ong bak

Started by pete, July 24, 2003, 01:10:06 AM

pete

this is a thai movie that took three years to make, boasting authentic muay thai techniques and crazy crazy stunts.  I'd just seen it and must say, that dude's got moves.
some clips:
http://sawatdee.free.fr/generationvideo/ongbak/ongbak_en.htm
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

oh a new trailer or something I dunno.
- Buster Keaton

citizenaniki

I have actually had this movie for a few months now, but have never got around to watching it.  Perhaps the fact that their are no english subs on the legit thai disc is why.

Supposedly the fight scenes are something really special.

Ravi

meatball

I saw this one. There are some juicy hits in this.

Three years to make though? Damn.

pete

Quote from: citizenanikiI have actually had this movie for a few months now, but have never got around to watching it.  Perhaps the fact that their are no english subs on the legit thai disc is why.

Supposedly the fight scenes are something really special.

the fight scenes are incredible, not because of the choreography or whatever, but just becuase that guy can do pretty much anything, with no wires or digital effects.
I got the subtitled version for 13 bucks on ebay, it's got a load of extras including audition footages, video storyboard/ film comparison, demo reels...etc.
as soon as the stuntpeople site is back up, I'll post some pictures, I dunno what's wrong with their website (www.neo-modus.com/stuntpeople) today.

but citizenaniki, you really should just skip around to the first chase scene and fight scene--I actually never sat through the film myself, just saw the fight scenes over and over again.

edit: here is a review with a lot of pictures and stuff.

http://www.neo-modus.com/stuntpeople/articles/ongbak.htm[/img]
- Buster Keaton

pete

okay, trying to promote this one more time...see if it'll work this time.

the trailer talks a little shit ("bruce lee is dead"...) and has that cheesy guy talking over it, but wait 'til the second half of the trailer when they show the moves and the stunts!
- Buster Keaton

wow, what a boring trailer. i fell asleep while i was watching it and woke up just to post this.  

seriously,  wow.
context, context, context.

Just Withnail

I think the trailervoiceguy on this needs to be redirected to the "What makes pretention?" thread.

pete

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=5379744

it's hitting the US theaters in november, then and only then will you guys jump on the badass wagon.
- Buster Keaton

rustinglass

It's playing over here, is it really worth paying money to see?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

pete

it's a pretty badass action film, and you probably won't find action sequences more spectacular than the ones in this film.  but I dunno, if you're not impressed with stuff like that I guess you should pass.  though I still think you should give it a chance.  go with a few dudes.
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

born to fight trailer

this is the next movie made by the same director/ stunt crew.  crazy crazy action.  CRAZY.
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

I'm going to see this one this weekend.  It looks awesome.