JAMES CAMERON

Started by modage, June 19, 2003, 01:30:18 PM

MacGuffin

James Cameron Adapting 'True Lies' For TV
By NELLIE ANDREEVA; Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: After smashing box office records with Titanic, James Cameron segued to television with a primetime series. Now, after topping Titanic's record haul with Avatar, Cameron is returning to TV with what is one of the hottest projects this development season: a TV series take on his 1994 action comedy True Lies that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. I hear the project, from Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and 20th Century Fox TV, is about to be taken out to the networks. Rene Echevarria is the writer/showrunner, exec producing with Cameron and Lightstorm's Rae Sanchini and Jon Landau. The 1994 movie centered on Harry Tasker (Schwarzenegger), a computer salesman/family man who lives a double life as a government spy. During a top-secret mission, Harry discovers that his mousy wife Helen (Curtis), is seeking adventure. Harry sets out to give her the excitement she craves while battling Middle Eastern terrorists who threaten nuclear war with the U.S.

After Titanic, which nabbed 11 Oscars, Cameron co-created and exec produced his first and only TV series to date, Fox's sci-fi drama Dark Angel starring Jessica Alba. Echevarria worked on the show for its entire 2-season run, first as a co-executive producer and then as an exec producer. Lightstorm president Sanchini also served as a producer on the series. Echevarria, who co-created/executive produced the USA Network series The 4400, most recently served as an exec producer/co-showrunner on ABC's crime dramedy Castle and also exec produces the upcoming MTV series Teen Wolf.

On the feature side, Cameron is considering several projects, including Avatar sequel(s), Battle Angel and The Dive. But 16 years after its release, True Lies continues to be a fan favorite, with speculation about a potential sequel never dying. Cameron wrote and directed the movie, which was based on the 1991 French film La totale! penned by Claude Zidi, Didier Kaminka and Simon Michael. The trio shared screenplay credit with Cameron on the Hollywood adaptation. Like Titanic and Avatar, True Lies was at the time the most expensive movie ever made, rumored to be in the $100M-$120M range. True Lies also marked the first Lightstorm project to be distributed under Cameron's multi-million dollar production deal with 20th TV's sibling movie studio Fox.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

My hopes for a tv adaption for "Pirhana 2" is forever dashed.

Stefen

Quote from: Mogwai on September 16, 2010, 10:29:45 AM
My hopes for a tv adaption for "Pirhana 2" is forever dashed.

Piranha underwater and in 3D? Xixax would actually watch it then argue about who spoiled it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

James Cameron & Angelina Jolie In Talks To Make 3D 'Cleopatra'
Source: The Playlist

The last we heard about Angelina Jolie and the "Cleopatra" project that surfaced earlier this year she said, "....if we can get the story right and do the real story —there's a lot her that's never been covered yet, if we can do something original, we will." And it looks like they've found a way. Deadline reports that serious talks are underway for James Cameron to direct Angelina Jolie in a 3D "Cleopatra." The impetus for the sudden movement on the project? Brian Helgeland's adaptation of Stacy Schiff's recently published "Cleopatra: A Life" is being described as a "brilliant script deserving of epic treatment" all about "what the Romans took from Egypt." Sony co-chair Amy Pascal is eager to get this one going, well aware of the cost of such an undertaking, but willing to dive in if only to "own" the franchise that is Angelina Jolie herself (remember, the studio also released "Salt" earlier this year). As for James Cameron, while he does have a handful of projects on his plate (including the long gestating "The Dive"), this is apparently the only project he's taking a hard look at other than the developing "Avatar" sequel. Producer Scott Rudin, who acquired the rights to Stacy Schiff's book, has been working with Jolie in developing the project. If it goes forward plans are to get it in front of cameras in 2011. And if it does, it mostly likely means Steven Soderbergh's adventurous, musical "Cleopatra" will have to be shelved for a long while (it was nearly made in early 2009 before Hugh Jackman pulled out causing the production to come apart like a house of cards). While dueling projects are not rare in Hollywood, Steven Soderbergh is not likely to play chicken with James Cameron (and the two are sort of buds anyway, with Cameron producing "Solaris"). So, the next great 3D achievement by James Cameron or another hugely expensive, cautionary tale (let's not forget the lurid story of Liz Taylor's "Cleopatra" which nearly bankrupted 20th Century Fox)? Guess we'll soon find out.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

James Cameron Reaches Ocean's Deepest Point, 7 Miles Below

The very barren bottom of the Mariana Trench has a visitor tonight: filmmaker James Cameron. After years of preparation, Cameron has descended 35,756 feet (10,898 meters) beneath the ocean's surface in his 12-ton lime-green submarine called "Deepsea Challenger."

It's a mission filled with near-constant danger. The 6.8-mile (10.94-km) deep trench allows not a hint of sunlight from above, is just a few degrees above freezing temperature, and will put eight tons of pressure per square inch on the filmmaker. That's equivalent to three SUVs sitting on your toe, researchers have determined.

In fact, everything about Cameron's dive is at a nearly incomprehensible scale. The trench is 120 times larger than the Grand Canyon and is more than a mile deeper than Mount Everest is tall.

The Titanic director's solo journey to the ocean's deepest point took nearly three hours. He departed at 5:15 a.m. Monday local time from a starting point 200 miles southwest of the Pacific island of Guam. He touched down at 7:52 a.m. local time (5:52 p.m. Sunday Eastern time), according to the National Geographic Society. His Twitter account reflected the incredible feat:

Just arrived at the ocean's deepest pt. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing w/ you @DeepChallenge

Only two men have preceded him in the highly dangerous mission. U.S. Navy Lt. Don Walsh and Swiss oceanographer Jacques Piccard made the dive in 1960, spending only 20 minutes at the bottom. Worse yet, they could hardly see anything after their rough landing kicked up sand from the sea floor.

But Cameron is planning a much longer stay. His 24-foot-long (7-meter-long) custom-built "vertical torpedo" is armed with enough oxygen and personal resources for a six-hour exploratory mission. The submarine is outfitted with so many lights and 3-D cameras that it's been described as an underwater TV studio. And while Cameron might be alone at such unfathomable depths, he plans to share his experience with the masses by releasing a documentary. He's also collecting rocks and soil samples to assist with scientific research.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/25/james-cameron-reaches-oceans-deepest-point-7-miles-below/

mogwai

Someone please put him under suicide watch so I can enjoy Avatar 2.

MacGuffin

James Cameron confirms he will begin developing Battle Angel in 2017, after completing Avatar 3
Source: JoBlo

James Cameron had previously said the he only envisioned working on AVATAR for the foreseeable future. With the confirmation that AVATAR 2 and AVATAR 3 would be coming, we all but assumed that Cameron's long in development BATTLE ANGEL would fall by the wayside. That does not appear to be the case and we actually have a date to look forward to.

At the TagDF forum in Mexico City, Cameron said he plans to begin developing BATTLE ANGEL in 2017 while he is in post-production on AVATAR 3. This will be an opportunity for the filmmaker to shift his focus from developing new movie technology and to focus on character and story. This is something of a surprise because not only does it cement that he feels he will be done with the two AVATAR sequels within 4 years.

BATTLE ANGEL will be based on the BATTLE ANGEL ALITA manga that tells the story of Alita, a cyborg who has lost all memories and is found in a garbage heap by a cybernetics doctor who rebuilds and takes care of her. She discovers that there is one thing she remembers, the legendary cyborg martial art Panzer Kunst, which leads to her becoming a Hunter Warrior or bounty hunter. The story traces Alita's attempts to rediscover her past and the characters whose lives she impacts on her journey.

From his comments, it sounds as if Cameron has developed enough technology to make BATTLE ANGEL a reality. I am looking forward to what the director will be bringing to the AVATAR sequels. I enjoyed the first film and it remains the sole 3D experience I have found worthwhile at the movies. There have been many critics of the current 3D boom which many consider lackluster and trace back to AVATAR. Cameron addressed the use of post-conversion 3D in movies at the same forum:

"One thing is shooting in 3D and another is to convert to 3D...If you spend $150 million on visual effects, the film is already going to [look] spectacular [and] perfect."

Well, at least he admits there is a time and a place for 3D. I just gained new respect for him!

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://www.avclub.com/article/wait-those-avatar-sequels-just-got-even-longer-251872

The wait on those Avatar sequels just got even longer
By Danette Chavez@bonmotvivant

James Cameron is going to make three more Avatar movies regardless of how you feel about them or the Avatar Land attraction that recently opened. The director-producer has shown a little discretion—for example, he doesn't think he needs to bring Pandora to the small screen. Cameron's pretty confident that four Avatar movies are all we could ever kind of want, or not really need. That said, you'll have to wait a while before booking return passage to the land of the very tall and very blue people (and Sam Worthington). Cameron tells The Toronto Star that since he's cooking up a whole batch of Avatar movies and not just working on an individual sequel like a sucker, it'll be a while before the first one's ready.

QuoteWell, 2018 is not happening. We haven't announced a firm release date. What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So we're not making Avatar 2. We're making Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. It's an epic undertaking. It's not unlike building the Three Gorges dam. [Laughs.] So I know where I'm going to be for the next eight years of my life. It's not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we're making four. We're full tilt boogie right now. This is my day job and pretty soon we'll be 24/7. We're pretty well designed on all our creatures and sets. It's pretty exciting stuff. I wish I could share with the world. But we have to preserve a certain amount of showmanship and we're going to draw that curtain when the time is right.

We're not positive, but it sounds like the next Avatar movie won't be out until sometime next decade. Presumably by then, Worthington will be in the middle of his own McConaissance, or some similar resurgence—the Working-again-ing-ton, maybe? Well, whatever, we have plenty of time to coin an appropriate term.

Drenk

Why doesn't he make an open world game?

Anyway, I have no expectations but, well, I'm curious. I like Avatar. Even if I haven't seen it since its release because, without the 3D, it's as if the movie isn't whole.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I still don't care if it's Pocahontas, I absolutely loved Avatar with no reservations, as a 3D theater experience. "Unobtanium" is the only thing that even made me flinch. I also haven't watched it since then.

People thought Titanic would be a financial disaster. And then they somehow thought the same thing about Avatar. I think he knows what he's doing. I will gladly go see all of these movies.

Lottery

It makes sense that the James Cameron thread title is in caps.

The first hour or so of the extended cut of Avatar is great. I adore that new world exploration/science vibe. The second half isn't so great when it becomes a more typical action film.

I don't think anyone's undertaken anything like this before- but that's Cameron schtick. I hope he moves away from conventional action and drama and furthers the exploratory, science side of the franchise. So we have this masive, highly immersive 'world' experience.
I know that won't ever happen but the later drama/action stuff did very little for me- and this is James Cameron we're talking about. But if he had the balls to step away from that and properly combine his Avatar world with his academic side, that would honestly be the greatest thing he's ever done. Aside from T2 that is.

polkablues

It is concerning to me that for all his talk of the technology and the designs and the scale, he never once mentions the scripts or the story with the same level of enthusiasm. Or... at all, really.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

4K Blu-ray/Blu-ray from the new transfer on October 3, 2017. Also in theaters on August 25th.

jenkins

QuoteIF YOU COULD CONTROL ONE PIECE OF IP, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

"I generate my own stuff, so I'm not really interested in IP."

BEST OR WORST THING ABOUT HOLLYWOOD'S MERGER MANIA

"As long as people pay the bills and when I show up to work on a Monday morning, they haven't closed down my production, I could give a shit."

LAST BIG SPLURGE

"Building a sub."

YOU FIND BOB IGER'S IPHONE. WHICH CONTACT DO YOU CALL?

"I can call anybody I want. I don't need Bob Iger's cell phone."

The Hollywood Reporter 100: The Most Powerful People in Entertainment 2019

just read this one quoted and now ill look through all of them

Jeremy Blackman

Hmmm interesting. Now I have to skim through this. Cameron, Ellison, and Oprah have good answers. Kathleen Kennedy's answers are awful. Ellen's are predictably cringey, especially paired with that photo. Shame we didn't get to hear Rupert Murdoch's podcast recs though.