Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: WalrosferatuHave you seen it or know if it's worth seeing?
i can tell u that he has seen it, and we hav a thread about it, wherein his review summarizes the film and all other reviews quite well.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=199466#199466
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I could tolerate hearing his review if it's brief, which it was, but I don't want to read an entire thread about it, and accidentally read a spoiler or something.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ghostboy

I agree completely with the 9/10 rating for The Ring., and the claim that it's the scariest horror film of the last ten years. Just thinking about it creeps me out.

The only thing the original did better, I think, was the end with the TV. The remake was a little too slick looking (although still frightening). Aside from that, this was a remake that completely eclipsed the original (although it helped that they were able to crib from Nakata's Japanese sequel and Dark Water as well).

I, too, did not bother with the sequel.

RegularKarate

I totally agree with Ghostboy... especially about the original doing the Televsion scene better.

and yeah, part two is a fucking abortion.

Gamblour.

Lost Boys is awesome, but Mod you don't mention how fucking creepy Kiefer is...maybe that goes without saying. But just look at those stills you have of him!!! (What was the closing line??)

Shaun of the Dead deserves 9/10 man, it's a brilliant fucking movie. I just got it today, whoo! The brilliant thing is it mocks horror movies but then, at the end, becomes an absolutely great, tense zombie flick.

The Ring is a great choice. Probably one of the best movies for atmosphere and just fucking tension.

Great choices on these last three, but more love for Shaun, haha.
WWPTAD?

modage

Quote from: GamblourWhat was the closing line??
Grandpa: One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)
"Reality is just what we tell each other it is.  Sane and insane could easily switch places if the insane were to become the majority."

WHATS IT ABOUT? One of John Carpenter's most underrated horror films is inspired by the work of H.P. Lovecraft and stars Sam Neil as an insurance investigator looking into the disappearance of a massively successful horror writer named Sutter Cane.

IS IT SCARY? Yes.  Even when it comes up short on logic, I always admire this film for it's atmosphere and how creepy it manages to stay everytime I watch it.            

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? It's a great premise for a film (interestingly written by Michael DeLuca who produced Boogie Nights & Magnolia) that begins realistically enough, but begins to slip into insanity though you're not sure exactly when.  And Sam Neill does a good job in the lead helping to ground the film in believability.

SCARIEST MOMENT: The bicycle rider.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it plays like a great Twilight Zone or Tales From The Crypt episode.  And because considering how creepy it is, not nearly enough people have seen it.  It also may be your last recommendation for an underrated horror film this year.  With only a week to go, it's classics from here on out!

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: modageSCARIEST MOMENT: The bicycle rider.
AKA Anakin Skywalker

Thrindle

Quote from: modageSCARIEST MOMENT: The bicycle rider.
Hell yeah!  

One year my aunt dressed up like that dude and was strategically peddling across a bridge when her family was driving home.  Scared the fuck out of them.   :twisted:
Classic.

modage

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
"The heads were not found severed.  The heads were not found at all."

WHATS IT ABOUT? In a perfect match of director and material, Tim Burton puts a spin on the classic story The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow in what may be his last great film.

IS IT SCARY? Not really, but it gets pretty tense at spots.            

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT? It was written by Andrew Kevin Walker who wrote Se7en, though I've seen the film almost 10 times now and I still can't tell you what the plot is. But it's almost besides the point.  Burton manages to make a modern day Hammer film even casting Hammer regulars Christopher Lee and Michael Gough.  Depp, who when refused a large prosthetic nose he wanted to play the character of Ichabod Crane, instead decided to play the character as a 12 year old girl. There are 11 onscreen and 5 offscreen decapitations.        

SCARIEST MOMENT: When the horseman returns for the little boy, it's so hardcore I still can't believe it.

WHY SHOULD I WATCH IT? Because it's the closest Tim Burton has come to making a horror film.  

modage

Shock Horror!
Total Film proudly hails the 50 Greatest Horror Movies Of All Time

With the nights getting longer and children across the UK about to mimic their American counterparts on Halloween Eve by donning creepy costumes in return for sweets, we at Total Film felt it was the perfect time to rifle through the long, gory history of movie horror and pick out our Top 50. Some are terrifying. Some are horrifying. Some are just plain revolting. But every one of the films on our list is a raw, visceral and highly disturbing shocker.

For the comprehensive rundown (and to find out which films scare the pants off horror maestros like David Cronenberg, George Romero and Wes Craven), pick up the November 2005 issue of Total Film, on sale now.

Disagree with our list? Or is your favourite horror movie missing? Go to the Total Film forum to air your views...

1 THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 1974

Cutting deep: Tobe Hooper takes horror to the bleeding edge.

2 HALLOWEEN 1978
Hawks meets Hitchcock as the slasher cycle finds true Shape...

3 SUSPIRIA 1977
Sighs and whispers (and screams) in Argento's baroque bloodletter.

4 DAWN OF THE DEAD 1978
George A Romero's definitive document of the walking dead.

5 THE SHINING 1980
Loving family man tries to put an axe through his son's head.

6 PSYCHO 1960
Come on up to the house. Oh, and don't mind Mother...

7 THE WICKER MAN 1973
Creeping pagan terror on a remote Scottish island.

8 ROSEMARY'S BABY 1968
The horny Devil hits home and hearth...

9 DON'T LOOK NOW 1973
Nicolas Roeg's clammy elegy to love and loss.

10 CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 1980
Horror doesn't get any harsher than this.

11 THE THING 1982
Snatched bodies and reheated Cold War paranoia.

12 CARRIE 1976
Memo to all bullies – Stop. Picking. On. The. Quiet. Ones.

13 THE EXORCIST 1973
The Devil rides into the mother of all religio-horrors.

14 THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT 1999
If you go down to the woods today... take a camcorder.

15 WITCHFINDER GENERAL 1968
Lyrical English landscapes are painted red with torture.

16 THE HAUNTING 1963
You are invited to a born-bad house. Bring your own ghosts.

17 THE EVIL DEAD 1981
Five go bloody in the woods in Raimi's splatter-punk debut.

18 PEEPING TOM 1960
Cameraman fi lms as he kills. Such a nice young man...

19 ALIEN 1979
The ultimate hack'n'slash bad-boy monster.

20 BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN 1935
Karloff's monster lumbers towards matrimony.

21 NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 1968
A bunch of amateurs stake out a home in horror history.

22 CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE 1944
A haunting, shivery study of childhood loneliness.

23 SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE 2003
Modern horror grows some bloody big balls.

24 A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1984
Horny teens get fingered by the son of a thousand maniacs.

25 AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON 1981
More than just a shaggy dog story.

26 NIGHT OF THE DEMON 1957
Cat People helmer brings that ol' black magic to Blighty.

27 HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER 1986
String vests and death by screwdriver.

28 BAY OF BLOOD 1971
Everyone kills everyone else in once-banned video nasty.

29 AUDITION 1999
A woman's revenge, served with relish by Takashi Miike.

30 SHIVERS 1975
Zombies run riot in an early slab of Cronenberg meat.

31 THE INNOCENTS 1961
Subtle scares in Henry James' clammy ghost tale.

32 THE DEVIL RIDES OUT 1968

It's Christopher Lee versus soul-stealing Satanists!

33 LES DIABOLIQUES 1955
Murderous schemes in a French boarding school.

34 DEAD RINGERS 1988
Love, addiction, separation. Nausea guaranteed.

35 INFERNO 1980
Blood and thunder in Argento's frenzied trip of the brain.

36 MARTIN 1977
Growing pains for bloodsucking teen sociopath.

37 THE HOWLING 1981
A tongue-in-cheek werewolf pic that likes its meat rare.

38 VAMPYR 1932
Gather, darkness: a vampire film like no other.

39 CANDYMAN 1992

Dare you to look in the mirror and say his name five times! No? Thought not...

40 THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES 1966
City quack investigates dying country bumpkins.

41 SCREAM 1996
Wes Craven rewrites the slasher textbook.

42 TARGETS 1968
Trad horror confronts modern terror in Bogdanovich's debut.

43 THE SECT 1991
Infernal pits, Devil-worship and the son of Satan!

44 THE DESCENT 2005
Six chicks with picks. Be afraid, be very afraid.

45 BRAINDEAD 1992
Quite possibly the bloodiest movie ever made.

46 HOUR OF THE WOLF 1968
Father Merrin must exorcise a few demons of his own.

47 ERASERHEAD 1977
David Lynch presents an argument for sterilisation.

48 NEKROMANTIK 1987
Dead and loving it in a truly sick flick.

49 THE BEYOND 1981
Director Lucio Fulci goes to Hell and back.

50 HELLRAISER 1987
Demonically kinky splatter-smut in Clive Barker's deviant debut.

i've only seen 5 of those  :)
context, context, context.

modage

Quote from: cronopioi've only seen 5 of those  :)
well then you've got some work to do!  c'mon theres 3 days till Halloween, watch something.  i've seen 32.

i'm on it. last week i saw alien and it was awesome.  i'll try to see the thing soon
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

Continuing my Cronenberg/horror series, I watched his deubt, Shivers. It's brilliant! Disgusting, frightening and intelligent, and perfectly directed - I'm really surprised that he did Scanners after this, because his direction here is on a much higher level. The last ten minutes, when you realize that it's actually a zombie film, is just outstanding.

Scariest moment? All the stomach lumps are pretty awful, but for me, the quick shot where the Doctor runs down the stairwell and sees the two children on leashes was just really unsettling...sorta like the guy in the dog suit in The Shining.

I'd give this  8.5 out 10 skulls.