The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: w a l r u s on November 08, 2005, 11:20:48 PM
Now there's an idea!

Though, to be honest, I think 20's-50's might be tricky... for me, at least. I know I've seen movies in that time frame, but it won't be as easy as something like the 80's, 90's or 00's.

Everyone will have the same problem. People can nominate as many as they are comfortable nominating. Not the required 10. Its just the diversity of selections still likely should be enough for a final vote.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 08, 2005, 11:23:41 PM
Quote from: w a l r u s on November 08, 2005, 11:20:48 PM
Now there's an idea!

Though, to be honest, I think 20's-50's might be tricky... for me, at least. I know I've seen movies in that time frame, but it won't be as easy as something like the 80's, 90's or 00's.

Everyone will have the same problem. People can nominate as many as they are comfortable nominating. Not the required 10. Its just the diversity of selections still likely should be enough for a final vote.

Well, I say we start with the present and work backwards.  That would make 90s > 60s fairly easy for everyone.  After that we can begin working on the more difficult decades of <50s.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYea, I kinda worry we would just have the same list as before, too. OK, Shaftr's idea fully endorsed.
wow, that fast? just because we're worrying the list is going to be the same? isnt it a nice experiment to see HOW the list changes? personally, my own list would be entirely different. i think we've all grown each year as movie lovers and our lists would likely reflect that now.

its been 2 years, folks. you guys really think it would remain the same?

Pubrick

yeah what cine said.

this idea only works or has any relevance if it's another Dekapenticon, not some random decades list. that would be completely meaningless. the point is to compare the ultimate list with the old one. otherwise it's just another pointless list of decades with no relation to what we established originally.

i would support a dekapenticon.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pubrick on November 09, 2005, 12:40:26 AM

i would support a dekapenticon.

as would I, but at the same time i'm not opposed to a different list.

MODIFY:  also, the 2004 list doesn't show up anymore since the image files are dead, can someone post the 2004 results?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

don't be fooled by the name, we still have an edit button..
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: w a l r u $ on January 07, 2004, 03:20:02 PM
1.magnolia - magnificent, and you'd be a fool to think this wouldn't be number one.

2.  2001 - sounds right

3. pulp fiction - people keep saying it's too high on the list, and how could that be?  If so many people had it on their lists, it ended up here, it obviously deserves its number

4.  taxi driver - same as pulp fiction

5. citizen kane - definitely a moving film that had to be on the list somewhere

6.  8 1/2 - still haven't seen it...

7.  my life to live - still haven't seen in it...

8.  mulholland drive - a masterpiece like this deserved to be on it somewhere

9.  vertigo - same as mulholland drive

10  seven samurai - didn't like it the first time i saw it, guess i'll see it again

11  punch drunk love - same as pulp fiction

12  dr.  strangelove - definitely needed to have some comedies in the top 15, because we could always use some laughing

13  400 blows - still haven't seen it

14 fight club - same as pulp fiction.  i'm getting pretty sick of all the fight club bashing, fact is: it was well made, had a great story, and touches face on a lot of things so very true.  I think I'm defending Palahniuk more than Fincher here, though...

15 a clockwork orange - i didn't see it immediately didn't see it in the top 10 and was surprised.  scrolled down some and boom, there it was and put a smile on my face.   good work to those who made the banners.

-----------------------

As for doing this yearly, I doubt it would be a good idea UNLESS you said pick the top 15, aside from the 15 listed above.  Because I'm more than sure the list will change, but not much.  Classics are classics.

Walrus and Neon did courteous responces.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: w a l r u $ on January 07, 2004, 03:20:02 PM

6.  8 1/2 - still haven't seen it...

7.  my life to live - still haven't seen in it...

10  seven samurai - didn't like it the first time i saw it, guess i'll see it again

13  400 blows - still haven't seen it

Man, yesterday's Walrus was a loser.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Quote from: DEKAPENTICON
1.magnolia
2.  2001
3. pulp fiction
4.  taxi driver
5. citizen kane
6.  8 1/2
7.  my life to live
8.  mulholland drive
9.  vertigo
10  seven samurai
11  punch drunk love
12  dr.  strangelove
13  400 blows
14 fight club
15 a clockwork orange

I bolded those who I think would surely stay on a 2010-2011 list and italics for doubtfuls... nothing for absolutely sure they are out..........

That list wasn't so much representative of the board when we think about it? Or maybe it was back then...

Stefen

We should do one of these again and set a summer deadline. Maybe we could have some required viewing. It could help create discussion.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

I think so too, and the required viewing idea is good.

I think a new one would be much more interesting... this one is weird, I don't like it so much... Citizen Kane and 8½ number 5-6? Really? I mean are we the fucking AFI?

I also think in a new one, there would be a shitload more titles named. Like infinite ties at 1-2 votes. This would mean if you want to push your original choice in the top, you better get it seen! that'd be pretty cool... I'd sure campaign the shiiiitt out of Come And See

Stefen

At the time of this list we were all big giant dorks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Now that I'm almost finished with film school, I can say that my entire list would change.  I'm positive that there would be an incredible facelift to the list, and I can only hope that Magnolia wouldn't win again, but stranger things have happened.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Magnolia wouldn't win. But CMBB would. PDL and Fight Club wouldn't be on the list, for sure. Actually, everything on that list might not be on it. Most of those choices are far too predictable and pedestrian for us snobs.