Rolling Stones

Started by modage, July 31, 2003, 06:04:41 PM

modage

wait.  this doesnt exist.

i mean, i know they're not good anymore or relevant, but theres really no reason for this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

OmegaSlacker

First Aerosmith, now the Stones.

Is there no match for the power that is Timberlake?
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Sigur Rós

Give Justin a break and admit he's fuckin' talented. Just because he gets all the chicks.....

OmegaSlacker

Quote from: Sigur Rós ©Give Justin a break and admit he's fuckin' talented. Just because he gets all the chicks.....
I wasn't being sarcastic. Like his music or not, the guy is talented and he appeals to a wide audience.

And yes, like Sigur said, I will give him credit because of all the chicks he's linked to.  First he's got Britney Spears and then they split. Britney's going to be hard to top.....so he goes and gets Janet Jackson and the really good looking girl from one of his videos.  How's he going to top that? Cameron Diaz. Granted, she might not do it for everyone, but she works for me.

Give the guy credit. From Mouseketeer to nailing more hot celebs than Hef. The kids got skills.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: OmegaSlacker
Quote from: Sigur Rós ©Give Justin a break and admit he's fuckin' talented. Just because he gets all the chicks.....
I wasn't being sarcastic. Like his music or not, the guy is talented and he appeals to a wide audience.

And yes, like Sigur said, I will give him credit because of all the chicks he's linked to.  First he's got Britney Spears and then they split. Britney's going to be hard to top.....so he goes and gets Janet Jackson and the really good looking girl from one of his videos.  How's he going to top that? Cameron Diaz. Granted, she might not do it for everyone, but she works for me.

Give the guy credit. From Mouseketeer to nailing more hot celebs than Hef. The kids got skills.

Amen! OmegaSlacker I will mention you on my next 'people-i-like'-list!  :wink:

SoNowThen

Regardless of how "talented" you think he is, he should not be sharing a stage with the Stones. Yet here we have it. Keith must be finally feeling old, because back in the day he would've punched out Justin, then punched out Mick for even considering it. How do you go from sharing the stage with Bob Dylan and BB King, to this dink?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

If there's one thing The Stones aren't it's talented. I've watched some of their old shows on DVD, and what really shocked me was that none of them could play. It was fuckin' untight, and Jagger sang like shit. I'll admit that I've never been a Stones fan, I find there songs average and their lyrics naive and stupid. Not to mention Keith and Jagger who always acts like total fools on and off stage. Why all this hype about Stones why not bands like Kinks, Jethro Tull and Love which in my oppinion are much more interresting. I would never call Stones talented!

I just had to say this....

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

I've always wanted to dig the stones....but I always have perferred the beatles.

SoNowThen, since I love you, would you please reccomend a few that might tickle my fancy?  As of now I dig "under my thumb" and "paint it black"....i'm naive to their work i know, but id 'preciate any rec.s

BWAH!

Sleuth

I'm not big on them either, but one of the songs I like is Sympathy for the Devil
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pedro the WombatSoNowThen, since I love you, would you please reccomend a few that might tickle my fancy?  As of now I dig "under my thumb" and "paint it black"....i'm naive to their work i know, but id 'preciate any rec.s

I say, any listed in this thread:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2359
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Dirk

If I had to choose one, I'd download "Gimme Shelter"  :yabbse-thumbup:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

SoNowThen

some say the greatest rock song ever recorded

I would be hard pressed to not agree (unless I'm in a Sympathy mood, in that case Gimme can be #2)...

Sigur Rós

Quote from: tremoloslothI'm not big on them either, but one of the songs I like is Sympathy for the Devil

I agree though I like the Brian Ferry version better.

MacGuffin

Godard's 'Sympathy for the Devil' Set for DVD

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - French director Jean-Luc Godard's 1968 film "Sympathy for the Devil," an avant-garde work best known for its in-studio footage of the Rolling Stones working on their song of the same name, is coming out on DVD on Oct. 21, a spokesman said on Tuesday.

Rights to the film are owned by the Stones' former label, ABKCO Records, which recently has been busy releasing the group's "40 Licks" retrospective in partnership with Virgin Records, as well as a series of "Sympathy" remixes by various hot-shot producers. A source said the group's "Rock and Roll Circus" TV special is expected to be issued on DVD sometime next year.

The "Sympathy for the Devil" DVD, which incorporates high-definition transfers from the original negatives, will include the original trailer and a contemporary "Sympathy" video clip cut to the remix from producing duo the Neptunes, the spokesman said.

The film, an examination of western counter-culture, features frequent cuts to London's Olympic Studios, where singer Mick Jagger was leading his bandmates through a recording of "Sympathy," a rock epic steeped in historical and philosophical references. As Godard's cameras roll, the song starts off as a country ditty and ends up as a samba rhythm.

"We just happened to be recording that song," Jagger told Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner in 1995. "We could have been recording (the obscure 1967 album track) 'My Obsession.' But it was 'Sympathy for the Devil,' and it became the track that we used."

The Rolling Stones are currently on the road in Europe with four dates left on their year-long "Licks" world tour. Rumors that they will play China and Hong Kong in November remain unconfirmed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks