CITY OF GOD DVD?

Started by TENOCH, October 20, 2003, 08:36:01 PM

TENOCH

Does anybody have any idea or news when this great masterpice comes out?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

After/around the Oscars next near. Miramax is planning a theatrical re-release (more so now with the screener ban, I would assume) to push it for Academy nominations.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffinAfter/around the Oscars next near. Miramax is planning a theatrical re-release (more so now with the screener ban, I would assume) to push it for Academy nominations.

Hhhhmmmm..... I was convinced City Of God was supposed to be available for Academy nominations last year. Hope I'm wrong, because if it gets to the Academy Awards, more people will want to see the movie and it's a movie that should be seen by everyone.
Si

MacGuffin

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumHhhhmmmm..... I was convinced City Of God was supposed to be available for Academy nominations last year. Hope I'm wrong, because if it gets to the Academy Awards, more people will want to see the movie and it's a movie that should be seen by everyone.

It was eligible for Best Foreign Film last year, but since it was released in the States this year, it's eligible for all other catagories.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

lamas

Mac, have you heard when the rerelease will be?  I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the fall preview editions of Premiere, Entertainment Weekly...  Also what are the cutoff dates for the Academy Awards?

MacGuffin

Quote from: lamasMac, have you heard when the rerelease will be?  I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the fall preview editions of Premiere, Entertainment Weekly...  Also what are the cutoff dates for the Academy Awards?

Harvey Weinstein has said some time in December. The cutoff for the Oscars is the end of the year. Films have to be shown theatrically for five consecutive days to qualify. "City Of God" doesn't have to worry about that since it was already released in January of this year. The re-release is just to remind Oscar voters.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

if its anywhere as wide a re-release as the Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, then america is in for CITY OF GOD MANIA!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/11_19.html

Rounding out today's news is the February 17th debut of the highly-acclaimed Brazilian epic City Of God (aka Cidade de Deus). Buena Vista Home entertainment will release the critical hit as a special edition, complete with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and the one-hour documentary "News From A Personal War." Retail is $29.95.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Ravihttp://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/11_19.html

Rounding out today's news is the February 17th debut of the highly-acclaimed Brazilian epic City Of God (aka Cidade de Deus). Buena Vista Home entertainment will release the critical hit as a special edition, complete with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and the one-hour documentary "News From A Personal War." Retail is $29.95.

That's bad ass

i've posted this many times.

subtitles in french and has 2 discs.
context, context, context.

Pwaybloe

News courtesy msnbc.com

City of God DVD delayed, controversy ensues

Miramax spokesman, Francis Byron, announced the delay of the DVD for the US market amid much resistance from the producers and creative team of the Brazilian-made film, "City of God."

Byron stated, "We at Miramax had a lot of faith and hope in this small film from Brazil.  It fared well with our test audiences, but we were more than disappointed in its lack of performance in American theaters.  We feel that the DVD will be 'dumped' onto the US market, and this is not acceptable to Miramax.  We will see how the film does with the Oscar nominations later this month, then we will make a decision on a release date.  The DVD will be delayed indefinately."

In a less candid interview, Byron commented, "I never really liked the movie that much.  I mean, it's okay, but I hate reading subtitles.  And I think American audiences agreed with me," he chuckled.

One of the co-directors of "City of God" was less than happy with Byron's statement.  "Motherf*cker!  Motherf*cker!  Motherf*cker!," Kátia Lund reportedly screamed when hearing of the news.

Miramax's flamboyant chairman, Harvey Weinstein, was unavailable for comment.

SoNowThen

...people are gonna die. I want this dvd but NOW!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: PawbloeNews courtesy msnbc.com

City of God DVD delayed, controversy ensues

Miramax spokesman, Francis Byron, announced the delay of the DVD for the US market amid much resistance from the producers and creative team of the Brazilian-made film, "City of God."

Byron stated, "We at Miramax had a lot of faith and hope in this small film from Brazil.  It fared well with our test audiences, but we were more than disappointed in its lack of performance in American theaters.  We feel that the DVD will be 'dumped' onto the US market, and this is not acceptable to Miramax.  We will see how the film does with the Oscar nominations later this month, then we will make a decision on a release date.  The DVD will be delayed indefinately."

In a less candid interview, Byron commented, "I never really liked the movie that much.  I mean, it's okay, but I hate reading subtitles.  And I think American audiences agreed with me," he chuckled.

One of the co-directors of "City of God" was less than happy with Byron's statement.  "Motherf*cker!  Motherf*cker!  Motherf*cker!," Kátia Lund reportedly screamed when hearing of the news.

Miramax's flamboyant chairman, Harvey Weinstein, was unavailable for comment.

I wish the date for this article was April 1st. Sadly , it's not.  I mean, I already have the DVD , but it's really amazing that Byron said that. I'm stunned.
context, context, context.

modage

dumped on us!?!?! the fucking thing came out a YEAR AGO!!! it had its fucking chances?!!? the only people who care about them delaying the dvd are geeks like us!   WTF, no one else will be affected.