American Idol

Started by Thrindle, April 14, 2004, 11:06:26 PM

tpfkabi

i can see why you might not like Taylor, don't really understand the anger.
he was the only one never in the bottom 3, so you've been prepared.
but i'm glad it's over too. i can have a couple of hours a week to do something productive.

p.s. hedwig, what is your avatar from?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

grand theft sparrow

America has its new Michael Bolton.

And we can all start hoping for that McPhee Playboy spread.

hedwig

Quote from: bigideas on May 24, 2006, 09:57:44 PM
i can see why you might not like Taylor, don't really understand the anger.
haha, yes i posted it seconds after so the emotions were raw.  :shock: i'm over it though. the anger came from disliking taylor's performances (voice/persona) so much and loving katherine.
Quote from: bigideas on May 24, 2006, 09:57:44 PM
p.s. hedwig, what is your avatar from?
Lost Highway

Gamblour.

Quote from: picolas on May 24, 2006, 09:55:20 PM
Quote from: Hedwig on May 24, 2006, 09:15:31 PM
amazed that more americans vote in american idol than the presidential election. honestly, wtf.  :shock:
people can vote an unlimited number of times so it could just be a few people voting millions of times.

And children can't vote for president.
WWPTAD?

pete

amazed that more americans vote in american idol than the presidential election. honestly, wtf.  :shock:
people can vote an unlimited number of times so it could just be a few people voting millions of times.

like ohio!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on May 25, 2006, 06:16:06 PM

And children can't vote for president.

And you can't vote for the president by text message.

Ravi

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 24, 2006, 10:37:28 PM
America has its new Michael Bolton.

And a month after his CD is released you can pick up 100 copies at your local used CD store.

tpfkabi

did anyone see Wayne Coyne (flaming lips) point a wand at Taylor while they were performing on Leno? haha

Taylor will go multiple times platinum most likely. here's the key: does the song have cross over potential? will it fit with the pop charts and the adult contemp charts (the same radio stations that play celion deon, michael mcdonald, etc)? if so, it will be huge.

what really surprises me is that these people sell all these albums and then you don't hear from them a while. i don't know if Idol doesn't want them to compete with the new coming out or what. if you sell 4 million with one record, surely it won't be too hard to at least sell half that with a decent song and a little promotion.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on May 27, 2006, 12:44:22 PM
what really surprises me is that these people sell all these albums and then you don't hear from them a while. i don't know if Idol doesn't want them to compete with the new coming out or what. if you sell 4 million with one record, surely it won't be too hard to at least sell half that with a decent song and a little promotion.
that's because it's all promotion to begin with. no one really gives a crap about the songs these freaks release. apart from kelly clarkson i can't remember one single song by an american or australian idol.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

that's because you haven't had to listen to an adult cont pop station at work for 2+ yrs.

luckily i have gotten them to change to an oldies station and lately i've gotten in to classic country. both are loads better than adult pop.

clay aiken - if i was invisible

"what is she doing tonight? i wish i could be a fly on the wall."

i always thought that was a creepy line.

i daydreamed it as:

"what is she pooing tonight? i wish i could be some poo in a stall."

©brad

Quote from: bigideas on May 27, 2006, 10:45:04 PMclay aiken - if i was invisible

"what is she doing tonight? i wish i could be a fly on the wall."

i always thought that was a creepy line.

i daydreamed it as:

"what is she pooing tonight? i wish i could be some poo in a stall."

hahah, the line should really be "what is he doing tonight..."

Ravi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060614/ap_en_ce/people_taylor_hicks

Hicks tops People's 'hot bachelor' list

NEW YORK - "American Idol" Taylor Hicks is ranked as the No. 1 "hottest bachelor" by People magazine — and he's looking for love.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 29-year-old silver-haired crooner tops People's list in the magazine's new issue, on newsstands Friday. But the "Idol" winner says he'd happily give up his bachelor days.

"There's been no time," Hicks says of his dating life. "Now, I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life with the right woman."

Hicks also wants to find a woman he exchanged glances with on a recent airline flight. Of the mystery blonde, he says, "We waved and did a double-take look. It seemed like something out of a movie."

The magazine has set up e-mail and mailing addresses for the mystery woman to contact Hicks. The singer will also perform the song "Possibilities" in a new commercial for the Ford Motor Co., it was announced Wednesday.

Other "hot" bachelors — who aren't ranked by the magazine — are several celebrities no longer involved in high-profile romances, including
Matthew McConaughey (ex-boyfriend of Penelope Cruz), Nick Lachey (formerly married to Jessica Simpson), Jake Gyllenhaal (who dated Kirsten Dunst) and Kenny Chesney (briefly married to Renee Zellweger).

The list also includes Ryan Seacrest, Jamie Foxx, Owen Wilson and Wentworth Miller.

MacGuffin

McPhee: "Idol" Saved My Life

After landing a slot on American Idol, Katharine McPhee decided it was time to take control of her destiny.

In a new interview with People magazine, the fifth season runner-up reveals that she struggled with severe bulimia for five years, bingeing and purging in a destructive cycle that could have permanently ruined her singing voice and caused devastating consequences to her health.

At her worst, McPhee says she was making herself vomit up to seven times each day, which she equates to "putting a sledgehammer to your vocal cords."

But all that changed once the 22-year-old aspiring singer got the go-ahead from the Idol judges, and realized that in order to succeed on the talent search, she would need to rein in her eating disorder.

"When I made it onto American Idol, I knew that food--my eating disorder--was the one thing really holding me back," McPhee tells People. "I was bingeing my whole life away for days at a time...So when I got on the show, I said, 'You know what? I can do well in this competition. Let me give myself a chance and just get ahold of this thing.' "

Backed up by her parents, frequent Idol audience members Peisha and Daniel McPhee, the Idol hopeful enrolled in an intensive treatment program at Los Angeles's Eating Disorder Center of California, where she underwent three months of group and individual therapy, spending 10 hours a day, six days a week at the center.

"I really had to surrender and give up having a free life to do the program, because I'd be there from 9 in the morning until 7 at night," McPhee says. But she knew the sacrifice was necessary if she wanted to get well.

"I knew I had put off going to a treatment center long enough--I'd been struggling with bulimia since I was 17," she says.

McPhee attributes some of her problems with food to growing up in a city where tremendous emphasis is placed on celebrity-slim bodies.

"Growing up in Los Angeles and spending all those years in dance class, I'd been conscious of body image at a young age, and I went through phases of exercising compulsively and starving myself," she says.

By using the intuitive eating approach she learned at the Eating Disorder Center, McPhee was eventually able to redefine her relationship to food.

"I learned that there's no such thing as a bad food," she says. "If you look at a doughnut, people think it's a fattening food--why? Because if you eat it you'll get fat? No, you'll get fat if you eat 10 doughnuts."

As a result, she dropped 30 pounds and broke her cycle of bingeing and purging.

"That's why I say American Idol saved my life, because if I hadn't auditioned I don't think I would have gotten a handle on food," she tells the magazine.

By openly talking about her eating disorder, McPhee stands to help fans who may be struggling with similar issues, according to Dr. Thomas Weigel, a psychiatrist at the Klarman Eating Disorders Center at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts.

"Katharine's portrayal of her eating disorder and its effects on her life would tend toward helping people suffering with eating disorders to seek out treatment," Weigel said.

"She had a problem, which was affecting her career, and she went through a difficult treatment program to make progress toward recovery. It was hard work, but she fought against the eating disorder to get her life back."

And what a life it is. After the Idol finale, McPhee went on to sign a record deal with RCA Records in conjunction with 19 Recordings Limited.

Her first single, "My Destiny," coupled with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," is scheduled for release on Tuesday. As of Thursday, the tracks were ranked number 52 in music by Amazon.com.

Though the Idol competition is officially over, McPhee's still got her work cut out for her if she hopes to catch up to Taylor Hicks, who released his first single last week and instantly rocketed to the top of the charts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060907/ap_en_mu/people_clay_aiken

'Idol' singer Clay Aiken may serve Bush

RALEIGH, N.C. -
Clay Aiken is in line to be named to the President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities, the White House said Wednesday.

Aiken, a Raleigh native who gained fame as a runner-up on "American Idol," once worked as a YMCA counselor.

The committee's Web site said it advises the president on issues pertaining to people with intellectual disabilities. The committee was established in 1961 by President John Kennedy as the President's Panel on Mental Retardation.

A White House press release said President Bush intends to make the appointment. Officials did not say when.

The singer's new album, "A Thousand Different Ways," is due out later this month.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ravi on September 07, 2006, 01:21:13 AM
'Idol' singer Clay Aiken may serve Bush
hehe

Quote from: Ravi on September 07, 2006, 01:21:13 AM
Clay Aiken is in line to be named to the President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities

BWAHAHAHAHA