Project Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2003, 09:22:56 AM

lamas

My impressions from last night's episode:

-all the screenwriters looked like they wrote their life's story (i.e. the motherless nanny writer looked like some old haggard broad...)
-were the two authors of "Cheeks" witches?  
-the writer of prisoner seemed REALLY fucked up
-I think the selections were horrible
-the director team looks so corny.  after the inital sight of watching that dog get hit, their film was just gimmicky as hell.  their directing looks very amateurish.  of course this is all based on what they allowed us to see...

Pubrick

Quote from: lamas-the director team looks so corny.  after the inital sight of watching that dog get hit, their film was just gimmicky as hell.  their directing looks very amateurish.  of course this is all based on what they allowed us to see...
having never seen this show, from what i've read about it, that's my general impression of the whole thing.

it sounds like an american idol film thing.
under the paving stones.

Sal

What was that lopez shit for.  Honestly.

lamas

I'm so sick of that no-talent ho.  She and Affleck are perfect together.

MacGuffin

Quote from: lamas-the writer of prisoner seemed REALLY fucked up

for real tho.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

I was really disappointed that the chick that wanted that one movie so bad didn't get it.

After seeing her passion, it was like everyone else there was just a whore. She was ready to die for the script she fell in love with and they gave it to someone else.

Disappointing selection of directors, indeed.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

I only watched the second half, but that chick that Xixax felt bad for... I was pretty glad she didn't win.

She kept calling the script her "baby", but she didn't fucking write it or anything, she was just trying to go for an angle she thought would impress the judges, it was such fake compassion.

I was just glad they didn't pick "Cheeks".

I get the feeling that there is a lot of Blockbuster influence with this one.  I just don't know about the screenplay choice.  The director choice doesn't bug me as much as others.

Xixax

Interesting perpective, RK. I am gullible enough to assume that someone's passion is authentic.

I still say if it was authentic, that she'd have rocked the project.

The two dudes that won would have been my last choice. Thank God Prisoner didn't win.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

EL__SCORCHO

Did anyone catch the previews for next week's show? I saw a clip where the 2 directors had a meeting with a possible actress and they just sat there saying nothing. What a couple of dorks!

Xixax

Ya, I saw that. I try to keep a balance realizing that reality TV has to create tension so sometimes things may not be as they appear.

But still, those dudes are dorks.

I'm hoping that by the end of the series, I will come to like them, as I did the director last year.

By the way for those who have actually seen Stolen Summer... Would you not agree - what a terrible movie?!?
[/size]

MacGuffin

I can't believe these guys have the balls to ask for a car, tell a DP candidate to stop interrupting them, try to forego an editor and art director and, yet, not speak up at a script notes meeting and talk to an actress candidate. These guys are too caught up in the 'director as God' mentality and all the power they think they have, but no wanting to do what's required of the job. At the same time, I really do think the casting director was patronizing them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

These guys just keep getting more power hungry. Now they wanna take over the writer's job and do their own draft of the script?! What control freaks.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mindfuck

My summary so far:

The directors are clueless.
I want to have sexual intercourse with the writer.
The casting director guy is a dickhole.
Ben and Matt do jack shit for this "project".

After watching all the director submissions on projectgreenlight.com I've come to the conclusion that they picked the directors that would cause the most conflict (a la Real World) to make the show better. They certainly didn't pick the ones with the most talent or originality.

Also, if you have the time go read the screenplay for The Battle of Shaker Heights on projectgreenlight.com . It's much more fun watching the show knowing the story they are trying to turn into a film.

Gold Trumpet

From seeing only the first episode, which looked at all hopefuls......

Am I the only one who didn't see much talent in the directors that much and the shorts they submitted. The person who did the retelling of the JFK assasination did his short with some maturity, meaning he went straight cut and just shot the information in the shot. All others felt immature and trying to impede gimmickry upon their directing. The directing contest felt just as much as a writing contest and prolly even more so. I say writing in being that it is the job of the writer to imagine a scenairo that would be smart and meaningful.

The comment that stuck out with me was one of the producers of the show commenting that the piece done by the girl, the tracking shot of the party and random people talking, was one of the best tracking shots he'd ever seen in a movie. The only noticeable thing for me about the shot was the zooming of the camera between people talking and nothing else. That wasn't very impressive because it didn't do much to add upon a lame idea on how to use that dialogue given considering the obvious idea of it is just random words anyways.

~rougerum

mindfuck

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Am I the only one who didn't see much talent in the directors that much and the shorts they submitted. The person who did the retelling of the JFK assasination did his short with some maturity, meaning he went straight cut and just shot the information in the shot. All others felt immature and trying to impede gimmickry upon their directing.

I completely agree. The entry by Dagen Merrill (JFK one) showcased the best talent as well as the cleanest adaptation of the material. Every other submission felt like there was at least one or two random lines thrown into the story because they didn't know how to handle it. Complete hack-jobs.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
The comment that stuck out with me was one of the producers of the show commenting that the piece done by the girl, the tracking shot of the party and random people talking, was one of the best tracking shots he'd ever seen in a movie. The only noticeable thing for me about the shot was the zooming of the camera between people talking and nothing else. That wasn't very impressive because it didn't do much to add upon a lame idea on how to use that dialogue given considering the obvious idea of it is just random words anyways.

Heh, I laughed when he said that. Go figure, he's a producer. It really was a pretty lame attempt... especially since it ended with a completely cheesy alien entrance and a shitty attempt at humor.