5 of the best cartoons ever coming to DVD

Started by ShanghaiOrange, July 29, 2003, 10:17:25 PM

ono

Quote from: SHAFTRI used to watch the Critic but I didn't know much about movies at that time and perhaps I should give it another round.
Oh, definitely.  It's funny as it is, but it REALLY excels as a comedy the more and more you know about films.  The more films I watch, the more jokes and references I find, and I still find new stuff every now and then these days.

tpfkabi

the other day i was wondering if some of these Disney shorts have been released in any way:

The Ugly Duckling
Peter and the Wolf
the one where Mickey goes through the mirror and fights a deck of cards
the one with ghosts and a haunted house

i know, lame descriptions, but i have no idea on titles.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: bigideasthe other day i was wondering if some of these Disney shorts have been released in any way:

..... (snip) ....
the one where Mickey goes through the mirror and fights a deck of cards
the one with ghosts and a haunted house

i know, lame descriptions, but i have no idea on titles.

The second one is a cartoon from 1937 called "Lonesome Ghosts," and it's great stuff. Mickey, Donald and Goofy as the original Ghostbusters.

I believe the first one might be "Thru the Mirror," but I don't know for sure.

Both "Lonesome Ghosts" and "Thru the Mirror" are among the 25 or so cartoons on a DVD called "Walt Disney Treasures - Mickey Mouse in Living Color." I'm not sure if this is still "in print," (you know how Disney likes to have limited releases  :(   ) so you might have to do a little searching around for it.

As an old-person aside, the reason I remember Lonesome Ghosts so well is that, in the 1970s, there was a groovy toy called the Fisher-Price Movie Viewer. ... You could slide in these yellow plastic cartridges (Lonesome Ghosts was one) and watch cartoons and shorts -- forward or backward, frame by frame -- by turning a crank on the side of the Movie Viewer. It was awesome! You really learned to appreciate the animation, as a kid, by watching the cartoons slowly, frame by frame, to see exactly how much movement took place between each animated cel.

tpfkabi

thanks.

it(the viewer) was still quite popular when i was growing up in the 80's. i was describing the cartoon to my friend and he had the same slide show.

no idea on the first two?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Lucinda BryteDoes anyone else think that Family Guy sucks?

Pox on you.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

freakerdude

Isn't anyone else on here into ATHF? I like it better then the Brak Show and Space Ghost.

Season 1 DVD to be released on Nov. 18. Click here if you want to save $4 from amazon's 25.50 price......both with free shipping.

MC Pee Pants

meatwad

i've been into hunger force for a while, but i still think brak is better

RegularKarate

ATHF is way better than Brak (which is good too), it's more original and less hanging on to old humor from Space Ghost C2C

modage

apparently the release date has changed...

Title: The Critic: The Entire Series
Starring: Jon Lovitz
Released: 27th January 2004
SRP: $49.95

Further Details
The final announcement from Columbia Tristar today is for the up and coming region one release of The Critic: The Entire Series which features the voice of Jon Lovitz. This hilarious animated sitcom is by the makers of the hit series The Simpsons and will arrive in a three disc package from the 27th January next year. The retail price will be set at around $49.95. The extra features include clip compilations, eight episode commentaries and a brand new featurette.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: freakerdudeIsn't anyone else on here into ATHF? I like it better then the Brak Show and Space Ghost.

Season 1 DVD to be released on Nov. 18. Click here if you want to save $4 from amazon's 25.50 price......both with free shipping.

Anyone have a place I can go to download an episode.  I've seen only one and loved it, I would like to watch a couple more before I decide on the dvd.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

freakerdude

Quote from: SHAFTRAnyone have a place I can go to download an episode.  I've seen only one and loved it, I would like to watch a couple more before I decide on the dvd.
It's on Adult Swim every Sunday night. They just moved ATHF's time slot from 11:45pm to 11:00pm as the opener.

These guys at the ATHF forum can help you but they can be freaking rude and crude!
MC Pee Pants

SHAFTR

Quote from: freakerdude
Quote from: SHAFTRAnyone have a place I can go to download an episode.  I've seen only one and loved it, I would like to watch a couple more before I decide on the dvd.
It's on Adult Swim every Sunday night. They just moved ATHF's time slot from 11:45pm to 11:00pm as the opener.

These guys at the ATHF forum can help you but they can be freaking rude and crude!

is that eastern or central times?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: themodernage02apparently the release date has changed...

Further Details
The final announcement from Columbia Tristar today is for the up and coming region one release of The Critic: The Entire Series which features the voice of Jon Lovitz. This hilarious animated sitcom is by the makers of the hit series The Simpsons and will arrive in a three disc package from the 27th January next year. The retail price will be set at around $49.95. The extra features include clip compilations, eight episode commentaries and a brand new featurette.

There is a God!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

freakerdude

Quote from: SHAFTRis that eastern or central times?
It's EST and you can always record it.

Click on this if you want to check out the schedule. The newer ATHFs have not been as good as seasons 1 and 2, IMO.
MC Pee Pants

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02apparently the release date has changed...

Further Details