Apple laptops for editing?

Started by mindfuck, July 10, 2003, 07:36:16 PM

mindfuck

Anyone use a laptop for editing (FCP, etc)? I'm seriously considering purchasing one of the G4 Powerbooks soon (now that the G5 is out I'm expecting the G4s to drop in price), but I want to know how well it performs with some of this heavy processor stuff.

Cecil

you should be fine. they almost have the same specs as my powermac (well, the low-end anyway). youll probably need an ext firewire hard drive if you need more hd space, and more ram. 512 is the minimum to rock.

aclockworkjj

mutinyco

I've been using a PowerBook G4 for 2 years. Very happy.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: aclockworkjjand only 1" thick.....

I'm sure there is a joke somewhere in this line...  :lol:

Nick

aclockworkjj

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: aclockworkjjand only 1" thick.....

I'm sure there is a joke somewhere in this line...  :lol:

Nick

I just remember going to Fry's and they were using the fact that the Powerbook is only an inch thick as a major bullet piont in pushing the sale....I found it amuzing....screw the capacity, speed, and stabiliy, it's only an inch thick...shit, I need one.

TheVoiceOfNick

I think that with Apple, it's a no-brainer that the performance is going to be there... they are so secure in themselves, that they don't even have to advertise the technical qualities of the laptop... they can focus on what differenciates themselves from the PCs... the style.

Nick

SoNowThen

Not that I know dick all about computers, but when I edited my last short, I was at the major post house my province. I had the two senior tech guys in the room attending to my project (and in this place they had both apples and pc). I asked them "so people always say pc is such shit, blah blah, mac is where it's at, wadda you think", and they both said that it was BS, and that they thought pc was way better, at least as far as we were concerned.

So I like to cite this to people who go on about mac... it's funny to watch them get all worked up.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenNot that I know dick all about computers, but when I edited my last short, I was at the major post house my province. I had the two senior tech guys in the room attending to my project (and in this place they had both apples and pc). I asked them "so people always say pc is such shit, blah blah, mac is where it's at, wadda you think", and they both said that it was BS, and that they thought pc was way better, at least as far as we were concerned.

So I like to cite this to people who go on about mac... it's funny to watch them get all worked up.

The Mac Coordinator/Networking guy at my work has a T-shit that just says...."Got Mac?"

....what a fag.

TheVoiceOfNick

Before this rages into a the all-too-often-occuring mac vs. another platform... now a days it really doesn't matter what platform you use... as long as you're comfortable with it, you can pretty much do anything on any platform.

Nick

mutinyco

Yes, you could use either. The main difference, I suppose, is that Macs are made with the assumption that they'll be used in some creative endeavor. I just find they're smoother, more intuitive.

Also, not to be a dick, but if you go out in public with your Titanium PowerBook, it's a bit of a status symbol. People will always notice it.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Xixax

"I edited my latest feature at that table right there..."
(points to an empty chair across the street at Starbucks)

Mac nerds.

Do they make dual processor notebooks yet? Dual processors are so great for video work.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

mutinyco

Considering that you can get notebooks with 1 GHZ processors and 1 GB of RAM, how much more do you REALLY need?

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Xixax"I edited my latest feature at that table right there..."
(points to an empty chair across the street at Starbucks)

Mac nerds.

Do they make dual processor notebooks yet? Dual processors are so great for video work.

I am thinking with the new G5's coming out....they will probably also release the new powerbooks with something crazy such as this.....

Damn, I want one.

mutinyco

Apple brilliantly plays on everybody's small dick inadequacies. They're constantly upgrading their systems, so even if you think you got a hot machine, as soon as you get it you wish you'd waited.

-St. Joe