Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

MacGuffin

Anyone else watching this 'stranded-on-a-desert-isle' show? Every week keeps getting better. Along with "Alias," JJ Abrams really knows how to keep the cliffhangers coming (a polar bear on the island?!). The characters are really well defined, with every one of them having some secret(s).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, it's pretty decent, though I thought the previews gave away way too much on episode three (I just sat there, waiting for the Marshall to wake up).  Terry O'Quinn better pay off huge with all that lingering they're doing...

My biggest fear is that the whole island will be a 'Rimbaldi device' with no real answers, only more cock-teasing and confusion.  But still JJ's delivering the goods, so I'll stop whining...

Raikus

Pssh. Everyone knows it's Arvil in a secret volcano control room flipping levers.

Is anyone else sensing a supernatural vibe here between the bald, soon to be Rambo guy and the young kid? Little yin/yang going on? Especially with the sudden rain stoppage.

My only fear for the show is they'll throw weird stuff out there just for the sake of it and not tie up the loose ends.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Kal

Ok after 14 episodes I can say that JJ Abrams and the writers of this show are geniuses. By now we may think we know a lot about the characters and what is going on but the truth is that we have no fucking idea of what will happen. It keeps getting better and better and I'm fucking addicted. I also watch Smallville so it bugs me that I have to TiVo one of the shows so I can watch them both, but damn this is a good show and has everything.

kotte

I am really fucking impressed by Dominic Monaghan in this. He's really shook off his Ring baggage.

MacGuffin

I blubbered like a baby last night. Powerful episode.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

It was great... its really getting more and more intense each week... only 2 episodes to go... I think the Season Finale will be really fucked up

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffinI blubbered like a baby last night. Powerful episode.

Yeah, I didn't cry, but I'm really, really glad they kept everything soooo simple.

Spoilers

So they show that Jack's engaged, and it could've been 'different' or 'interesting' if he left he was wife, but no. He gets married. It's that simple. And that's more jarring that he has a wife, a loved one, elsewhere. No one on the island is like that.

And then Boone could've been brought back. Jack could've cut off his leg. But no. He just dies. And that's all that needed to happen. When they keep it simple, it's so real. It's almost a novelty on the show too. They sometimes overwrite the characters' backgrounds.

I think this episode was the best written one, next to Sawyer's two episodes.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

I thought it was still corny, but a lot less corny than a lot of other television shows (SPOILER: "I didn't save you... [everyone all together now]... you saved me... *sniff*"  that was pretty bad]

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarSpoilers

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarhe has a wife, a loved one, elsewhere. No one on the island is like that.

We don't know that... they keep revealing stuff as they go.  Something else could have happened.  He seemed pretty alone in the more recent flashback.

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollarAnd then Boone could've been brought back. Jack could've cut off his leg. But no. He just dies.

Of course his life is lost right when the child is born.  Is Boone really gone?

Also...a question about last week's episode... what did the person on the radio say right before the old plane fell?  I forget the flight number, but Boone says something like "we're the survivors of flight XX" and I thought the response was "there WERE no survivors of flight XX" and my wife thinks the person said "This IS flight XX"

This show is gonna end up like the Prisoner... it will only ask more questions... once you answer them, you lose viewers.

Gamblour.

SPOILERS

About Boone, I totally agree. A life was lost, but a life was gained. I don't think it's a reincarnation, but it's a testament to beginnings and endings.

You're right about Jack's wife. I was assuming that stayed married until Jack went to Australia.

Also, I disagree about this being like Prisoner. The first season of this show is setting up all the questions. It's relentless in its refusal to give answers though. It's always hinting at something. I think the answer will be a huge payoff that will bring more viewers. I think it would be perfect to actually round out this series, after a season or two, and have the people leave the island. Like a loooong movie, beginning, middle and end. All the answers will be refreshing, because there are secrets that the characters are uncovering along with the audience.

And the radio said "There were no survivors on flight Oceania 815" or something like that, I believe.
WWPTAD?

Kal

The thing about it is that they can start revealing some questions... but think of HOW MANY questions...

- The Frenchwoman?
- Where the hell did Ethan come from?
- What the hell happens after they turn on that light (the episode before)
- The Monster?
- The numbers that brought the Frenchwoman and Hurley (printed on the door).
- More connections between the characters (Sawyer and Jack, Kate and Sawyer, etc.)

I'm probably forgetting some important ones... but its just there is so much going on that its impossible for them to reveal all the answers so fast... this is why its a good show also and everyone is hooked... nobody is trying to solve a mystery... but many... and more appear every episode!

The trailer for the Next Episode and the 2 Hour Season Finale seemed very intense... I hate to think they will end it with an incredible cliffhanger and we'll have to wait four months to know what the fuck happens...

MacGuffin

Lost: The Complete First Season hits DVD on 9/6 (SRP $59.99), featuring "five hours of bonus material, including the original pilot, behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the show; audio commentaries, a blooper reel, roundtable discussions with cast and crew, and a Matthew Fox photography featurette."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

*SPOILERS*

Is Boone gone for good?
Sure, the character died. But that hasn't killed speculation he might return. "Lost" actor Ian Somerhalder won't say. Source: Los Angeles Times

Ian Somerhalder is keeping tight-lipped about the true fate of his character Boone on ABC's hit series, "Lost."

Despite the heroic efforts of Jack (Matthew Fox), Boone died in Wednesday's episode from injuries he suffered when a wrecked plane he was crawling around in slipped from a tall tree and fell to the ground.

"I am hoping that I will [return]," Somerhalder said in a phone interview Friday morning from his home in Oahu, Hawaii, where the series is filmed. "I am not sure that I am, but again it's that really cheesy cliché thing — it's 'Lost,' so you truly never know."

Boone was the first major character to be killed off the show, which revolves around a group of plane-crash survivors stranded on a mysterious South Pacific island. Somerhalder, 26, said all the series' regulars were told there was a chance their character could die during the course of the season.

"We are on this island that is the most dangerous place," said the former model. "It would be illogical if there weren't casualties, and the cold hard reality is that people are going to die."

But Somerhalder isn't headed for the unemployment lines anytime soon. He recently signed a deal with ABC/Touchstone.

"It is for a couple of things," he said. "A one-hour drama most definitely."

Somerhalder is also heading off to South Africa next week for a movie called "The Breed."

The blond, blue-eyed actor, previously seen in the 2000 WB series "Young Americans" and 2002 feature "The Rules of Attraction," learned on Jan. 24 that Boone was going to meet his maker.

"Actually, I only remember that [date] because it was right after the Golden Globes," he said, laughing. "I was in the wine country wine tasting when I found out, which made it a little easier."

But Somerhalder said he wasn't really upset about the demise of his character.

"I didn't even think about it," he said. "That is one of those things. It was more about, 'Shoot. I am going to have to leave Hawaii and leave this group of people I adore.' "

The actor admitted he was scared when it came time to shoot his death scene. "You are so worried to make it correct. I was frightened of it, but we got through it. Foxy [Matthew Fox] is the best actor I ever worked with, and I have worked with some really amazing people."

Websites and publications have been questioning whether Boone might pop up on subsequent episodes, but mum's the word from Somerhalder.

He's just moving forward, hoping to produce his own film projects through his company, Journey's End Films.

"Once things calm down there are a couple of scripts, one in particular which I can't wait to do," he said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

BLAH BLAH SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO. The season finale.

Good lord, they have barely answered anything. Are these guys pirates? Where's that ladder go? I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. It will take all of season 2 to figure these questions out. But I will still watch because it's a great show. I love the histories and backstories. Hurley's adventure getting to the plane was great.
WWPTAD?

jtm

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkAre these guys pirates?

****SPOILERS***

i have a feeling the guys who took Walt are the same people Danielle was going to meet at the black smoke, "the others" she's always referring to...  the blond haired girl that was in the cabin is prolly her daughter.