American Idol

Started by Thrindle, April 14, 2004, 11:06:26 PM

hedwig

Quote from: JG on May 10, 2006, 09:32:57 PM
The thing about Chris is that his voice is like everything I've ever heard.  Yeah, technically he's very good but there's nothing interesting about him.  And I hate his taste in music!  Creed, ugh.  The kind of record he would make would be so odd, as opposed to someone like Yamin who could make a classic Stevie Wonder type album filled with chamberlains and vibes and all that good stuff.   At this point its more about whose album I can picture enjoying more, although truth be told I'm probably not gonna buy it anyways. What don't you like about Elliot?[/

fair enough i guess, except i think yamin lacks the main ingredient of a 'stevie wonder type album'-- soulfulness. he knows how to hit notes nicely, i'm not doubtin his vocal abilities, but his performances suffered from a shortage of heart and charisma. taylor's the worst, though. it's embarassing he hasn't been voted off yet. the gimmick of a goofy gray haired nutcase spazzing out onstage got old fast, and like yamin, the dude knows how to control his voice, but the voice itself just doesn't make the cut.

i wouldn't buy download any of their albums, except for katherine's. and i'll download the album cover artwork and save it in my special "katherine" file under My Pictures. i'm serious. [/stalker]  :shock:

grand theft sparrow

The thing about Chris is that his voice is like everything I've ever heard. Yeah, technically he's very good but there's nothing interesting about him.

And this is why I'm (pleasantly) surprised that he got voted out.  I really thought he was going to be the winner.

Quote from: Hedwig on May 10, 2006, 11:50:33 PM
fair enough i guess, except i think yamin lacks the main ingredient of a 'stevie wonder type album'-- soulfulness. he knows how to hit notes nicely, i'm not doubtin his vocal abilities, but his performances suffered from a shortage of heart and charisma.

This is all true but the sad thing is he's got no less soul, heart, and charisma than any of his would be contemporaries.  He could make a nice living singing Disney movie theme songs.

Quote from: Hedwig on May 10, 2006, 11:50:33 PMtaylor's the worst, though. it's embarassing he hasn't been voted off yet. the gimmick of a goofy gray haired nutcase spazzing out onstage got old fast, and like yamin, the dude knows how to control his voice, but the voice itself just doesn't make the cut.

I will fight you.  He's winning one for all the geeks out there!  When he went to kick his mic stand a couple of weeks ago, missed, and went for it again, I said, "THAT'S my guy!"

Quote from: Hedwig on May 10, 2006, 11:50:33 PM
i wouldn't buy download any of their albums, except for katherine's. and i'll download the album cover artwork and save it in my special "katherine" file under My Pictures. i'm serious. [/stalker]  :shock:

She would be ideal for Broadway... and my mouth.

hedwig

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 11, 2006, 08:25:30 AM
Quote from: Hedwig on May 10, 2006, 11:50:33 PMtaylor's the worst, though. it's embarassing he hasn't been voted off yet. the gimmick of a goofy gray haired nutcase spazzing out onstage got old fast, and like yamin, the dude knows how to control his voice, but the voice itself just doesn't make the cut.

I will fight you.  He's winning one for all the geeks out there!  When he went to kick his mic stand a couple of weeks ago, missed, and went for it again, I said, "THAT'S my guy!"

oh yeah, that was kinda funny i guess. i think he's been successful largely cause he confounds expectations. people are willing to overlook general lack of talent because they're so enamored with the idea that a "guy like that" somehow made it onto american idol. makes sense, but it sucks.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Hedwig on May 11, 2006, 10:39:19 AM
Quote from: hacksparrow on May 11, 2006, 08:25:30 AM

oh yeah, that was kinda funny i guess. i think he's been successful largely cause he confounds expectations. people are willing to overlook general lack of talent because they're so enamored with the idea that a "guy like that" somehow made it onto american idol. makes sense, but it sucks.

That's fair to say but the whole show is based around that very concept.  I doubt that many people vote for the best performance on a show by show basis.  They either vote their favorite or vote what Simon says.  If people really cared who was the most talented over who's the cutest/funniest/etc., Bucky would have been the first to go.  But some people liked his dashing backwoods inbred good looks and kept him in for a while.

If the votes were based on pure singing talent, Mendisa and Katherine would be the final 2 with Mendisa winning.  So if America is already voting for who they find most attractive or any other factors, then why complain about Taylor over anyone else?  He's just playing the game.

hedwig

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 11, 2006, 01:00:13 PM
So if America is already voting for who they find most attractive or any other factors, then why complain about Taylor over anyone else?  He's just playing the game.

haha good point, i shouldn't single out taylor. for the sake of fairness:
- bucky was the cure for insomnia.
- ace was.. who WAS ace? oh right, the smiley guy. mr toothy. unforgettably forgettable.
- kellie was an idiot, even andrea bocelli knew she was blond. she was kinda cute in a pitiful sorta way, but her singing was a bore/screech.
- the gimmick of paris bennett's young age outweighed the quality of voice (she was good though).
- kevin was a pompous spawn of satan.

all are condemned! except kat, because she's kat.

Pubrick

Quote from: Hedwig on May 10, 2006, 09:19:06 PM
Quote from: JG on May 10, 2006, 09:07:47 PM
should've
:yabbse-thumbup:

:)
haha, you did well, but you still have a ways to go:

Quote from: JG on May 10, 2006, 09:07:47 PM
should've went home

it's like when, thanks to lisa, marge finally pronounces "foliage" correctly

Marge: I can honestly say that was the most fun I've ever had. The mill, the history, all that gorgeous... foliage.

Lisa

Marge: I can't excape Lisa, our little walking libary.

Lisa:
under the paving stones.

JG

haha it's funny cause in real life, i'm the one who's always commenting on malapromisms and colloquialisms and all things usage related, but here i just sort of forget grammar rules.  With my Herzog comment I specifically remember thinking before hitting post that it should have been "have," but it didn't sound as funny to me.  of course i forgot good ol' "could've." 

note to newbs:  know your grammar. 

©brad

taylor hicks is still in this thing?! he should be singing in a holiday inn cocktail lounge, if that.

i do not understand people.

RegularKarate

Quote from: ©brad on May 17, 2006, 08:59:24 PM
taylor hicks is still in this thing?! he should be singing in a holiday inn cocktail lounge, if that.

He's the best person to ever be on that gawdawful show.

hedwig

katherine is so perfect. she's got to win. it's so right for her to win. it's so GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that she's better than taylor in every way imaginable. and that's precisely why i think she'll probably lose.

Quote from: RegularKarate on May 17, 2006, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: ©brad on May 17, 2006, 08:59:24 PM

He's the best person to ever be on that gawdawful show.
:shock:

Pozer

oops, wrong room.  Pardon me, fellas.

tpfkabi

even though i've watched the last 3 seasons, i've never had the desire to actual buy any of the albums, but i might have bought an Eliott album. i could see it being a 70's soul record with Rhodes and Hammond B-3, etc.

you know katherine's will be a manufactured pop covers record with hot pictures in the booklet.

not sure about taylor. i could see it either being cheesy adult contemporary or maybe pretty good. it seems he does actually write music. no idea. with AI behind it, it will probaby cheesy adult cont. or Michael McDonald-y.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

Taylor actually has a personality and writes music and likes actual music instead of formulaic boolshit... the only reason he even entered the contest was to promote his band.... because he has a BAND... he's not just fucking solo face like the rest of these morons.

Katherine is so incredibly boring and obvious and void of anything that could possible make her different than the rest of the boring, obvious pop stars on the radio today.  This is why she will probably win.

I'm not saying that I would buy Taylor's album or anything... I'm just saying I'm glad he made it as far as he did because it shows that some of the idiots that actually vote on that show actually appreciate talent over tits.

hedwig

the only thing more infuriating than taylor winning is taylor winning and yelling out "Soul Patrol!!!".. i bet you john kerry's got more soul in his eyelash than taylor's got in his entire body.

rollercoaster ride of emotions over here..
sad katharine lost. :yabbse-cry:
angry taylor fuckface won.   :yabbse-angry:
amazed that more americans vote in american idol than the presidential election. honestly, wtf.  :shock:
happy this is over so i can stop caring.  :yabbse-smiley:

picolas

Quote from: Hedwig on May 24, 2006, 09:15:31 PM
amazed that more americans vote in american idol than the presidential election. honestly, wtf.  :shock:
people can vote an unlimited number of times so it could just be a few people voting millions of times.