Author Topic: Is Francis Ford Coppola dead?  (Read 48535 times)

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +351
Re: Is Francis Ford Coppola dead?
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
+1
Hope cinephiles aren't expecting a new Godfather. Cos this is going to be entirely shot on a camcorder and the actors will all be shadow puppets.

wilder

• Respect: +1690

tpfkabi

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +22
    • twitter deed, twitter dead. in the heart or in the head?
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
I read through this thread after watching The Rain People.
Have any of you seen this film?
It's the film he made right before The Godfather and I never hear about it. I was probably familiar with the title from looking at his Filmography at some point, and I recorded it off of TCM last year.
If this is considered your 5th best film, I say you've done quite well for yourself.
It is only available as a burn on demand Warner Archives DVD.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »
Francis Ford Coppola Sees A “Live” Future For Film
BY Deadline

Francis Ford Coppola can see the future of cinema, and it’s going to be “live,” like a digital play or a virtual opera. Speaking before an overflow crowd at the closing of the Producer Guild‘s Produced By conference, Coppola said he sees a future in which movies will be presented “live” to audiences all around the world at the same time.

With the digital revolution, he said, “movies no longer have to be set in stone and can be composed and interpreted for different audiences that come to see it. Film has always been a recorded medium,” but live cinema remixes might be “30 percent pre-recorded as the actors do it live. You can do anything and you can do it live.”

Coppola said he might even essay such a “live” movie himself.  Coppola, who is currently writing a saga about multiple generations of an Italian-American family (ed.: why does this somehow sound familiar?), said, “Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and do it live.”
The Godfather of American cinema said that he is “very optimistic about the future of cinema and the world,” and he’s especially bullish on independent filmmaking. ”If not for independent filmmakers,” he said, “all we would have would be these big industrial films. The cinema is too important to allow industry high finance to stop it. Cinema is too big to be defeated.”
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2015, 05:03:16 PM »
Francis Ford Coppola Wants To Do His Brewing Family Saga As Live Television
via The Playlist

The latter-era career of Francis Ford Coppola has been marked by experimentation. He went black-and-white for "Tetro;" played with digital, 3D and on-the-fly editing in festival screenings with "Twixt;" and during his address at the Marrakech International Film Festival, called out the creative gatekeepers of the industry who put profit over progress. It may be why the director is now saying he's going to hang it all up, though he's going to go out by once again trying to push the boundaries of storytelling.

Last year, the director revealed he was in the midst of writing what he described as "a multi-generational saga about an Italian-American family not unlike his own." Now, in an interview with Screen Daily, he reveals a few more details about the project, titled "Distant Vision," and the approach he wants to take.

“I may only make one film more in my life, but it may be very long, and it may go in different places,” Coppola said. "It’s sort of like [Thomas Mann's] 'Buddenbrooks' because it’s about three generations of a family. It happens during the birth of television; the growth and omnipresence of television and finally the end of television as it turns into the internet. Then I decided that I wanted to do it as live television.”

Maybe he can ring up NBC, as they've recently revived the format commonly used in the pre-tape era of television for their recent batch of musicals — though, given what the director has said about the project, wouldn't a live web stream make more sense? At any rate, Coppola sees a convergence happening between cinema and television.

“It has all become one. There is no more film, there is no more television — there is cinema. And it can be everywhere and anywhere and it can do anything,” he stated. And at 76 years old, the director is still ready to go out on the high wire in the pursuit of making something great.

wilder

« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2016, 03:55:03 PM »
+1
Watch: Francis Ford Coppola Explains His "Live Cinema" Project ‘Distant Vision’ And More In 57-Minute Talk
via The Playlist

“We’re not gonna talk about wine,” legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola quipped at the Tribeca Film Festival where he sat down for a wide-ranging Storytellers talk moderated by author Jay McInerney. And it was an appropriate setting for the man who gave the world “The Godfather,” as he’s now embarking on another epic story.

“Distant Vision” is a massive undertaking that Coppola has been working on for a while now. In 2014 he described it as "a multi-generational saga about an Italian-American family not unlike his own" and later explained the unique approach he was going to take with it.

"It’s sort of like [Thomas Mann's] 'Buddenbrooks' because it’s about three generations of a family,” Coppola said in 2015. “It happens during the birth of television; the growth and omnipresence of television and finally the end of television as it turns into the internet. Then I decided that I wanted to do it as live television.”

Noting that the script for “Distant Vision” is now running around 500 pages, Coppola explained at Tribeca that he’s planning shorter "proof of concept" productions to work out the technical hurdles before diving into it fully, describing the combination of live performance and traditional moviemaking as the “holy grail.” He also points to recent live TV productions of “Grease” and “A Few Good Men” as similar to what he’s going for, but Coppola is working on a much, much bigger scale.

wilder

« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather Notebook is being published tomorrow

The Godfather Notebook - Amazon

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy