Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith

Started by modage, June 24, 2003, 06:14:37 PM

Stefen

you guys remember when you saw the episode 1 teaser for the first time? I do, man, i was stoked. these movies have been bad and people have panned them but they have been alot of fun, its almost like people were expecting them to be the greatest cinematic achievements of all time. the original trilogy is bad too but its fun so people like them, the same should be said about the prequels. a young obi wan is the best thing about the series I think.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Just Withnail

I cannot even begin to review this film right now. Everything needs to be sorted out, which will probably end up with my eventual review getting lost inbeween a thousand others. Yet I feel obligated to do one. I'll probably delay it until my second viewing on saturday.

That review, though, will almost definitely be a positive one. I'm just so, so thankfull it's tragic, sincerly tragic. Every single aspect, be it acting, writing, editing, is improved upon from the last two. In my opinion, as pubrick said, it's better than Jedi. By a long shot actually. Fuck, this is growing into a review. I'm tired, and school's in a few hours.

squints

I'm just going to say that i think Yoda stole the show. I would've like to have seen more wookies and more grievous but dammit i can't complain, the movie was incredible. Now I can't wait for the theater to open tomorrow so i can see it again.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

I feel asleep. It was like watching intergalactic C-SPAN.
WWPTAD?

Chrisdarko

I really liked it. The dialog was bad (of course) but there wasn't a lot of it. I think this is certanly the best of the prequals but that goes without saying they have all been building up to this.

and i can't wait for the next one

SHAFTR

What a disappointment.  I'd say this is better than Phantom Menace but worse than Attack of the Clones.  I'm a Star Wars geek and I still feel a lot of excitement and emotion watching the original trilogy, this film left me feeling nothing.  I wasn't excited or happy or sad or surprised or anything during the entire film.  

Once again, any scene between Padme and Anakin is terrible.  Expect laughter to occur either by you or others during these scenes.

The action sequences are bigger and faster but far from being good.  Instead we are left with action sequences that are average, they are the same fast cut cgi filled action sequences that fill every other action film the past years (a la Blade Trinity).  The result isn't suspense, but disorientation.

There is a lot of lightsaber fights, but nothing that stands out like the fights in the Original trilogy or the final one in Phantom Menace.  It seems that all the grace of lightsaber battles have been taken out and we are left with battles that rely on lots of backflips and swinging the saber as fast and hard as possible.  Also, most of these sequences are shot in primarily close-up.

Emperor Palaptine comes off as a big joke.  In fact, a lot of the serious stuff in this film comes off this way.  Palaptine isn't scary, he is just goofy.  The same goes for Vader's entrance.

I've read well over 20 star wars novels over my lifetime and loved all of them.  I realized that the reason those stories are so good is because they were written by people who truly loved Star Wars and it's characters.  That is the problem with the prequels, I truly doubt if Lucas loves Star Wars like his fans do.  To him, the films are just dollars signs and marketing vehicles.

Lucas has raped me for hundreds and hundreds of dollars over the years.  Today I willingly gave up my last few dollars to him.  Our relationship is now, finally, over.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

This is the best movie I've ever seen in my life, ever (reason will come with the dawn).

I have a ticket to see it again in three and a half hours, but I'm not going. It was emotionally draining. In the best possible way.

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, I loved it.  Like I've read others say, the end made me immediately want to go rewatch IV (which I probably will do in a few minutes).  I expected it to be a bit heavy considering the subject matter, but damn, aside from the R2 antics up front, there's nary a laugh (well, intentional) to be found.  

And how long was that opening shot?  Niiiiiiice stuff.

I need to see this again.  And get some sleep.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Ghostboy
I have a ticket to see it again in three and a half hours, but I'm not going. It was emotionally draining. In the best possible way.

Never mind. Can't sleep. Back to the theater I go...this time to see it in DLP.

Pubrick

fine.. a review u will read:

worked
visual effects
thematic arc
the last 20mins

failed
obi-wan's superman entrance
dialogue
darth vader's NOOOOOOO

winner
portman's face.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

Quote from: SHAFTRWhat a disappointment.  I'd say this is better than Phantom Menace but worse than Attack of the Clones.
Phantom Menace < Attack of the Clones? This opinion confuses me.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Dtm115300

Very simply, just like everyone said already. The whole movie was good. But Lucas couldn't write a god damn sentence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also The scene with Mace and the sith lord was just fucking funny as hell. Hearing him be like " O please NO NO NO don't kill me." It kinda fucking up Anikins fall to the darkside.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The movie wasn't bad, i just think i was expecting more.

I would give it 3 out of 5 stars

pete

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkI feel asleep. It was like watching intergalactic C-SPAN.

hmm, that's funny, 'cause

Quote from: roger ebertit played like the Republic covered by C-Span
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Quote from: GhostboyThis is the best movie I've ever seen in my life, ever (reason will come with the dawn).
hahah!  i love you!  

quick review: easily EASILY the best of the prequels, which suck balls (as i noticed rewatching both of them recently) but still nowhere near the stratosphere of greatness of the original trilogy.  although this one does kick ass.  i need to see it again, RIGHT AWAY!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

My review (no spoilers):

Being a casual fan, what I appreciate most about the prequels (particulalrly ROTS) is how they have enhanced the original trilogy. Although I see the prequels as completely seperate, inferior entities I'm extremely glad I've seen them.

I see them as being a cinematic first. The memory of the prequels, although very recent, becomes a shared history with the charatcters of the original trilogy. This seems very simple I suppose i.e. the beginning was bound to benefit the middle more than the other way around but its a pretty fascinating cinematic example.

I still have the same issues with the special effects - the over reliance on CGI was in some places completely bizzare (the commanders head tracked on a cgi bodyand some sets looking completely plastic).

The final shot only managed to conjour half of the power of the original it paid homage to and that pretty much sums up the whole thing for me. I left the cinema kind of sad and I couldn't figure out whether that was because of how sad the film was or how sad I was that I hadn't loved it that much. A bit of both I expect and all the same I look back at the prequels suprisingly fondly - my childhood memories of the originals were not scarred (being only fourteen when the Phantom Menace was released) and despite all the issues I have with them its only the few electrifying moments that they're responsible for that I remember.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas