..The everything MTV thread....

Started by NEON MERCURY, December 01, 2003, 11:45:27 PM

Kal

That is just sick... what network would have to show something like that? Penitentiary Channel

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Tommy Hilfiger looks like Peter North

The fact that I thought about that and agreed with it makes me feel lonlier.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Clever Kutcher: 'Punk'd' IS returning[/size]

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Curse you, Ashton Kutcher, for your lying, cheating, punk-ing ways!

On Thursday -- which just so happened to be April Fools Day -- MTV announced that Kutcher and his celebrity prank show "Punk'd" will return to the network with a new season. In December, Kutcher swore the program was finished.

"This is not an April Fools joke," MTV spokeswoman Vanessa Reyes said.

But, but ... what about a few months ago, when Kutcher promised the world he was all punk'd out? Was he just tricking everybody?

"Yes, he was," Reyes said.

When Kutcher announced an end to the series after two seasons in December, The Associated Press pointed out the possibility that the announcement was a trick aimed at duping new celebrity prank victims into complacency.

At the time, a page on MTV's Web site announced the end of season two with this message: "But don't worry, the new season starts in March."

Turns out it actually starts in April, but in this tangle of lies, who's counting?

Here's what Kutcher told The Associated Press in January:

"I've become the boy who cried wolf," he acknowledged, offering some assurance that his decision to end the show after two seasons isn't just another hoax.

"Let's put it this way," he said. "I'm getting ready to start shooting two movies, I'm still working on 'That '70s Show,' I'm producing two other shows for MTV and creating a one-hour drama pilot for Fox ... I don't have the time."

Liar.

Anyway, "Punk'd" returns to MTV on Sunday, April 25.

Unless Kutcher gets eaten by a wolf in the meantime.

©brad

Quote from: Chicken ParmesanUnless Kutcher gets eaten by a wolf in the meantime.

if we were only that lucky.

mogwai

Ashton Kutcher As Tommy Lee In 'The Dirt' Movie?

According to the latest Popbitch.com newsletter, Ashton Kutcher ("That '70s Show", "The Butterfly Effect") has been approached to play Tommy Lee in the movie adaptation of Mötley Crüe's best-selling band autobiography, "The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band". Mötley Crüe bassist Nikki Sixx had previously stated that his early favorite to play him in the movie was "Jackass" star Johnny Knoxville.

Mötley Crüe, who are expected to embark on a farewell tour in 2005 to coincide with the film's release, signed a deal in 2002 with Paramount Pictures and MTV Films to turn "The Dirt" into a Hollywood movie. Rich Wilkes ("XXX") was subsequently tapped to write the script. A director for the project has yet to be announced.

NEON MERCURY

now i know that i am sort of old i guess ..but i try to keep fresh and on the hip side...by checking out new bands from you guys or my own intuition...films and other stuff.but today i tried to watch the andy milanokis? show and its fucking stupid....i actaully think in a way its offensive....is this kid really retarded?  b/c no one would find this amusing unless your brain is sloshy or missign a frontal lobe...i didnt know if mtv started auditioning kids off the short bus by luring them w/ grape juice and ghram crackers....then givign them a tv show......or is it me?

i grew up w/ mtv and i think this is the worst hing ever...

Stefen

I haven't seen it. I don't watch MTV. I don't even watch TV. I don't even know what im doing here.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi grew up w/ mtv and i think this is the worst hing ever...

Clearly you've blocked out Jesse Camp.

MacGuffin

MTV drops 'Music Television' from the network logo

Is it a surprise to anyone actually watching MTV that the network on Monday quietly dropped "Music Television" from its logo? Probably not. It's a wonder that anyone even noticed the difference.

But a difference there is. For the first time in the network's 29-year history, MTV has decided to give the channel's iconic logo a face-lift.

"The people who watch it today, they don't refer to MTV as music television. They don't have the same emotional connection that, say, the people who are writing about [the logo change] do," MTV's head of marketing Tina Exarhos said. Indeed, The Wrap called it "a minor change with major symbolism," while The Hollywood Reporter wrote having "music television" in the old logo was "a constant reminder that MTV was branding itself one way, programming itself another."

Outside of its annual "VMAs" music video award show, and with the cancellation of "TRL," MTV has long abandoned music as a programming mainstay. For years, all eyes have been on genre-busting reality shows like "The Osbournes," "Newlyweds," "Jackass," "My Super Sweet 16" and "The Hills." The network is currently riding high with the docudrama "Teen Mom" and "Real World"-esque "Jersey Shore."

Exarhos said the network's marketing team had tossed around losing "Music Television" from the logo before, but "we had never taken the idea upstairs to [MTV president Van Toffler and MTV Networks chair-CEO Judy McGrath]. We thought, 'No one is ever going to let us do this.' It's the one thing we've never touched," she said. But with the channel's most recent on-air redesign -- something the network switches up every couple of years -- "now felt like the right time."

"It felt like, 'Why have we been so scared when the channel itself has evolved so much over the years?' "

Does the newly cropped logo mean no music at all? "Absolutely not," Exarhos said, pointing to the success of the "VMAs" and the recent Haiti telethon organized by George Clooney and the network. Some editions of the logo, in fact, feature Beyonce at the "VMAs" and Jay-Z on the telethon, while others promote new shows like "My Life as Liz" and upcoming ones including "The Hard Times of RJ Berger".

Beyond cropping out the words "Music Television," Exarhos said her team redrew and minimally tweaked the placement of the "TV" within the "M" (Spot the difference between the logos, pictured above.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

so this means the VMAs can't be called the Video Music Awards, since no one will hav had any chance to actually see the videos they're awarding,.

ignoring that the VMAs havn't been about the videos since the mid 90s..
under the paving stones.

diggler

true, but they still have all those other MTV channels don't they? MTVU and what not? they'll just claim you're supposed to see the videos on those channels. plus with the internet everyone has a different way to see music videos anyway. if anything this is a good development, since it's one step towards marginalizing MTV's impact on music in general.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

I was hoping this thread got bumped for some Jersey Shore discussion.

"Why you stalkin' my whole life, bro?!"

Neil

Someone told me that the Jersey Shore reunion got better ratings than the Haiti marathon that went down.  Ratings are bullshit, but either way, I wonder which xixaxer's participated in that.

EDIT: better put this up before it's months old and not relevant any more

JOKE POLICE!
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.