24!

Started by Gamblour., December 22, 2003, 11:01:32 PM

Ravi

MILD SPOILERS

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 15, 2007, 01:13:18 AM
I liked that the Chinese jail 'broke' him, but that seemed pushed to the back burner in "minutes" and not fleshed out.

I liked that too.  Its more interesting than a Super-Jack who can do anything at anytime.  I think this vulnerability will soon be abandoned, and Jack will be back to his usual invincible self  :yabbse-angry:

When Peter MacNicol shows up you know he's going to be an asshole.

grand theft sparrow

GREAT BIG MONDAY NIGHT SPOILERS

Each season gets further and further away from the tone of the first season; it's almost a full-on parody of itself at this point.  But my distaste melted away when Jack bit out that guy's jugular to escape.  If you're not watching 24 to see Jack Bauer kick some ass, why are you watching? 

I like that this season is in a world even closer to the brink than our own.  And I love that the guy from Syriana is on the show.  But I feel like they rushed through that plot twist about his character.  Along with what Mac had said about all the characters, it just seems like they plan to do everything but the kitchen sink this season.  So much has happened in the first 4 hours that I'm afraid they shot their load too soon and the rest of the season could be peppered with lulls.  Last season, I was one episode away from not watching anymore, and then something big happened and kept me hooked but there were 3 or 4 episodes in there that were shitty, as I recall.

And Jack killing Black Tony is almost as unforgivable (on the writers' part) as Black Tony breaking protocol and jeopardizing national security to kill Assad.  But with all this "I can't do this anymore" shit that Jack has been giving us, you'd think that they'd give us at least one hour for Jack to quit before he sees the nuke and snaps out of it.  That 35 seconds where he was ready to quit just wasn't worth it.

And thank god they got rid of Kumar.  I was really hoping he would turn out to be the one South Asian/Middle Eastern actor in Hollywood to not play a terrorist.   :doh:

MacGuffin

Quote from: jacksparrow on January 16, 2007, 01:55:34 PM
GREAT BIG MONDAY NIGHT SPOILERS
And Jack killing Black Tony is almost as unforgivable (on the writers' part) as Black Tony breaking protocol and jeopardizing national security to kill Assad.  But with all this "I can't do this anymore" shit that Jack has been giving us, you'd think that they'd give us at least one hour for Jack to quit before he sees the nuke and snaps out of it.  That 35 seconds where he was ready to quit just wasn't worth it.

*SPOILERS CONT'D*

I didn't think he killed him. Looked like Jack just wounded him in the shoulder. Besides, killing off Curtis would lose out on any tension between the two of them now. That would be so much better to watch than two guys in a pissing contest over *ugh* Chloe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

All I know is, at the end of the episode I actually said, out loud, the words "Holy fuck."

Now I want to see the kid from "Lords of Dogtown" go all rogue agent and single-handedly avenge his father.
My house, my rules, my coffee

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 16, 2007, 05:06:12 PM
*SPOILERS CONT'D*
I didn't think he killed him. Looked like Jack just wounded him in the shoulder.

*SPOILERS CONT'D*

I only wish that were true...

From the official Fox episode guide for last night's 24:

9:53 A.M.
Jack finds Curtis outside with his gun held up to Assad's forehead. Jack tells him to put down his weapon by order of the President. Curtis refuses. Jack says that he gave Assad his word that he would protect him. As Curtis keeps his gun trained, Jack begs him to stop. "I can't let this animal live," Curtis says. Jack shoots Curtis in the neck and the TAC members shuffle Assad to safety.

9:55 A.M.
Jack drops his gun and raises his hands in a gesture not of surrender but of despair at Curtis's death. Jack walks away in tears. He vomits and falls to the ground.

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 16, 2007, 05:06:12 PM
That would be so much better to watch than two guys in a pissing contest over *ugh* Chloe.

Your hatred of Chloe, Mac... is it more or less intense than your Ana-Lucia hatred?

MacGuffin

Quote from: jacksparrow on January 16, 2007, 05:39:46 PMYour hatred of Chloe, Mac... is it more or less intense than your Ana-Lucia hatred?

More. The difference is, I think Michelle Rodriguez is a very one-note "actress," but it in a way it worked out for that character because the show used it their advantage. Where as Chloe is just a one-dimensional character, and it's all short-temper and sarcasm. For example:

Ted: Hi, I'm Ted from the third floor downstairs --
Chloe (sarcastically): Yeah, I know where the third floor is.

Michelle: Chloe, I need you to open up this file --
Chloe (sarcastically): Yeah, what do you think I'm doing now?

I can't stand that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ProgWRX

Tech question : anyone know what they shoot 24 with nowadays? IIRC they switch to HD video a few seasons ago right ? According to IMDB its all 35mm Panavision but that info is probably outdated, as the show's newer seasons look quite different than the first season does on DVD.

:ponder:
-Carlos

picolas

i heard on an imdb board that season 1 was film and all the rest have been digital.

Mikey B

Quote from: picolas on January 17, 2007, 03:54:52 PM
i heard on an imdb board that season 1 was film and all the rest have been digital.
*Spoils*
You are correct Picolas. I've been an avid watcher of this show and I love it to death. I couldn't believe the ending and couldn't believe Curtis. It's understandable what Jack had to do. I just hope that they can keep up with the intensity.
I Stole SiliasRuby's DVD Collection

ProgWRX

I thought so too, but the weird thing is that the Season 5 dvd has a "camera" featurette and they seem to be using Panavision still...
(edit : they are definately shooting film, Rodney Charters just said so on the same featurette)

is the difference in look (from the first season) just in the post production for HDTV broadcast then?

-Carlos

Mikey B

Quote from: ProgWRX on January 19, 2007, 08:04:35 AM
is the difference in look (from the first season) just in the post production for HDTV broadcast then?

Probably.
I Stole SiliasRuby's DVD Collection

Kal

Muslims protest '24'

CLIFTON, New Jersey (AP) -- Two years ago, Muslim groups protested when the plot of the hit Fox drama "24" cast Islamic terrorists as the villains who launched a stolen nuclear missile in an attack on America.

Now, after a one-year respite during which Russian separatists played the bad guys on the critically acclaimed series, Muslims are back in the evil spotlight. Unlike last time, when agent Jack Bauer saved the day, the terrorists this time have already succeeded in detonating a nuclear bomb in a Los Angeles suburb.

Being portrayed again as the heartless wrongdoers has drawn renewed protests from Muslim groups, including one that had a meeting with Fox executives two years ago over the issue. (Watch why "24" is worrying Muslims)

"The overwhelming impression you get is fear and hatred for Muslims," said Rabiah Ahmed, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations. She said Thursday she was distressed by this season's premiere. "After watching that show, I was afraid to go to the grocery store because I wasn't sure the person next to me would be able to differentiate between fiction and reality."

She said the group had a conference call Wednesday with Fox executives to protest the current plot line and request more positive portrayals of Muslims on the show, but was not promised anything.

After a January 2005 meeting with CAIR, Fox aired a commercial in which the show's star, Kiefer Sutherland, urged viewers to keep in mind that the show's villains are not representative of all Muslims.

In a written statement issued late Wednesday night, the network said it has not singled out any ethnic or religious group for blame in creating its characters.

"24 is a heightened drama about anti-terrorism," the statement read. "After five seasons, the audience clearly understands this, and realizes that any individual, family, or group (ethnic or otherwise) that engages in violence is not meant to be typical.

"Over the past several seasons, the villains have included shadowy Anglo businessmen, Baltic Europeans, Germans, Russians, Islamic fundamentalists, and even the (Anglo-American) president of the United States," the network said. "The show has made a concerted effort to show ethnic, religious and political groups as multidimensional, and political issues are debated from multiple viewpoints."

The current season began with Muslim terrorists waging an 11-week campaign of suicide bombings across America, culminating in the detonation of a suitcase-sized nuclear bomb in Valencia, California, about 26 miles north of Los Angeles. Estimated death toll: 12,000.

Watching the show's characters talk about detonating a nuclear weapon a few blocks from where she works unnerved Sireen Sawaf, an official with the Los Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council, and a self-described "huge '24' fan."

"It's a great show, and I do realize it's a multidimensional show that portrays extreme situations," she said. "They have gone out of their way to have non-Muslim terror cells.

"But I'm concerned about the image it ingrains in the minds of the American public and the American government, particularly when you have anti-Muslim statements spewing from the mouths of government officials."

Sohail Mohammed, a New Jersey immigration lawyer who represented scores of detainees caught up in the post September 11, 2001, dragnet, watched the episode depicting the nuclear attack with an Associated Press reporter.

"I was shocked," he said. "Somewhere, some lunatic out there watching this will do something to an innocent American Muslim because he believes what he saw on TV."

Engy Abdelkader, a member of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee from Howell, New Jersey, launched a campaign Wednesday to encourage Muslims offended by the program to complain to Fox.

"I found the portrayal of American Muslims to be pretty horrendous," she said. "It was denigrating from beginning to end. This is one of the most popular programs on television today. It's pretty distressing."

Concerns about Muslims' civil rights, detention of terror suspects in Guantanamo-like holding centers, and stereotyping are given vastly expanded treatment on "24" this year. In one exchange, the show depicts the president's national security adviser challenging the White House chief of staff over the detention of Muslims without criminal charges.

"Right now the American Muslim community is our greatest asset," the security adviser says. "They have provided law enforcement with hundreds of tips, and not a single member of that community has been implicated in these attacks."

"So far," the chief of staff responds.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

bonanzataz

spoilers, i guess...

yeah, i'm really confused with the politics of this season. two times, it looked as though they were taking a pretty strong stance in saying stereotyping muslims is wrong. once where kumar's (ahmed, whatever) father is being arrested. they made it out to be that they were just a normal suburban family and were being targeted for their religion and it was shown as something that was fucked up. the writers were sending a direct message that this kind of treatment is wrong. until it is revealed that kumar IS actually a terrorist (at least the third time the writers have used the "terrorists from suburbia" plotline). then the people watching the show are like, "ooooh, i guess it is wrong, but we're living in fucked up times and you never know who might be a terrorist!"
then they did it again when sandra palmer is all pissed off that the fbi wants to look at the files of her boyfriends pro-muslim group. they take him to that imprisonment center without a warrant and sandra is rightly pissed off b/c that's just not right. but then, when the guy is imprisoned, he actually DOES come across terrorists and learns information that would not have been learned had these camps not existed.

the writers of the show are trying to have it both ways, but really all they're saying is that giving up our constitutional rights is a necessary evil. yeah, the sympathetic characters are all against this, but at the same time, all the action in the show is telling the audience that the government impositions are integral to fighting terrorism.

of course, none of this is new. the whole satellite surveillance thing really rubbed me the wrong way when i started watching

either way, it's very entertaining, i've just always had a problem with the show's politics.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

Quote from: bonanzataz on January 20, 2007, 02:30:52 AM
either way, it's very entertaining, i've just always had a problem with the show's politics.

The show's politics could ONLY work in a TV show.  For an hour each week its fun to pretend that this arch-conservative stuff could actually work.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi on January 20, 2007, 11:25:57 AM
For an hour each week its fun to pretend that...

...you can get to anywhere in LA in 15 minutes without any traffic.

Skeleton FilmWorks