Author Topic: on Mew.  (Read 1497 times)

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • deeply superficial
  • Respect: +9
on Mew.
« on: December 26, 2003, 01:26:52 PM »
ok, i'm tired of the absence of a Mew thread.  not tired but   unpatient.

has anyone (besides Sigur Rós) seen the '156' video?

i found it to be a strangely beautiful video....     i feel Mew is THE REAL TRIBUTE BAND for all things 80s... so the video feels  like A-ha's ...  weird.  

the cool thing about Mew (in a good, good way)  is that you don't really know what the band is aiming to.  they are doing weird funny artsy things...
maybe it's the Danish way.
context, context, context.

Sigur Rós

• The H.W. of Xixax...
  • Respect: +7
Re: on Mew.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 01:28:48 PM »
Quote from: chuckhimselfo

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1864

• deeply superficial
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 01:53:50 PM »
Quote from: Sigur Rós

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1864

YEAH, BUT THAT'S TOTALLY WAY OFF THE SUBJECT!
context, context, context.

Sigur Rós

• The H.W. of Xixax...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 01:58:09 PM »
YEAH, BUT THAT'S TOTALLY WAY OFF THE SUBJECT!

:cry:

So is my avatar

mogwai

on Mew.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 02:46:02 PM »
i saw the video to "she came home for christmas" last night. very food.

Sigur Rós

• The H.W. of Xixax...
on Mew.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 03:44:55 PM »
Quote from: mogwai
i saw the video to "she came home for christmas" last night. very food.

hehe, I saw it too. On Swedish television.  :shock:

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1097
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 07:30:51 PM »
Mew has two songs from their forthcoming album up on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mew-official

They're lovely songs. But it's kind of like they've regressed back to 2006's "And the Glass Handed Kites"... which is good, but not good enough.

But, considering "No More Stories" is probably my favorite album, I have unreasonably high expectations.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

MOGWAI

• Respect: +67
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »
Stand out tracks on the new album to me is: "Water Slides", "Interview the girls" and "Rows". The new album sounds like a return to the first two albums. Possibly because the bass player who left after the second album came back.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1097
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
I saw Mew last night!

In a very, very small venue. The whole thing was so bizarre. Their sound gets very big, and the acoustics couldn't quite accommodate it at times. They clearly belong in a stadium or at least a larger space.

Nevertheless, they were elated at the turnout. Apparently they played this venue on their last tour and it did not sell out. "You must have told your friends!" Jonas said. The band was so excited and committed. They were also completely humble when they had no right to be. Definitely the classiest band I've ever seen perform.

At one point, Jonas stepped down into the audience, put his arm around a fan (gave him a side hug, really) and let him sing the chorus of The Zookeeper's Boy. Meanwhile Jonas was all smiles. He was like this magical serene creature on stage. A funny contrast to Johan, who was rocking out the whole time. A truly strange dynamic, but they totally make it work.

Absolutely flawless vocal performance from top to bottom, by the way, which I did not expect. (There's something about cell phone concert videos that does not capture the pitch accurately.) The band was also perfect. Studio-caliber performances, but better, because of the heart and energy they poured into it. They're real pros.

They played many of my favorites. Introducing Palace Players, Making Friends, and Special/Zookeeper were definite highlights. However, they chose two of the weakest tracks from their new album. And their setlist was at least 1/3 early material. Judging by audience reaction, it seems like they need to please people with the old favorites. I'm a new school Mew fan, so I was hoping for a lot more from No More Stories. (Really I'd just like to see them perform that album.) Still, there were great performances of some of their best early songs, including Am I Wry? No and Snow Brigade. And this has inspired me to seriously revisit their early stuff. They ended with Comforting Sounds (a solid choice), then took a bow.

I recommend these btw. I took them out during the 2 or 3 quiet songs; otherwise they actually improved the sound clarity. You can sort of take them further in/out like turning an equalizer knob.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy