My light kit smells like burning

Started by DigitalFriend, September 29, 2003, 10:33:55 PM

DigitalFriend

Ok, got a cheap light kit on ebay, i power it up, its 600watts and hot as hell.  when i use the barndoors though it starts to smoke up and give off a really bad smell.  Is this something that just needs to be done to sort of wear it down and eventually the barn doors won't smoke?  Is it safe?  Is there some sort of spray or protectant something that I can use to fix this?

let me know!

-Bobby

kotte

Is the kit new? Then it can smell for a while...

If you bought an old one then It shouldn't (maybe if it haven't been used in a while.)

Link

SoNowThen

our light kits in school always did that...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Witkacy

My mini-moles always made a stench but usually from burning diffusion.

DigitalFriend

it is a used kit, but when I looked at it, it seemed to be in very good condition like it was hardly used...

Weak2ndAct

From my experience, if you're using powerful lights there's always going to be *some* stench.  Most likely, it's dust/dirt on the doors, that shit gives off a pungent smell when burning.  A simple cleaning should help.  If not-- are you sure those were the doors that came with the lights?  Sometimes those get switched out and that's the problem.

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Witkacy

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Weak2ndActFrom my experience, if you're using powerful lights there's always going to be *some* stench.  Most likely, it's dust/dirt on the doors, that shit gives off a pungent smell when burning.  A simple cleaning should help.  If not-- are you sure those were the doors that came with the lights?  Sometimes those get switched out and that's the problem.
yes, exactly.

...also don't handle the bulbs with your bare fingers.  Just simply use a cloth or something when replacing or cleaning.  Sometimes the stench (assuming the barndoors aren't roastin', watch this close though as it can happen easily) comes from finger oil burning off the bulb.  It may also smoke a little too...just keep a close eye on it, and don't handle the bulbs directly.

I don't suppose you got something similar to Tota Lights?

DigitalFriend

I would say they are pretty much this model, but an older white version:

http://tinyurl.com/pjhh

mutinyco

Dude, I told you not to leave your stash in that 2k...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

GodDamnImDaMan

ya, i rememebr the light kits we got from school also had that horrible sensual smell...

Dont mind it, however dont accidently burn anything either. As you probably already know, those things get incredibly HOT...

like myself. :lol:
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz