Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: BonBon85Hate to sound dumb here, but what's meant by superbit? Any word yet on the special features?

Superbit has no special features. It does away with them and uses that disc space to provide the best picture and sound quality possible. In time, I'm sure Columbia will come out with a Spec. Ed. disc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

Double dipping makes Sphinx MacGuffin BonBon sad.

Ernie

Quote from: The Gold Trumpethah, knew it would fall within my time frame.

~rougerum

That's cool, good job man, thank you.

Thanks to Macguffin too of course. This is the best news I've heard all week. I'm not too fond of Superbits but I guess this sounds pretty cool. I thought they only gave action movies Superbits...this shoulds be interesting.

Tommy Both

Quote from: MacGuffinIt does away with them and uses that disc space to provide the best picture and sound quality possible. In time, I'm sure Columbia will come out with a Spec. Ed. disc.

Actually I find this whole 'superbit' alotta bullshit, cause I can't even hear the difference between DTS and just the standard 5.1 Dolby surround... It must be my ears, but come on...why would we buy these non extra discs? Merely for the better quality of sound and picture? I mean ... thát 'better' quality won't even be recognized on a smaller than 25" inch TV-screen right and I guess we here don't own big ass flatscreen tv's and most of the 'younger' dvd buyers...? Maybe it's just me... but I think the studios are just trying to rip us off by fooling us for buying these cool sounding 'Superbit' DVDs.... So, anyone bought some of the Superbit collection copies?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: tommy_bothI mean ... thát 'better' quality won't even be recognized on a smaller than 25" inch TV-screen right and I guess we here don't own big ass flatscreen tv's and most of the 'younger' dvd buyers...?

Right.. to tell the difference, you'd probably need component video and optical audio.. all monstercable. Scam?

bonanzataz

I got Fifth Element superbit. It was basically get the regular disc w/ no spec features anyway or put in 4 extra dollars to get the superbit. I'd have to say it is the best looking picture in a dvd I think I've seen yet (though AI has a very good transfer, in my opinion).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

They were probably going to release just a barebones version anyways so why not make it superbit? This way you can grab all the videophiles and people who cant live without DTS. I know it makes a difference for me.

Recce

I got the 'Panic Room' superbit DVD. I found it did have a very good image and sound. But, then again, that film sort of did have a certain clean-cutness to it in theatres, so it might jsut be the film. Either way, I'll always try to get the better quality DVD's. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be rich and have a big ass TV and then I won't have to go around buying new, better DVD's.  Am I right?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Duck Sauce

Quote from: RecceI got the 'Panic Room' superbit DVD. I found it did have a very good image and sound. But, then again, that film sort of did have a certain clean-cutness to it in theatres, so it might jsut be the film. Either way, I'll always try to get the better quality DVD's. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be rich and have a big ass TV and then I won't have to go around buying new, better DVD's.  Am I right?

No, if you want the best quality you will have to rebuy all your movies when HD-DVD comes out.... and then....

Dirk

From dvdfile.com:
Skipping its way to DVD on May 6th after a $150 million box office run is Steven Spielberg's frothy Catch Me If You Can. DreamWorks Home Entertainment will debut this two-disc set in separate anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each including Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks and plenty of featurettes: "Behind The Camera" (A journey from book to screen), "Cast Me If You Can," "Scoring Catch Me If You Can," "Frank Abagnale: Between Reality and Fiction," "The FBI Perspective," and "In Closing," a still gallery, filmographies, production notes and trailers. There is no retail price set, but MAP will be $19.95.

EDIT - didn't notice Mac posted this and I can't seem to erase this post. please don't hate me  :oops:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Ernie

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: RecceI got the 'Panic Room' superbit DVD. I found it did have a very good image and sound. But, then again, that film sort of did have a certain clean-cutness to it in theatres, so it might jsut be the film. Either way, I'll always try to get the better quality DVD's. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be rich and have a big ass TV and then I won't have to go around buying new, better DVD's.  Am I right?

No, if you want the best quality you will have to rebuy all your movies when HD-DVD comes out.... and then....

That fucking sucks let me just say.

Dirk

Bowling for Columbine has been pushed back from April 22nd to May 13th. Looks like May is shaping up to be a good month with this, Adaptation, and Catch Me If You Can.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

moonshiner

Sam Jones' documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart will be released April 1st...special features:

Commentary by director Sam Jones and Wilco

Over 70 minutes of extra footage, featuring 17 additional Wilco songs: alternate versions of songs from "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", live concert performances, and new unreleased songs

"I Am Trying to Make a Film" making-of featurette

40-page booklet: Filmmaker's diary, exclusive photos, and liner notes from Rolling Stone's David Fricke

I will enjoy it.

Still waiting for a definite Solaris release date...all i see is some time in April.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffinBefore Spike Jonze directed the quirky and acclaimed Adaptationa dn Being John Malkovich, his originality and humor first surfaced in music videos and other projects that can now be seen together for the first time. A new directors' series of three DVDs from Palm Pictures will spotlight Jonze's past work and the music videos, commercials and short films that defined two other ground-breaking directors: Michel Gondry and Chris Cunningham. Launching in August, the discs will be packed with special features such as interviews, storyboards, alternate versions, documentaries and commentaries that will give special insight into the directors' styles. The Jonze disc will contain, among other things, music videos for the award-winning Fatboy Slim "Weapon Of Choice," Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet," Weezer's "Buddy Holly," and the Beastie Boys' "Sagotage." All will also include artist commentaries.

Holy mother of God. I am about to shit my pants right now. "LITERALLY!"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Recce

Does anyone know if there's an official release date for the Goodfellas Special Edition yet? I can't wait much longer, I'll end up buying the barebones version, dammit.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")