American Idol

Started by Thrindle, April 14, 2004, 11:06:26 PM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ThrindleMac just elevated his status of cool... to unbelievably cool, for admitting that he watches American Idol.
Brown-noser.

El Duderino

i hope that 16 year old pale redhead goes home. i mean i'm happy for him and the fact that he's made it thus far and he's my age, but he just sucks. oh, and gloria estefan night was not caliente
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Elton John calls 'Idol' voting racist
From Reuters

British rock star Elton John, a guest judge this month on the Fox network's "American Idol," said Tuesday that he found the voting by the national viewing audience "incredibly racist."

John added his voice to a chorus of dissent that followed last week's exit of black vocalist Jennifer Hudson, considered one of the top talents among those vying for a recording contract.

"The three people I was really impressed with, and they just happened to be black, young female singers, and they all seem to be landing in the bottom three," said John, commenting on the tally in which the lowest vote-getter is eliminated.

"They have great voices. The fact that they're constantly in the bottom three — and I don't want to set myself up here — but I find it incredibly racist," John said at a New York news conference promoting his Radio City Music Hall concert.

Fox declined to comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

They landed in the bottom three because they probably split the vote among the black demographic.  The black demographic, incidentally, is the largest that watches the show.  There was just too much quality in that group.  Four great black artists on that show.  Incidentally, one may consider it racist to vote for someone based on the color of their skin.  Elton is way off here.

Jon Stevens finally got the boot.  Felt bad for the kid, but his voice just has no character.  It just kind of floats there, has no range, and is just flat in songs where it's supposed to have emotion.  I'm pulling for Diana Degarmo at this point.  Her performance last night killed.  But people seem to have selective amnesia about these things.  George Huff was killing just a few weeks ago.  Jasmine Trias is still cute and extremely talented as always, but her age gets in the way.

Thrindle

Quote from: OnomatopitaJon Stevens finally got the boot.

YAY!  I haven't watched it yet... cuz I'm on a different time zone...  Thanks for the info ONO!

EDIT - Jasmine Trias has awesome tone, unfortunately she can't sing in tune.
Classic.

Pubrick

Quote from: OnomatopitaFour great black artists on that show.  Incidentally, one may consider it racist to vote for someone based on the color of their skin.  Elton is way off here.
do u know what "incidentally" means? the talented singers just happen to be black. even if it's true that only the black ppl vote for "their kind", elton's comment still applies. not that it's anything new, american idol is racist, stupid, and just about the worst fad to come out of that place in recent years.
under the paving stones.

ono

Quote from: Pubrickdo u know what "incidentally" means?
It means "by the way," or "as a side note," among other things.

By the way, one may consider it racist to vote for someone based on the color of their skin.  And it is, if that's what they were doing.  No one can prove that, though.

Quote from: Pubrickthe talented singers just happen to be black.
That's just what I said.  The vote split.  And Elton's comment still doesn't apply.  He's implying that there are some racist cogs spinning in the background at FOX, when that really isn't true, no matter how "conservative" the network may be.  Consider past results, is all.

Quote from: Pubricknot that it's anything new, american idol is racist, stupid, and just about the worst fad to come out of that place in recent years.
Says you.  Again, to each his own.

Pubrick

Quote from: OnomatopitaThat's just what I said.  The vote split.  And Elton's comment still doesn't apply.  He's implying that there are some racist cogs spinning in the background at FOX, when that really isn't true, no matter how "conservative" the network may be.  Consider past results, is all.
i don't see any implications of that in the article posted. from what i understood, elton was saying the same thing as u: that the public is voting racially. that's where "incidentally" was redundant, cos u were just repeating what elton was saying.

i don't see where FOX is blamed for this, they aren't the ones voting.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

I'm not sure how John Stevens got this far in the show.  His voice is totally bland.  It was painful to watch him trying to dance last night.

cine

That's what you get for trying to ride the Conan Wave.

NEON MERCURY

i read that one of the finalists favorite movies is .."Sister Act 2: back in the habit"....i hope she wins and can persue her life long dream to sing in the choir w/ whoopie in  "sister act 3: soul habits are hard to break.".....

Weird. Oh

In order for the voting to be considered racist, we would have to assume the voting is done purely on talent, which of course, we know it isn't.  

I actually don't think any of the contestants are anything original. Some of them have very good vocal skills however.  I wish they would consider letting bands or people that play instruments on. I mean Elvis and the Beatles were American Idols.  Anyway, I think the John Stevens chap was at least different than what you hear on radio nowadays.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Pubrick

Quote from: Weirdo1769movieMikeI wish they would consider letting bands or people that play instruments on. I mean Elvis and the Beatles were American Idols.
huh?:

- the beatles weren't american.
- elvis was hardly an instrumentalist
- in fact, elvis is exactly what american idol is all about. why do u think everyone is an elvis impersonator? he was a costume, an image, a freaking facade.
under the paving stones.

El Duderino

^^ yeah, that other white guy did "Jailhouse Rock," well, killed "Jailhouse Rock"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Here's to hoping Diana wins.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks