Alias

Started by zerocool41, January 18, 2004, 08:23:34 PM

zerocool41

I'm a huge fan of this show and the DVDs...After the death of Family Guy i've been very concerned with all my favorite shows being cancelled.  

Anyone a big fan of this show?

Anyone heard if it's going strong for a 4th season, or will it be cancelled in it's prime?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

NEON MERCURY

..is whats her name in this?.......

Weak2ndAct

I love Alias!  It's easily one of the best shows on TV.  Part of the reason I got so into it was being able to get those dvds and catch up (and I suspect the sales help keep the show afloat too).  Ratings wise, it doesn't do gangbuster numbers, but well enough that I suspect it will probably make it through season 5 to get enough eps. in the can for syndication.

Henry Hill

jennifer garner has signed thru 2008 i believe. that is if the show goes that long. this is one of my favorite shows ever. i haven't missed an episode. when the pilot came on it looked like a cool LA FEMME NIKITA type show, of course about the only comparison is that she is a girl that kicks ass.  i figured it could be a hit or miss. i am glad it was a hit. its like a mini-movie every week. unfortunately for people getting into it late you pretty much need to have watched it from the start to really understand it. a lot of times at the end of every episode i get chills, because it's always something so shocking. sure j.j. abrams created FELICITY, and i had my doubts, but i took a chance. and the guest stars are crazy. to name a few...quentin tarantino (who had a two episode stint as a villain), ethan hawke, david cronenberg, just recently isabella roselinni. lena olin was on last season, but there were contract disbutes or something. anyways, it's a phenomenal show.

MacGuffin

Source: DVD Answers

Buena Vista Home Entertainment have sent over the final details on season three of Alias which stars Jennifer Garner. As we have already reported, this six disc package will be available to own from the 7th September and should set you back somewhere in the region of $69.99. Each of the included twenty-two episodes will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras will include a Burbank to Barcelona production design featurette, deleted scenes, a blooper reel, an inside look at the gadget lab where you can see Marshall Finkman's gadgets go from script to screen, audio commentaries (including one with the Biggest Alias fan who will be chosen in a national promotion) a script scanner and the Alias Diaries where you can meet the unsung craftsmen and technicians who bring the show to life.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Henry Hill

On the last episode weeks ago I knew I heard his voice. The character was in the dark with his back to the camera.... and so it was..... Quentin Tarantino  back on Alias. So cool.  8)

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

jennifer garner is pretty

MacGuffin

E! Online reports that Lena Olin may be returning to "Alias". Lena is close to signing a deal to reprise her role as Sydney's mother, Irina, for at least one episode this season as part of a big reveal involving that whole crazy Sloane affair, which could include another player.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Henry Hill

thanks for the updates mac. cool and cool.  8)  glad someone is showing Alias some love.

Henry Hill

i cant believe it. ABC should be ashamed. i was watching Alias back from last sunday. on the previews for this sundays episode they said "and oscar winner djimon hounsou returns." OSCAR WINNER! what the fuck. that is like the biggest screw up ever. i couldnt believe. i had to rewind it a hundred times.  :shock:

matt35mm

Haha I rewound it a few times, too!  I was a little... miffed by it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: filmboy70i cant believe it. ABC should be ashamed. i was watching Alias back from last sunday. on the previews for this sundays episode they said "and oscar winner djimon hounsou returns." OSCAR WINNER! what the fuck. that is like the biggest screw up ever. i couldnt believe. i had to rewind it a hundred times.  :shock:

From the current Entertainment Weekly:

Promos for the March 28 Alias, which airs on Disney-owned ABC, touted a guest spot by "Oscar winner" Djimon Hounsou. Didn't they catch their own broadcast, on which Hounsou lost to Tim Robbins? ABC acknowledges "human error."

Skeleton FilmWorks

molly

i'm mad at Alias because it's on TV in time when CSI, a way better show, should be.

MacGuffin

FEATURE - Sydney Bristow's DVD Mission
Atop a trendy Los Angeles hotel, actress Jennifer Garner and Alias creator J.J. Abrams decode the effects of a TV viewing phenomena known as ‘time shifting.’ By Larry Carroll, FilmStew.com

Handcuffs, high-rises, stiff drinks and secret identities were the themes behind a recent rollout party for Season Three of the hugely successful Alias DVD collection. Held in downtown Los Angeles on the roof of the swank hotel The Standard, stars from the show mingled with members of the press to discuss this month’s most eagerly-awaited home entertainment release not containing a droid, hutt, or sarlacc pit.

“It’s crazy, isn’t it?” remarked series star Jennifer Garner from the red carpet as she looked back on three years as CIA Special Agent Sydney Bristow. “I can’t tell you how many people say, ‘Oh, I’m in the middle of Season One,’ and I have to back my head up because they say, ‘What’s going on with this?’ or, ‘How do you like this?”

The star laughs, amazed by the burgeoning TV watching phenomena known as ‘time shifting,’ wherein people wait to cycle through an entire season of episodes on DVD, and the fact that there’s a whole segment of Alias watchers out there who’ve never actually watched an episode on the air. “They’re like two seasons behind! I’m like, ‘Do I break [the surprises] to them, or do I let them wait?”

Indeed, Alias is one of those TV shows that Hollywood is still trying to fully understand; like The Family Guy and Freaks and Geeks, the show’s home-entertainment success far outweighs the cumulative eyes that the program has captured while being broadcast on network television. That explains Buena Vista Home Entertainment’s willingness to throw a lavish premiere for a DVD-boxed set. Unlike those other shows, however, Garner and friends didn’t have to wait until they were cancelled to start expanding to a new medium.

According to Carl Lumbly, who plays Sydney’s loyal friend Marcus Dixon on the show, the adrenaline-rush ethic of Alias makes it perfect for DVD enthusiasts. “There’s an issue with our show because it’s very complex, and DVD offers people an opportunity not only to see it consecutively, but also to slow it down,” he says, giving props to the fans. “I know I watch the DVD for that reason, to see where we have been, and what exactly was that particular thing that I did in that show that I can now reference as we enter our fourth season.”

“So it kind of holds it a little steadier, and lets people take their own time to move through it,” Dixon continues. “And I think that there are certain people who appreciate the speed of it and the sort of ballistic nature of the way our scenes sort of swing themselves, and some people are not as comfortable with that, and it’s a little unusual. Most television shows, they will wait for you, and Alias from day one has said, ‘look, we’re going, get a ticket, grab hold and hang on.’”

The same advice could be given to those who attended the Alias Season Three bash. The customary velvet rope was replaced by linked handcuffs; each table upstairs had a small pile of keys. After riding up the neon-lit elevator to the roof, attendees were greeted by waiters in black clothes and sunglasses, offering liquor concoctions squeezed from a syringe into a shot glass.

After Garner, series creator J.J. Abrams and others thanked the crowd for attending, the disc’s bonus features were projected across the street onto the side of a neighboring skyscraper. Watching the cartoon rendering of Sydney Bristow kicking butt was nearly as entertaining, it turned out, as the expression on the face of the gentleman working out alone in the gym just under the beamed image, as he looked up to find hundreds of revelers watching him sweat on the Stairmaster.

The surprise of that moment ranked only slightly higher than Abrams’ own admittance that Season Three is the weakest of his Alias work. “Season Three was a little more kind of up and down in terms of some of the stories and follow-through,” he says. “I think we kind of let the story get ahead of us and get away from us. I couldn’t answer some fundamental questions about Sydney, which in the Alias universe is a capital crime. It’s a huge mistake when you lose your main character, and for me, my main thing is making sure I take care of my stories and my characters.”

Abrams still thinks there are some great things to be found in Season Three, however, and insists that he’s getting backing on track for Season Four, which is currently in production and will start airing in January. “I just feel like I didn’t do the best job last year,” he admits. “I’m very proud of the season, and ultimately there are moments that I love and there are episodes that I think are terrific, but it felt to me like we weren’t focusing at the end of the day on the most important thing, which is the characters and how they interact.”

“So for me, the mandate [with Season Four] was ‘character first,’ and I wanted to go back to the stuff that I loved about the show, seeing the way different characters interact, sort of using them in the way I felt they functioned best,” he continues. “This upcoming year feels like we’ve slipped back into that, it almost feels like we’re back at season one, but with all of the wisdom you gain after doing three years of the show.”

Garner agrees that fans should grab Season Three now that it’s in stores and brush up on the adventures of Sydney Bristow, because January is going to bring the show back to where it belongs. “We’re definitely going back to the feeling of Season One,” she says, “not just the story structure, but there’s a casualness in the relationships, like between me and Dixon, that I haven’t seen since the pilot at the beginning of season one. Sidney’s going to be a little happier this year. She’s not as lonely. I love, love, love that relationship so much, and the character is just really fun to play.”

Much like the “Alias” DVDs themselves.

Skeleton FilmWorks