No special features except crap!

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, August 05, 2003, 05:27:16 PM

Ravi

Quote from: AlexandroI know a lot of people don't care but I hate that they don't put subtitles on many languages in a lot od region 1 dvds, like the criterion dvds...I mean why???? Don't they know is IMPOSSIBLE to find Rashomon or something like that on any pother region and that it would be cool to have subtitles in language other than english??? I don't mind it myself, I mean I speak english, but sometimes I wanna show a film to some one and they won't see it cuase it doesn't have spanish subtitles and they wouldn't understand it....

Magnolia, for example, the region 1 disc doesn't have spanish subtitles, and guess what?? so far ther eis no magnolia region 4 dvd...

that sucks...I mean how much can that actually cost to the makers of this discs...???

Perhaps the studios that license a film to Criterion only want them to include English subtitles so they can issue their own discs in other regions.

Banky

Quote from: Pas RapportThe first time I saw Goodfellas it was on this DVD, and I started with Part 2, cause there really is no way to know if you're even remotely drunk... I was telling my friends : "It says on the back it covers the life of a gangster from his childhood, so it's normal if it doesn't make sense right now, there'll be a flashback soon..." And when the credits rolled they all wanted to punch me. It was a sad day.

i rented Goodfellas once and the same thing happened.  I didnt realize it was double sided so i just watched the whole second half.  I fell asleep and never saw the firs half.

Alexandro

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: AlexandroI know a lot of people don't care but I hate that they don't put subtitles on many languages in a lot od region 1 dvds, like the criterion dvds...I mean why???? Don't they know is IMPOSSIBLE to find Rashomon or something like that on any pother region and that it would be cool to have subtitles in language other than english??? I don't mind it myself, I mean I speak english, but sometimes I wanna show a film to some one and they won't see it cuase it doesn't have spanish subtitles and they wouldn't understand it....

Magnolia, for example, the region 1 disc doesn't have spanish subtitles, and guess what?? so far ther eis no magnolia region 4 dvd...

that sucks...I mean how much can that actually cost to the makers of this discs...???

Perhaps the studios that license a film to Criterion only want them to include English subtitles so they can issue their own discs in other regions.

That's a reasonable explanation...but the problem is...WHERE ARE THEY??? Frankly, if art films are not very profitable in the US and EUROPE, in Mexico and a lot of other countries this films are virtually uknown in the sense that, most people won't buy them. I think they should just put them on every language they can, just in case. In fact, this whole Region shit is crap if you ask me...I just don't understand it...

Just Withnail

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: Pas RapportThe first time I saw Goodfellas it was on this DVD, and I started with Part 2, cause there really is no way to know if you're even remotely drunk... I was telling my friends : "It says on the back it covers the life of a gangster from his childhood, so it's normal if it doesn't make sense right now, there'll be a flashback soon..." And when the credits rolled they all wanted to punch me. It was a sad day.

i rented Goodfellas once and the same thing happened.  I didnt realize it was double sided so i just watched the whole second half.  I fell asleep and never saw the firs half.

Count me in as a third. I have to say, it made a real interesting movie experience, watching the first half, after knowing the whole ending. Not really easy to follow, but it sure beat Memento.