Alias

Started by zerocool41, January 18, 2004, 08:23:34 PM

modage

that makes perfect sense.  we knew they had to be recapping for new viewers, but what i couldnt understand was WHY would they be watching this episode?  superbowl.  gotcha.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

okay, i'm midway through season two (i just watched what must've been the superbowl episode).  lingerie on a plane and recapping obvious events.  also, over the top awesomeness.  thoughts so far...

some spoilers if you've never watched the show or are like 2-3 seasons behind like me...

i thought with all the shit that was going on in the cliffhanger of season one, that two was going to be some crazy complicated awesome.  unfortunately they pretty much wrapped up all that stuff in the first episode and then went about business as usual.  the tension with her partner knowing, will being kidnapped, all that stuff could've been really good stretched out for more drama.  her mom immediately turning herself in?  what was up with that?  i guess i'll find out soon.  it doesnt make any sense, who would believe her?  why did she shoot sidney and then repent like 5 minutes later?  should've been one or the other.  everything with the mom in the hannibal cage got pretty repetitive at first too.  it was nice when the family went on the mission though.  the other thing is the storylines that seem to get dropped.  not cool.  AND, after all this buildup i thought the demise (probably) of SD-6 and sidney and vaughn kissing like that was sort of weak.  not what i had imagined it.  kind of like in garden state when theres like 10 other 'perfect' moments to have a kiss, and then they pick the one moment thats forced.  i dunno, it just didnt seem right even though i wanted it.  so it was also like ep III in how they had all this great stuff they started laying out and then just had to like cram it all in to make all this shit happen to fast!  they didnt even seem to be building towards her telling her partner or like they were close to destroying SD-6. it was *like last episode, sloans gone.  this one, the alliance is done.  now, it seems like that would be the end of the show.  no sd-6, no tension.  (the equivalent of revealing laura palmers murderer).  but, from the twist at the end, i hope the show has enough places to go.  so my first impression (so far) is that i liked season 1 better.  although now, i'm more of a junkie than ever.  I CANT STOP WATCHING.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

i finished season two a last week.  and i think i'm going to have to go against the grain and say that i liked season one a lot better.  it seemed more planned and natural and like you were getting somewhere and being guided by someone who knew what they were doing.  season two was a lot of great ideas, some of which they used pretty well and some of which were not used very well.  a lot of it was rushed and seemed as if it was being made up as they went along.  while i enjoyed all the major twists, they didnt seem to be coming from a natural (inevitable) place, it was just like from out of nowhere.  there were definitely some great episodes (and certainly if judged on their own) but as far as the progression of the overall season 2 storyline, i felt it was weaker than 1 by a longshot.  even the twist at the end of the last episode, while a total TOTAL mindfuck seemed to embody the sort of last minute thinking 'how do we get ourselves out of this hole?' of the whole season.  also characters sometimes seemed to do things that those characters would not have done.  being untrue to the characters really bugs me.  so, i guess i'm pretty disappointed if it all goes downhill from here, especially cause now i'm in for the long haul.  i also watched the first two episodes of season 3 and atleast they seem to be setting up some things to last for the season and not resolving everything right away.  (though it might've been nice to see sydney struggle a little longer to get dad out of jail, his beard was kickin!)  vaughn being married and 'not regretting' it is just so heartbreaking, but there was no way the show could continue with the two of them being happy and together.  i do appreciate the show for trying to change itself several times in order to become essentially a different show, the way all the characters dynamics/positions have changed is really interesting.  but i think maybe i miss some of the subtlety and planning of the earlier stuff.

modage

SPOILERS IF YOU'VE NEVER SEEN SEASON THREE

finished season three.  it was very uneven and disappointing.  though now i'm hooked like crack and even though i hear season 4 is the worst yet i can't wait to see it.  the show has lost focus and become predictable.  if someone seems good they're bad.  there arent enough characters on the show for anything to be believable.  its ALWAYS the same 5 people, its just getting ridiculous.  the cliffhanger from last season was a good mindfuck and if they were truly interested in going somewhere new with the show they could've actually utilized the setup better.  but instead they get back into the alias grind as soon as they can.  they wrap up the what happened to sydney during those 2 years way too soon and too neatly.  the fact that lauren was evil was SO convienent and predictable it was awful.  but i figured ATLEAST they're setting us up all season for another knock-down drag-out bitchfight in the last episode, and it happens but is TOTALLY weak compared to the friggin one last season.  the last episode was a total letdown.  THAT is the cliffhanger?!  some stupid documents that they will find a way to explain in like 2 episodes next season?  in season 1 that would've just been a cliffhanger for a normal episode and now that its a season ender is a testament to how far the show has fallen.  there were some great episodes during this season and good ideas but overall just a goddamn mess.  jj abrams is an absentee landlord and his show is crumbling.  did he even direct any this season?  i was expecting him to atleast deliver a killer finale but he didnt write OR direct it.  they also had will back way too soon, and i wish he wasnt gone cause he was one of the best characters.  and they also had evil francie back way too soon for it to mean anything.  and the sydney/lauren masks in the final episode were MI:2 bad.  oh alias, what happened to you?
Quote from: JJ AbramsSeason Three was a little more kind of up and down in terms of some of the stories and follow-through.  I think we kind of let the story get ahead of us and get away from us. I couldn't answer some fundamental questions about Sydney, which in the Alias universe is a capital crime. It's a huge mistake when you lose your main character, and for me, my main thing is making sure I take care of my stories and my characters. I just feel like I didn't do the best job last year.  I'm very proud of the season, and ultimately there are moments that I love and there are episodes that I think are terrific, but it felt to me like we weren't focusing at the end of the day on the most important thing, which is the characters and how they interact.
i agree with him.  so to those who watched all of season 4, did it get any better?  how did his mandate to 'get back to the characters' get the show further off track?

modage

Title: Alias
Released: 25th October 2005
SRP: $59.99

Further Details
Buena Vista Home Entertainment has kindly sent over final artwork for the fourth season of Alias which stars the rather wonderful Jennifer Garner. The six-disc package will be available to own from the 25th October this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $59.99. Extra material will include A Chat with Jennifer Garner, a Meet Mia Maestro featurette, some deleted scenes, a selection of bloopers and much, much more. We've attached our first look at the official region one package artwork at the link below: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7180&n=1&burl=

MacGuffin

Garner to Become Pregnant Spy on 'Alias'

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -     Jennifer Garner is expecting a baby, so her "Alias" character will be too, even though she's a globe-trotting spy. "We are going to embrace the fact that she's pregnant," ABC programming chief Stephen McPherson said, referring to the character, Sydney Bristow.

But the show will focus on making the situation realistic and not "campy," he said.

"We also don't want to put her in situations where she's endangering herself and the baby," making it difficult for viewers to suspend disbelief, he said.

Garner, 33, and     Ben Affleck, 32, her co-star in the 2003 movie "Daredevil," wed in June. Their baby is due around Christmas, McPherson told the Television Critics Association on Tuesday.

"Alias" returns Sept. 29 for its fifth season in a new Thursday night time slot.

Asked if he thought the show might lose male viewers who eagerly anticipate seeing Garner in action, McPherson replied that "she'll be able to run a fair amount."

But he acknowledged her exploits would change when Garner is visibly pregnant. To protect the show's sex appeal quotient, a younger agent who is being mentored by Sydney will be added, he said.

That role has yet to be cast.

In the series, Sydney is in a relationship with another agent played by     Michael Vartan — who Garner was romantically linked with in real life
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffinGarner, 33, and     Ben Affleck, 32, her co-star in the 2003 movie "Daredevil," wed in June. Their baby is due around Christmas

Let's see... December minus June equals... carry the one.... SEVEN MONTHS!

Ow!  My sensibilities!   :nono:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: polkabluesLet's see... December minus June equals... carry the one.... SEVEN MONTHS!
december = 12th month
june = 6th month

12 - 6 = 6

Quote from: polkabluesOw!  My sensibilities mathematical abilities!   :nono:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Bouchez picks up new 'Alias'

Elodie Bouchez is joining the cast of ABC's spy drama "Alias" as a series regular. In the upcoming season of "Alias," Bouchez will play Zoe Rienne, an internationally wanted criminal who, unbeknownst to Sydney (Jennifer Garner), has been secretly working with Vaughn (Michael Vartan) for several years. The fifth season of the Touchstone Television series premieres at 8 p.m. Sept. 29.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

If things stay on this season opener path, the show should regain it's balance after jumping the shark in season 4. There are no needless sister characters, Eric is back as just a worker, and the show was full of action and intrigue.

Of course, with the series, there have always been some situations that require suspension of disbelief, but really...  Vaughn was riddled with bullets. He should not have been alive to make it to the hospital, let alone carry on a baby name conversation. If the writers can work out stretches like that, some of the better seasons' magic will come back, although I have a feeling this will be it's last season. It looks like most of the producers and crew jumped ship to Lost, and how dumb is ABC to put this up against Survivor?

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: polkabluesLet's see... December minus June equals... carry the one.... SEVEN MONTHS!
december = 12th month
june = 6th month

12 - 6 = 6

That would be all well and good if you weren't counting both June and December, which would just be silly.

Damn Australians... questioning my math....

As for "Alias", last season just about did me in.  I watched the first few episodes before realizing I just didn't care anymore and quickly abandoned it for one of the other twelve good shows that are on at that time period.  I figure if I hear enough good things about this season, I'll eventually catch up on DVD.  Or just watch more "Lost", which is apparently where JJ Abrams is now channeling all his good ideas.

Although, Elodie Bouchez.......

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: Pubrick
december = 12th month
june = 6th month

12 - 6 = 6

That would be all well and good if you weren't counting both June and December, which would just be silly.

Damn Australians... questioning my math....
haha, dude, u can only count either june or december, not both. when u count a whole month u land on the following month.

let's say they married mid june, from mid-june to mid-july is one month
mid-july to mid-august is two months
mid-august to mid-september is three months
mid-september to mid-october is four months
mid-october to mid-november is five months
mid-november to mid-december is six months.

that's when she'll hav the kid, in december. even if u start counting on the very first day of june, it doesn't take 7 months to land in december. six would land on early-december and then one more month would put u in January of next year.

ur forgetting, while i may live in australia i'm actually descendant of mayan blood, we KNOW our calendars!
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Fuck it.  Like Barbie says, "Math is hard."  I officially change my answer to the more accurate "between six and seven months."  None of which will assuage John Ashcroft's sense of moral outrage when he hears of this.

MacGuffin

Mum's the Word on "Alias"

When ABC announced it was moving Alias to Thursdays, it looked like curtains for Sydney Bristow. One month into the season, it looks like curtains for Sydney Bristow.

As the anchor of ABC's notoriously must-not-see night, the five-season-old spy adventure sank to 70th place (7.2 million) for the TV week ended Sunday, per Nielsen Media Research.

Even worse, in its first half-hour, the show ran behind NBC's world-famous Joey (68th place, 7.4 million) among coveted 18-to-49-year-old viewers.

And in the most ominous sign yet--if press releases can be considered signs--Alias was programa non grata in ABC's weekly ratings recap released Tuesday.

The network that found something nice to say about Supernanny (71st place, 7 million) couldn't bring itself to spin mother-to-be Sydney. In this instance, silence most likely is deadly.

Other ABC shows rating unmentionable status: Alias' Thursday partners in obscurity, Night Stalker (83rd place, 5.1 million) and Primetime (86th place, 4.5 million), not to mention every Friday series, save for the vaunted Supernanny. The formerly sturdy According to Jim (60th place, 7.8 million) was only noted in passing, as in "Rodney [57th place, 8 million] built on its According to Jim lead-in."

So far, ABC has yet to cancel or renew any series. But when Commander in Chief (ninth place, 16.2 million) gets three paragraphs' worth of glowing press-release ink, Freddie (45th place, 9.4 million) gets two, and Alias gets none, SD-6 intelligence is not required to determine which shows are bound for glory.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

It's a shame the show got buried and has lost it's viewers because this season is turning out to be really, really good.

Skeleton FilmWorks