Nurse Betty

Started by oakmanc234, July 17, 2003, 12:05:42 AM

oakmanc234

I was watching this the other day and it's got me thinking what an oddity it is. It holds the appearance of a offbeat romatic comedy (what with Zellweger and that musical score) yet it's incredibly Tarantino-ish (the dialogue, the violence). Zellweger was adorable even if the syrupy mannerisms got a tad annoying. Morgan Freeman was great as the love-struck hitman, showing that he can play edgy characters as effectively as he plays heroes. Same with Chris Rock (who was the real eye-opener here) as Wesley, the loose-cannon son with a short temper. It's the only thing from LaBute that I've really enjoyed, I hope he does more flicks like this (not like 'Possession').
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

godardian

I rember it being something of a letdown after the first two LaBute films, which I love. It just didn't have the zesty misanthropy of those, though I think he did try... wasn't his story, so. I'm sure I was much harder on it for being a LaBute film. I'd be willing to give it another go. Was not terribly impressed the first time. Chris Rock is worth seeing in something that at least tries to have a little meat on its bones, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

I saw this movie a few years ago in theatres just because I was bored one night and it was playing...I knew nothing about it except for the cast.  The movie was completely what I wasn't expecting and I really did enjoy it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

I was already a huge LaBute fan when I saw this, and I was pleased to see him take this different direction. If he had followed up Your Friends And Neighbors with something like The Shape Of Things, I think he might have been pidgeonholed too quickly as a one trick filmmaker. With this (and to a lesser extent with Possession, which still did have some good points), he showed that he can -- and has interest in -- tackling different styles and subjects, adn that he can do it well too.

I'd like to see some more of his stage work.

MacGuffin

I really loved this movie. LaBute sets a tone that is the right balance between the darkness and quirkiness of the story. And I thought Renee played this character perfectly, and I was so glad when she won the Golden Globe for this part. She deserved it and should have been nominated for an Oscar.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I loved this movie too, and I wasn't really sure why. You're so right about the tone... it makes every scene with Zellwegger magical... and I don't think she can ever pull of something like this again. Chicago marks the end of her career, in an ironic way.