ED WOOD DVD

Started by Alexandro, October 11, 2003, 12:13:58 PM

Find Your Magali

This recall is super bizarre. Anybody heard anything else about WHY???

Are they thinking of something as silly as repackaging to take advantage of Depp's and Murray's Oscar nominations??

SoNowThen

Ugh, probably.

They'll slap on those tacky "oscar nominated actor" brackets beside everyone's name.

Kinda like when I bought Gerry yesterday, and on the front cover, in huge letters, it says "from the director of Goodwill Hunting and Finding Forrestor". Fuck. That almost makes me not want to own the dvd. Like, they're stooping that low to try and sell a few extra copies. Barking up the wrong tree, and all that...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

analogzombie

okay fellow ed wood-philes here's the skinny:

all of the dvds that have been leaked, well at least the ones I bought and the ones on E-bay, are all coming from the same chain: Wherehouse Music. They used to be owned by Blockbuster then they were sold and only a few stores were left open, so i don't know if any of you live in a city with one that is still open. anyway, my friend who works there was telling me that the with the new ownership, all things like release dates, recall notices etc... are reall screwed up and taking a long time to deciminate. hence why they still have their copies and have gotten no word to send them back. A lot of the stores have already put them on the shelves not even realizing its a new release.

So if you have a Wherehouse Music in your town, go there now, and look for the DVD. If it's not on the shelf here's what you do. Ask someone to put it on hold for you untill next wednesday. Now you can either come back them or just go back the next day, and tell a different employee you have a dvd on hold. Of course Wherehouse is pricey, my dvd was like $30 but whatever, who knows when they'll decide to release this thing. I know the Atlanta Wherehouse Music on Peachtree in Buckhead still has at least one copy. Good Luck!

But I must say from looking at the packaging and DVD itself I think the assumption that they want to use the recent success of those involved to promote this release is right on. The cast listing on the back credits: "Tim Burton (Big Fish, Batman), funnyman Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) Sarah Jessica Parker (TV's Sex and the City), and Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Carribbean, Chocolat). " haha funnyman Bill Murray!? not to mention the actual DVD looks kind of funny, I mean it has a stock listing number on it and has a label that advises: for technical assistance with this Touchstone DVD call..." never seen that before. I bet they'll recall all these, wait for the oscars to see who wins, then re-release it with a sticker on the packaging announcing: "From Academy Award Winners Tim Burton and Bill Murray" or something.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Weird. Oh

I have a copy at my store :). They don't know anything about a recall. I can get it tuesday for any willing buyers. :)
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

modage

apparently a lot of stores dont know about the recall yet.  weird that it would hit online like an epidemic before they even sent out memos to the damn retailers.  i am trying like hell to get one from one of my old friends new girlfriend who works at a Suncoast and says that they have them but still havent gotten a recall notice.  hopefully if tuesday comes and they havent they'll go out EVERYwhere, and i'll be able to get one.  if not, moviemike, you might want to set aside a few just in case...

also, not sure if this is a joke, but at amazon...

Product Details
Starring: Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, See more
Director: Tim Burton
Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
Format: Black & White, Closed-captioned
Rated:  Not for sale to persons under age 18.
Studio: Buena Vista Home Vid
DVD Release Date: January 1, 2010
DVD Features:
-Commentary by director Tim Burton and actor Martin Landau
-Deleted scenes
-Behind-the-scenes footage hosted by Johnny Depp
-"When Carol Met Larry" a cross-dressing introspective
-Production design featurette and more
-Widescreen anamorphic format
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

analogzombie

Quote from: themodernage02DVD Release Date: January 1, 2010

they usually put that on titles that have been delayed but have no new release date. it's a way of saying "we have no idea when this sucka' is coming out"

MacGuffin

Source: Digital Bits

By the way, we STILL have no follow-up statements from Buena Vista regarding their postponement of the Ed Wood: Special Edition. Interestingly, Amazon.ca is now showing an April 4th street date, but until we hear something from the studio, I wouldn't think much of it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

In the Sunday Best Buy advertisement, it lists "Ed Wood" as available Tuesday with a $19.99 price, but the web site does not list it. Could be the advert was made before the recall. Same with the Circuit City ad and site. Could be worth a visit, or at least a phone call to see if they have any in stock.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah i keep wondering.  if some of these stores dont have any idea about the recall yet, then theyre going to go out on shelves on tuesday, arent they?  i'm gonna check across the street at tower records, when i go to get lost in translation, cause i really dont want to miss out on these.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

analogzombie

this is just super weird. i bet several stores put it out on Tuesday. If Buena Vista really wants to get this recall out they are doing a poor job of it. If Wal-mart has them I can almost gurantee they'll be on the shelves come tuesday.

MacGuffin

Source: The Digital Bits

How's this for a screwed up situation? Despite Buena Vista's insistence to us that the Ed Wood: Special Edition has been indefinitely postponed, it seems that several retailers may still be planning on putting it up for sale tomorrow. Best Buy has been advertising it in their weekend circulars, and it seems likely that other chains will have copies for sale as well. We're hearing that many Suncoast stores have yet to be told NOT to stock the disc on their shelves. All this despite the fact that it's no longer available from many online retailers.

Honestly, we have no idea what to think at this point. Buena Vista STILL hasn't issued an official public statement, or given a reason for the supposed postponement. So the best we can tell you is, if you want the disc, get out to your local retailers tomorrow morning. You may just get lucky.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Source: The Digital Bits
(LATE UPDATE - 2/2/04 - 4:30 PM PST)

We have a late update for you on the Ed Wood DVD. Several store managers and staffers have e-mailed us this afternoon, since our last post, with word that Suncoast locations HAVE been told NOT to put copies of Ed Wood on the floor for sale tomorrow. Word is, the stores will be sending back the copies they received in the next couple of weeks. Just FYI. Thanks to everyone who e-mailed us with this information.

fuck.  i really want one of these.

anyone who gets one tomorrow might want to pick up an extra if they have the cash...

Ravi

As tempted as I am to scour the stores looking for this DVD, I think I'll wait.  But damn, I am tempted.

billybrown

Will these re-called DVD's be legitimately worth something or will too many of them have already been leaked out?