Author Topic: Best Editing  (Read 6192 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10591
  • Respect: +1138
Best Editing
« on: February 24, 2004, 06:26:47 PM »
0

Best Editing: 21 GRAMS

THE NOMINEES

21 Grams
Hulk
Kill Bill: Volume 1
The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation
"Hunger is the purest sin"

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10747
  • Respect: +685
    • Floating Heads
Best Editing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:15:43 PM »
0
aww, fuck this.  THE HULK?!?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10591
  • Respect: +1138
Best Editing
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:21:01 PM »
0
This is the award I'm most relieved about. The most innavatively edited movie at least since Memento, and it's not nominated for the editing Oscar (and Master and Commander is  :? )...
"Hunger is the purest sin"

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10747
  • Respect: +685
    • Floating Heads
Best Editing
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 04:22:57 PM »
0
i thought the hulks editing was way more innovative than 21 grams, but i guess not everybody felt that way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10591
  • Respect: +1138
Best Editing
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 04:24:13 PM »
0
Quote from: themodernage02
i thought the hulks editing was way more innovative than 21 grams, but i guess not everybody felt that way.

That is a close call, but I would have given Hulk the cinematography award for a compromise.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Chest Rockwell

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1596
  • Respect: 0
Best Editing
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 04:54:05 PM »
0
Ah come on...21 Grams had MUCH better editing.

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10747
  • Respect: +685
    • Floating Heads
Best Editing
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 04:57:23 PM »
0
Quote from: IP Freely
Ah come on...21 Grams had MUCH better editing.

no i dont think so.  actually the editing (like a lot of people) was my biggest complaint about the film.  there didnt seem to be any reason for it, (not that i want to open that can of worms again), but i think the hulk will be looked at as a film that really tried to do something new.  and opened up the boundaries of whats acceptable as a film, what goes too far.  i think it will be a major influence atleast on other comic book movies in the near future and on others farther down the line.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1596
  • Respect: 0
Best Editing
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 05:00:54 PM »
0
Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: IP Freely
Ah come on...21 Grams had MUCH better editing.

no i dont think so.  actually the editing (like a lot of people) was my biggest complaint about the film.  there didnt seem to be any reason for it, (not that i want to open that can of worms again), but i think the hulk will be looked at as a film that really tried to do something new.  and opened up the boundaries of whats acceptable as a film, what goes too far.  i think it will be a major influence atleast on other comic book movies in the near future and on others farther down the line.

Well I disagree. I found nothing particularly special about the Hulk's editing. At least no enough to say it'll be influencing any movies any time soon.

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10747
  • Respect: +685
    • Floating Heads
Best Editing
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 05:07:55 PM »
0
do you remember the movie?  almost every shot had an interesting transition of some sort or multiple panels or a morph between two shots!  its different from any movie i've ever seen!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1596
  • Respect: 0
Best Editing
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 05:18:08 PM »
0
Quote from: themodernage02
do you remember the movie?  almost every shot had an interesting transition of some sort or multiple panels or a morph between two shots!  its different from any movie i've ever seen!

Hrmm...maybe I'll revisit it some time soon.

RegularKarate

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5988
  • Respect: +172
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/regularkarate/
Best Editing
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 06:13:02 PM »
0
yeah... Hulk had better editing.  

putting things out of order doesn't make good editing.

modage

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10747
  • Respect: +685
    • Floating Heads
Best Editing
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 06:14:17 PM »
0
Quote from: RegularKarate
yeah... Hulk had better editing.  
putting things out of order doesn't make good editing.

 :yabbse-thumbup: thank you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BrainSushi

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Respect: 0
Best Editing
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 06:49:09 PM »
0
Quote from: RegularKarate
yeah... Hulk had better editing.  

putting things out of order doesn't make good editing.


Yeah, and for all we know, 21 Grams could have been written just as it appeared on screen, meaning the editor did nothing innovative, just followed the script.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10591
  • Respect: +1138
Best Editing
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »
0
Quote from: RegularKarate
putting things out of order doesn't make good editing.

Yes it does! If it's meaningful.

Quote from: BrainSushi
Yeah, and for all we know, 21 Grams could have been written just as it appeared on screen, meaning the editor did nothing innovative, just followed the script.

If he planned to edit it that way, it's still editing.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

ono

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 4192
  • ...
  • Respect: +163
Best Editing
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 07:24:23 PM »
0
I think it all depends on how it was written, really.  If the screenplay (story) was composed in a rather straightforward manner, then that gives a little more credence to the editing.  It poses questions, and then gives the answers, really taking advantage of the medium of film.  Then again, I haven't seen Hulk yet, but will in the next couple weeks, so I can't compare the two films just yet.  For me, though, the editing is the one main way in which 21 Grams truly excelled.  It got my vote here.

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy