the kitchen was over the money, but the reveal that it was the price to kill him was a nice twist. also loved the scene of jin finally seeing pictures of ji yeon. 

desmond next week! i'm guessing desmond and sayid's inevitable interaction won't be quite like it was in "the constant"

Pozer

my favorite part was the ABC countdown to V show logo. im sure Sun's letter wasnt of importance.