I think I'm in love with Veronica Lake

Started by SoNowThen, May 04, 2004, 09:36:06 AM

SoNowThen

When I saw her in Sullivan's Travels I couldn't keep my eyes off her. Now, last night I watched This Gun For Hire.

Where are the actresses like her nowadays? Like Rita Hayworth, like Lana Turner? Oh, to be sure we have our "good looking, well liked" gals -- our Hepburns and our Bergmans. But they're not like the above three. They can't set your heart and soul on fire, inspire you to the greatest of heights, make you feel like life without them was life not worth living.

So anyway, Veronica, damn, she had presence, she could act, and let's face it, she's about as easy on the eyes as anyone ever was. Though I just read on imdb about her tragic later career, I guess she was (besides about 3 flicks) totally wasted as an actress. Argh!!!! When I saw LA Confidential, and Basinger said "the hair's dyed, the rest is all me", I thought, yeah, she's a babe, she could be that movie star the men all want. But now I know, it's almost an insult to think this even for a second. Kim couldn't hold a candle to the real deal. Veronica was one of a kind.

*swoon*
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Thrindle

Classic.

SoNowThen

Awesome!! Thanks, Thrindle.

Though those last two pics don't do the gals justice.

Oh, and Mac and I were talking about this in PM's a while back, and I think I like Rita Hayworth better when she had her hair short and blonde (Lady From Shanghai). Mac was saying that supposedly that was scandalous to people used to her regular look, but it works for me!!

Also of note: gorgeous Veronica was only 5'2".
:yabbse-grin:  :yabbse-thumbup:

EDIT: sorry, I just realized I said Lana Turner, when I meant Ava Gardner (who was in The Killers). My bad bad bad. No more crack smoking at lunch...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenOh, and Mac and I were talking about this in PM's a while back, and I think I like Rita Hayworth better when she had her hair short and blonde (Lady From Shanghai). Mac was saying that supposedly that was scandalous to people used to her regular look, but it works for me!!

Orson Welles made her change her hair/look (think Scotty in Vertigo), which is why that marriage didn't last long after that film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Yeah, actually I read that they were pretty much broken up before it even started shooting, so a lot of people thought it was Orson's way of sticking it to her one last time. Fuck up her look and her image, make her play a double-crossing bitch.

But, damn, I think the man just knew what he was doing and saw how her perfect and graceful neck was being hidden by that thick hair. Anyway, I have a chick friend who looks a lot like Rita in that movie, needless to say she's one of the most beautiful people I've ever known, so I'm kinda biased to that look.

Thrindle

I don't know... I prefer her as a brunette...
Classic.

SoNowThen

Ravi

Veronica Lake.  One of my former avatars.  Her short stature was apparent in Sullivan's Travels when she becomes a hobo with Joel McCrea.

Gloria

Just think, by today's standards, she would have had to lose weight and would probably be doing Patene Pro-V commercials.  :(

Just because I love old black and whites:

bonanzataz

i do love veronica lake, very much, but ingrid bergman, i think, is the most beautiful person to ever be shot in black and white. how dare anybody say she was merely a likable, pretty girl.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

SoNowThen

Quote from: GloriaJust think, by today's standards, she would have had to lose weight ... :(

That's bullshit, don't cry that old tired tune.

Monroe (and even Hayworth, from the looks of her pictures) may have been bigger boned and that theory flies, but Lake is a tiny little stick. I'm sure chicks in her day would bitch and complain when they looked at her. "Oh, what a floozie. Ooh, does she starve herself", and blah blah blah.

Sorry, it's just that kind of thing irks me. Part of the fact that she's beautiful is that she's very thin, very compact, yet still nice and curvy.

SoNowThen

Quote from: bonanzatazi do love veronica lake, very much, but ingrid bergman, i think, is the most beautiful person to ever be shot in black and white. how dare anybody say she was merely a likable, pretty girl.

Oh, she's beautiful, I agree. It's just when I see her all I think of is "ahh, she's quite nice looking, and quite a good actress", whereas Hayworth and Turner and Lake are all top actresses, and they're all beautiful, but they also raise the temperature in a room by about 20 degrees, y'know what I mean? There's more visible sexuality blazing around them. Something...

Gloria

Quote from: SoNowThenThat's bullshit, don't cry that old tired tune.

It's not bullshit.  Standards today are different than they were.  I'm mocking today's standards, not dragging Veronica Lake down.  She is gorgeous and obviously talented. But the 'curvy' body you speak of is rare today.  I just stated my observation, I didn't mean to spark a conflict.

SoNowThen

I understand that, and I know you weren't ragging on Veronica. I just don't think beauty standards have got any heavier today. They may have changed, but the pressure was always the same. So it seems to me that if Veronica was around today, and I posted pics and said I loved her, people would just shrug it off. But with the distance of time, we can embrace it as class.

I'm sure for her time she was a jack-off fantasy on par with a Pamela Anderson for my generation. I'm not looking to ignore that.

Also, I just thought it was pertinent to point out that she is skinnier than very nearly every gal you pass on the street on a regular basis. And that's okay. Skinny doesn't always have to equal "unhealthy" or "emotional problems brought on by society's standards".

'Tis all.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenI just don't think beauty standards have got any heavier today. They may have changed, but the pressure was always the same. So it seems to me that if Veronica was around today, and I posted pics and said I loved her, people would just shrug it off. But with the distance of time, we can embrace it as class.

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm sure for her time she was a jack-off fantasy on par with a Pamela Anderson for my generation. I'm not looking to ignore that.

Let's go with this comparision. To compare Lake to Anderson just shows you the difference in beauty standards from the eras. Lake's era was about glamour and faces (as Gloria Swanson put it). The women (not chicks) of that time were dressed in elegance and grace - dressed being the key word. A lot was left to imagination. Thinking mens' sex symbols.

Now, take today, where Anderson is all about the body (and a fake plastic one at that), where her "beauty" is reduced to a spread in Playboy and Maxim without any, or hardly any, clothing. Gloria is right. Lake would have to show some skin and her belly to prove how "beautiful" she is. It's not just the time and distance that makes Lake and others of her era classy, it's how they were (or how the studios promoted them). Lake never appeared in a widely seen sex video.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks