American Idol

Started by Thrindle, April 14, 2004, 11:06:26 PM

MacGuffin

Indie calls McPhee for feature bow
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"American Idol" runner-up Katharine McPhee is set to make her feature film debut as the star of the indie dark romantic comedy "The Last Caller."

Penned by Michael Albanese, the story is described as a coming-of-age tale about a self-obsessed woman (McPhee) who searches for love, hope and meaning during a few random events with other urban seekers.

"Caller" is produced by Hit and Run Prods.' Hilary Shor ("Children of Men") and Zenith Film Group's Nicholas Cokas. Robert Hawk ("Chasing Amy") will serve as associate producer. The film's budget will fall in the $5 million-$8 million range, and shooting is scheduled to start in the fall in and around New York.

"This is the first thing that I read that I really wanted to do," said McPhee, who added that the role doesn't involve singing. "I'm up for a couple of big studio projects, but they weren't starring roles. I wanted to start off doing something a little different. It's something that a lot of people wouldn't expect me doing."

In fact, the Southern California native said the film's protagonist "is definitely a little darker than me."

McPhee, who was edged out by Taylor Hicks as winner of the fifth season of "American Idol," made her self-titled album debut for RCA/19 Recordings, which landed at No. 2 on the Billboard chart. Her first single, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/My Destiny," debuted at No. 2 on Billboard's Hot Singles Sales chart.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Is anyone watching American Idol this season?

I hadn't watched it at all until some of last season, so I really don't have much perspective. But I can say I've already seen enough contestants this season who could easily replace the entire top 12 from last year. Huge difference. I only liked one of the finalists from last season, but it could be much different this time.

I'm really not sure why I'm fascinated with the show. There's the obvious weirdness you get to see during the auditions. There's a certain suspense and sports-like quality to the "main event" part of the season, especially if you have a favorite. But right now I'm enjoying the elimination rounds most of all. There's a kind of epic justice (and probably schadenfreude) in seeing bad singers' dreams being crushed. There's also a thrill in being surprised by the few who do stand out among the field of melisma-drowned impersonators.

tpfkabi

I watch most of it, though Thursdays I already watch about 3 or 4 other shows.

I missed Jacqueline Dunford bowing out. She would have been nice eye candy.

Surprised at how well the new judges are working out. I thought Simon leaving would have been a disaster and a show ender.

Of course, so far we have seen taped and edited shows, so it will be interesting to see how the judges handle it live.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

pete

is there a gospel singer on the show named Erin Daneele from Boston yet?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Don't remember seeing her...

Jeremy Blackman

Two great performances from Thursday's episode...

Jeremy Blackman

Big mistake not putting this guy through. Here's (a brief piece of) his performance of one of the better Paramore songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dovOzRMSQ7o#t=2m32s

My favorites are Casey Abrams, James Durbin, and Jacob Lusk.

Not sure why I felt the need to do this, but here's my top 12 prediction:

Casey Abrams
Clint Jun Gamboa
Jacob Lusk
James Durbin
Jordan Dorsey
Julie Zorrilla
Lauren Alaina
Robbie Rosen
Scotty McCreery
Stefano Lagone
Thia Megia
Tim Halperin

Some thoughts on the judges...

I honestly didn't know whether I would watch this season, with the lack of Simon, and when it became clear there was no Simon replacement. However, I actually really like the current judge lineup. (I'll explain.) When you think about it, this really subverts the way Idol has operated in the past. You don't have a hack producer with dollar signs in his eyes (Simon) or a hack songwriter (Kara) constantly worried about how "commercial" the contestants are. And as a consequence, you don't have contestants promising to make them rich (how sad was that last season?), and you probably attract more legitimate auditions. Side note—I think I almost clawed my eyes out last season when Kara used the word "commercial" as a compliment for the 14th time.

The judging last season was all over the place. Each time Simon or Kara would be confused by the slightest expression of individuality in a performance, their lack of credibility became more and more astonishing. It's no wonder I always agreed with Randy. (I'll give Ellen a pass here, because she was usually right, if not articulate.) Now, for the very first time in the show's history, all the judges are legitimate musicians. This is why they're on the same page most of the time. I wonder how much disagreement we'll see in the main event—my guess is not much.

The show is becoming less about quips from the judges, and more about the actual music.

Overall, the contestants are so much better than last season. Just in the first audition episodes, I had already seen enough singers who could pretty much replace Season 9's entire top 12. Last season, I complained that Siobhan Magnus had to share a stage with talentless imitators like Lacey Brown, Tim Urban, and most of the other finalists. This season, these people can actually sing.

I definitely appreciate that they've gone light on the sob stories, but there's one production gimmick that's starting to get to me. The pre-commercial teasers will often say something like "But someone will be going home!" And then they show the face of someone who's NOT going home. The person is in tears, yes, but we later find out they're tears of joy. They did this about 7 times in the latest episode. One of them showed Casey Abrams knocking over his chair, in a way that you couldn't tell whether he was happy or upset, with an ominous voiceover. (Of course, he made it through and knocked over the chair in excitement.) It's not that the device necessarily bothers me; it's that it's become so predictable that it spoils the results. If they say something like "Someone's dream is coming to an end!" and show a contestant surprised or crying, you can be sure that person's dream is NOT in fact coming to an end.

polkablues

I gave up this show partway through last season, right after Lilly Scott got booted, and hadn't watched any of this season, but I checked out the top 24 to see if there was any good talent this year to make it worth watching.  Long story short, I'm going to be Youtubing the Paul McDonald and Casey Abrams performances and calling it good.  Jacob Lusk is clearly talented beyond measure, but just doesn't interest me musically.  The girls, to a man (pardon the expression), bored me to tears.  The only one who did anything close to interesting was the girl who butchered the Fiona Apple song, but at least she was trying something.  Of course, she didn't make the cut, so that's that.  I might be convinced to watch some of Pia Toscano's performances with the sound low...

But seriously, .  Dude!  I want this guy's album already.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I'm with you, Polka.

But last year was the first year I watched American Idol, so I guess in relative terms, I'm fairly happy with this season. Song choice does need to get better (much better), but it could be a good season.

I did like Lily Scott. She actually tells a funny story about how the band leader and the producers kept mispronouncing Moog, and when she politely corrected them, they told her she was wrong.

I was a fan of Siobhan Magnus last season. I'll try to remember to post links to my favorite performances of hers. She had a few great ones.

This season, it's Casey Abrams all the way, followed by James Durbin, then Jacob Lusk. The rest I could do without, (and you're right) especially the girls (with the possible exception of Thia Megia). Nearly all of them are simply impersonators, which unfortunately is rampant on Idol.

That's partly what bothered me about Paul McDonald's "Maggie May" performance, actually. I won't deny that he's skilled, but again, it was a little too much impersonation for me. I'm definitely open to liking him, though.

I thought Rachel Zevita's performance of "Criminal" was interesting at first, but ultimately horrible. The arrangement and her vocals destroyed the song in every way imaginable. She was trying too hard. Also potentially pandering with the sexy walk stuff, which she was obviously uncomfortable doing. It's a shame... she could have been good (maybe).

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 04, 2011, 07:22:23 PM
That's partly what bothered me about Paul McDonald's "Maggie May" performance, actually. I won't deny that he's skilled, but again, it was a little too much impersonation for me. I'm definitely open to liking him, though.

I don't really get that.  He has a wildly different voice than Rod Stewart, and while he didn't mix up the arrangement or anything like that, it was the performance of a musician, not of a karaoke performer.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 04, 2011, 07:22:23 PM
I did like Lily Scott. She actually tells a funny story about how the band leader and the producers kept mispronouncing Moog, and when she politely corrected them, they told her she was wrong.

That's awesome.  I love her even more now.  I actually bought her band Varlet's album on iTunes, and it's pretty good.  Her songwriting could use some refining, but I love the tone of voice and her phrasing.

Jeremy Blackman

Here's the story, Polka. Really interesting stuff actually:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/americanidoltracker/2010/03/with-radiohead-and-devendra-banhart-on-deck-was-lilly-scott-forced-out.html

Also, is it just me, or was this really freaking special? The best part is after 0:50. Love the control he has over his voice. But most of all, this was totally authentic, and few Idol performances are. I must have underrated Stefano before, because this is crazy...

polkablues

That was a much better song for him than the Bruno Mars song.  His voice is way too similar to Bruno Mars' (in terms of tone, not of range or ability) to be doing Bruno Mars covers on the show.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on March 05, 2011, 12:48:05 PM
That was a much better song for him than the Bruno Mars song.  His voice is way too similar to Bruno Mars' (in terms of tone, not of range or ability) to be doing Bruno Mars covers on the show.

You're right. I nearly hated his other performances, so I was really surprised to be moved by the one I linked. He has so much potential and could be one of my favorites. (Song choice, as always, is huge.) And I feel like I can't repeat it enough... In that performance, he has something that so few Idol contestants have: authenticity.

Which brings me to Siobhan Magnus.

Her later performances on Idol were sometimes rocky and sometimes unsuccessful experiments (apparently she wanted to try songs that were wrong for her), but in the early and mid season, she had some great ones. My favorites:

1. Wicked Game
The second half gives me chills. This is where she really distinguishes herself from the other contestants, with her sincere emotion and perfect expressiveness.

2. Living For The City
Her voice is at its full strength here. Completely fearless and unrestrained.

3. House Of The Rising Sun
More subtlety, vocal strength, and technical prowess. The transition at 0:24 gives me chills. She also sang it on Ellen here. It's better than the AI version.

4. Think
This is generally considered her most memorable performance, when she first hit the big glory note. A little frantic and impersonating, but it's pretty good. The judges' reactions are also worth seeing.

5. Paint It Black
Siobhan at her most dramatic. Also her last worthy performance.

polkablues

Okay, so Paul is still my favorite, and I like him even more for bringing Ryan Adams to the world's attention, but the poor guy butchered "Come Pick Me Up".  Totally out of key in the verses, awkward censoring of the swear words in the chorus, and the producer who told him to resolve the melody on the last line was an idiot.  I'm glad he made it through still; I want to see how he recovers.

tpfkabi

Quote from: polkablues on March 11, 2011, 01:02:26 PM
Okay, so Paul is still my favorite, and I like him even more for bringing Ryan Adams to the world's attention, but the poor guy butchered "Come Pick Me Up".  Totally out of key in the verses, awkward censoring of the swear words in the chorus, and the producer who told him to resolve the melody on the last line was an idiot.  I'm glad he made it through still; I want to see how he recovers.

I thought it was pretty bad, too. His movements on stage are best described as 'drunk Chris Martin.'
Pretty interesting how that one actress at the Red Riding Hood premiere seemed to have a crush on him and he's barely been on TV. Paste said that he has been featured on one of their compilations with his band in the past.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.