It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)

Started by SoNowThen, November 28, 2003, 12:08:18 PM

pete

what are some of the bands from drive thru records?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was on a johnny cash kick and read a biography and it mentioned how he was a fan of dylan's and corresponded by letter with him after hearing Freewheelin'. i already had Hwy 61 and loved it, so i put that album on my Christmas list and got it. some really really great songs, my favorite being Corrina, Corrina (has Bob ever sang that good with those pretty big vocal jumps during the chorus?) and of course the first 3 songs and don't think twice.......a few of the other songs seem very similiar maybe even sharing the same chords. then after talking to a friend and having so many recommendations for Blonde on Blonde, i bought that and Bringing it All Back Home (the clips sounded great on barnes and noble). Bringing It All Back Home sounds pretty solid throughout. i really love 4th Time Around from BoB. my only compliant with BoB at this point is that it seems his backing band goes for traditional kinda cliche blues playing at some points and Bob's singing seems to have more of that drawn out, less tuneful sound (that i guess Tom Petty stole). but i also haven't gotten to listen that much and it probably wasn't a great idea to expose myself to all of these classic albums all at the same time, so i imagine each will reveal their hidden beauty in sweet time.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Bob Dylan to Become Satellite Radio DJ
Source: Pitchfork

The times, they are a-changin'. XM Satellite Radio announced today that Bob Dylan has signed on to become their latest DJ. Come March, the living legend will host a weekly show on XM's Deep Tracks channel. In addition to a hand-picked playlist by the master himself, the hour-long program will feature commentary on music and other topics, interviews with special guests, and on-air replies to e-mail from XM subscribers.

"Songs and music have always inspired me," Dylan said in a press release. "A lot of my own songs have been played on the radio, but this is the first time I've ever been on the other side of the mic. It'll be as exciting for me as it is for XM."

Dylan joins a roster of DJs that already includes Snoop Dogg and Ellen DeGeneres. We'll just let that sink in for a second.

How much money is XM paying Dylan to do this? The answer, my friend, is bl-- ah, you know the rest.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

SiliasRuby

I have a really huge obsession with Dylan. The only dylan albums that I don't have are Live at Budokan and the Live holloween album circa 1964. I even have his overproduced 80's stuff. Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is that I've heard that a new album by him is coming out August 29th, Called "Modern Times".
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

hedwig

yeah i love dylan too. i saw him live a couple months ago at the hard rock here in south florida. it was a great show except for the idiots in front and back of me yelling their disapproval over his song selections ("i don't know any of these songs!") which was weird, 'cause i'd hardly call stuff like "All Along the Watchtower" and "Like a Rolling Stone" obscure dylan tunes.  :yabbse-undecided:

oh and also the idiots who kept calling out for opening-act merle haggard to come back onstage. "BRING BACK MERLE!" i was ready to murder someone. the best song dylan played that night was "High Water (for Charley Patton)" - totally gave me a new appreciation of the banjo. :shock:

Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 03, 2006, 11:48:25 AM
Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is that I've heard that a new album by him is coming out August 29th, Called "Modern Times".
more info on that..

Legendary rocker BOB DYLAN has thrilled R+B singer ALICIA KEYS by name-checking her on his highly-anticipated new album. Dylan, 65, references Keys, 26, on the title track of his latest disc MODERN TIMES. The album is his first in five years and is released in August (06). Dylan sings: "I was thinking about Alicia Keys, couldn't help from crying / When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line / I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be / I been looking for her even clean through Tennessee". It is believed Dylan and Keys met at the 2001 Grammy Awards. Keys says, "I first heard through the grapevine that he'd mentioned my name in one of his new songs. "I just knew somebody had to be playing with me! How could such a legend know me? And bigger than that, want to write about me? "I haven't heard the song yet - it's top secret. But I'm crazy excited about it and I'm honoured to be on his mind."

MacGuffin

Choreographer Tharp to bring Dylan to Broadway

Choreographer Twyla Tharp, who brought the music of Billy Joel to the theater with her hit show "Movin' Out," now will bring the songs of Bob Dylan to Broadway.

"The Times They Are A-Changin'," a musical conceived, directed and choreographed by the Tony Award-winning Tharp, opens this fall, according to a release issued on Monday by her press agent.

The musical, which premiered in San Diego this year, will recount the tale of a young man coming to age, using Dylan's legendary music and lyrics, Tharp said.

Dylan has written more than 500 songs, including "Blowin' in the Wind," "The Times They Are A-Changin'," "All Along The Watchtower," "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door."

"I have no talent for flattery whatsoever but Twyla's artistry knocks me out," Dylan said in the same statement. "Her production of 'The Times They Are A-Changin' is the best presentation of my songs I have ever seen or heard on any stage. It had a hold over me from start to finish."

The musical will open at the Brooks Atkinson Theater on October 26, with previews beginning September 25.

Tharp, known for choreographing such works as "Nine Sinatra Songs," won a Tony Award for "Movin' Out," with its score by rock star Billy Joel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: Hedwig on July 04, 2006, 09:57:23 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 03, 2006, 11:48:25 AM
Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is that I've heard that a new album by him is coming out August 29th, Called "Modern Times".
more info on that..

Legendary rocker BOB DYLAN has thrilled R+B singer ALICIA KEYS by name-checking her on his highly-anticipated new album. Dylan, 65, references Keys, 26, on the title track of his latest disc MODERN TIMES. The album is his first in five years and is released in August (06). Dylan sings: "I was thinking about Alicia Keys, couldn't help from crying / When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line / I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be / I been looking for her even clean through Tennessee". It is believed Dylan and Keys met at the 2001 Grammy Awards. Keys says, "I first heard through the grapevine that he'd mentioned my name in one of his new songs. "I just knew somebody had to be playing with me! How could such a legend know me? And bigger than that, want to write about me? "I haven't heard the song yet - it's top secret. But I'm crazy excited about it and I'm honoured to be on his mind."

New Dylan album boasts some epic songs

Bob Dylan will release his first studio album in almost five years, "Modern Times," on August 29.

Four of the 10 cuts on the Columbia release push the six-minute mark, including the nearly eight-minute "Spirit on the Water" and the nearly nine-minute closer, "Ain't Talkin'."

"Modern Times" was recorded earlier this year with Dylan's touring band of bassist Tony Garnier, drummer George G. Receli, guitarists Stu Kimball and Denny Freeman and multi-instrumentalist Donnie Herron.

The album will also be available in a special edition with a bonus DVD featuring four additional songs, details of which have yet to be announced. Dylan will support "Modern Times" with his third annual tour of minor league baseball stadiums, which gets underway August 12 in Comstock Park, Mich.

His last album, "Love and Theft," was released on September 11, 2001.

Meanwhile, Dylan will be the subject of a star-studded tribute concert to be held November 9 at New York's Avery Fisher Hall. Such artists as Patti Smith, Phil Lesh, Cat Power, Philip Glass, Natalie Merchant and the Black Crowes' Chris and Rich Robinson will each cover one of Dylan's tunes at the event, proceeds from which will benefit the Music for Youth Foundation.

Other acts on the bill include Rosanne Cash, Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo, Medeski Martin & Wood, Gov't Mule and Al Kooper and the Funky Faculty.

Here is the track list for "Modern Times":

"Thunder on the Mountain"

"Spirit on the Water"

"Rollin' and Tumblin"'

"When the Deal Goes Down"

"Someday Baby"

"Workingman's Blues #2"

"Beyond the Horizon"

"Nettie Moore"

"The Levee's Gonna Break"

"Ain't Talkin"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Bob Dylan's new music video "When the Deal Goes Down," directed by Bennett Miller (Capote), starring Scarlett Johansson:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iBfTBagpAUY

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Awesome, I love this cat. New Album is fastastic.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

theyarelegion

resurrecting this old thread with just cause:

ain't he something?
(my favourite performance of his)

Neil

I always thought this was interesting.  One of the early performances of Desolation Row where everyone just laughs the whole time.  It's kind of creepy actually.  It has funny aspects but this shit doesn't make sense. 

"Oh, we're supposed to be laughing."

I couldn't find the youtube version. Sorry.

http://fliiby.com/file/402196/nbcgbh4ny0.html
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

It's his first live performance, right? Then maybe they just don't know how to react to him, like they think he sings a certain way because he's trying to be funny? They also must be unfamiliar with a song structured this way, so they think "oh, he's telling a story, well I guess we're just along for the ride"

To be fair, some of the lyrics are funny:

"Here comes the blind commissioner
They've got him in a trance
One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker
The other is in his pants"

"Cinderella, she seems so easy
"It takes one to know one," she smiles
And puts her hands in her back pockets
Bette Davis style"

"Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood
With his memories in a trunk
Passed this way an hour ago
With his friend, a jealous monk
He looked so immaculately frightful
As he bummed a cigarette
Then he went off sniffing drainpipes
And reciting the alphabet"

The Perineum Falcon

It's the first live performance of Desolation Row. The video says it's from 1965, so Dylan had been around for a couple of years.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.