Nick Cave

Started by phil marlowe, February 01, 2003, 07:37:46 AM

evaderhead

you may ask "why not Let Love In or Tender Pray",or even the later ones,rite?all of them are great ,but i'm most into the dark imagination in Murder Ballads.
You'll see me one more time if you do good,
and you'll seeme two more times if you do bad.

Ghostboy

Most people I know who got into Nick Cave started out with Murder Ballads (including myself), and while it's absolutely brilliant, it does have a sort of novelty aspect to it. He talks a bit about that here, in a nice (if short) interview at The Onion.

The Lyre Of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues has gotten better every time I listen to it. Magnificent stuff.

meatwad

No beer, no show
September 08, 2005

AUSTRALIAN singer Nick Cave has scored a victory for rock and roll over health and safety laws, refusing to take the stage in London without his beer and cigarettes.
As Cave walked on stage at Alexandra Palace for a concert with his band the Bad Seeds last week, he was stopped by a security guard who told him his cans of beer and packet cigarettes were against the venue's rules.

Cave then told the guard he would not perform, British newspaper The Independent reported today.

"Nick just said 'Fine, if I can't take a beer on with me, I'm going back to my dressing room. You can go out there and tell some jokes to entertain the crowd for three hours.'," a source on Cave's tour told the paper.

"Then the band turned on their heels and marched back up to their dressing rooms."

Advertisement:
The venue authorities backed down after an awkward wait, giving the band "special allowance" to take their beers and smokes on stage.

GoneSavage

Meatwad, can you link me to that article?  That makes me so very happy.

meatwad

Quote from: GoneSavageMeatwad, can you link me to that article?  That makes me so very happy.

sorry, i can't seem to find the article that i copied that from. but here is a link to another article that talks about it, among other things

Ghostboy

Warren Ellis' use of cigarettes during the performance of Stagger Lee was pretty amazing when I saw him and Nick in concert (minus the Seeds) in New Orleans a few years ago. Nick, on the other hand, just smoked 'em.

In other news, check out this quote from Russel Crowe concerning a sequel to 'Gladiator:

"At first I was very cynical about that notion, but I've come around on it. We've had other ideas too, where we step off into the metaphysical and you actually acknowledge the fact that Maximus is dead, but that is a hard script to write. Nick Cave actually wrote a draft for me and Ridley [Scott] at one point. He's an excellent writer, man. Nick did this draft and Ridley and I considered it for a while. Actually I paid for it, such is my belief for the idea."